Originally Posted by bmohr
Love em all...and btw everyone on the road is jealous of ALL of us
+1
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
Alright girls, put the fire out on your tampon strings.
,,, Just when you think you've heard them all,...
Old 02-10-2013, 01:10 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Dear Mr. Verburg and the Porsche forum community:

I've had some sober reflection on my post to Mr. Verburg and the personal attack was absolutely uncalled for and wrong.

I offer my apologies to Mr. Verburg for my personal attack.

While I may disagree with Mr. Verburg I should have taken time to draft up a proper and measured response without any personal attacks. Other poster like Porsche964FP, mf_rsr and 911Jetta were able to make their point without any personal references. I will take their lead in the future.

I will also offer up my observation that Mr. Verburg is able to make his points without a personal attack.

I make the mistake of hitting send without giving myself a 24 hr mulling over period.

It's like yelling at TV except everyone in the world can hear you.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PChar
,,, Just when you think you've heard them all,...
That's a quote for the bank...

I've often wondered why the 993 get less tinkering than the 964 as when done right they look fantastic in the rs look....my 964 is a right Frankenstein with a few 993 bits like engine/ecu/lower arms/glass/trim & a bit of rs look bits on it & can all go back to stock look if needed but I've got it the way I've always visioned it in my head now and it just a bit of "me" now...

Now if I had a 993 I'd love the look jackal has done to his as its just yummy in yellow...hope you don't mind the borrow of the pic jackal.

When thay look this good I'm surprised we don't get more potato head 993's...

Old 02-10-2013, 01:46 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
I offer my apologies to Mr. Verburg for my personal attack.

Originally Posted by canuck964
It's like yelling at TV except everyone in the world can hear you.
another keeper
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Internet sites are indeed full of "so-called experts" but everyone has a voice, that's what makes the postings lively and interesting.

However, when a real expert comes forward, who has helped many and unselfishly researched on their behalf we should be respectful and give that person the credit they deserve.

Take a bow Bill & all the others like him.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Full marks to Canuck for doing the right thing.

Something seldom easy but which says far more about somebody than momentarily doing the wrong thing.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
well since this has degenerated into another null thread, ie you don't have a leg to stand on so you start personal attacks. I h=guess I'll sign off and leave w/ the comment that you Potato head owners need to remove each and evry 993 piepc from you prizes.

By the way don't dare ask for my help again
Good grief.

Are you really going to sulk over this?

With all due respect...

This is a 964 forum. It is full of folk passionate about a classic car of their choosing. What makes us passionate about our 964s is that we can appreciate their performance and character, which allows us to forgive their limitations.

You have a preference for 993s over other 911s. Fair enough, many do. However, your approach is denigrating of the 964. You justify your denigration by providing the objective facts that the 993 upgraded and improved on the 964.

I would say - so what? The 993 improved on the 964 because it was the next evolution of the 911.

IF objective performance/evolution was all that mattered, we should all be driving around in 996s. They're cheaper and faster, and more evolved than the 993.

But that's ridiculous. It's ridiculous for the same reason that anyone would drive around in a 20 year old Porsche 911 over a new WRX - that being that other things than objective performance/evolution actually matter, like feel, aesthetics, nostalgia, value-for-money, build quality, reliability, after-market support etc

A couple of people in this thread got offended when you took it upon yourself to point out the shortcomings and limitations of our beloved 964 platform - do you blame them? The users in this 964 forum live with and wrench on the cars everyday, and are intimately aware of the negatives.

So how about a bit of solidarity instead - "The 964 is the Mr Potato Head of the Porsche world because it is a cheap and amazingly rewarding performance platform, that shares the amazing DNA that we all love. The 993 is more evolved still, but probably not at the price point of being attractive as a project car".

When you denigrate peoples' passions, you're playing with matches - no matter how you try to dress it up.

YMMV.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

I loved my 964 cabrio very much and it paid me back by netting me a trade-in of $1,000 less then I paid for it 8 years earlier. I would think thats quite good

My 993 C4s is, IMO, the holy grail of air cooled 911's, but she wouldn't exist without the development of the 964.

I've never understood the childish BS between 964 and 993 owners, it's crazy they are both great rides, WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG AND AGREE TO ........... HATE CORVETTES !! :-)

Last edited by Ish993; 02-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:41 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fuch

I've often wondered why the 993 get less tinkering than the 964 as when done right they look fantastic in the rs look....my 964 is a right Frankenstein with a few 993 bits like engine/ecu/lower arms/glass/trim & a bit of rs look bits on it & can all go back to stock look if needed but I've got it the way I've always visioned it in my head now and it just a bit of "me" now...

Now if I had a 993 I'd love the look jackal has done to his as its just yummy in yellow...hope you don't mind the borrow of the pic jackal.

That car looks superb. Put a standard one next to it and the difference will be massive. Same thing with the 964 - the improve with a bit of meddling.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM
NeilW
Advanced

The only point of Bill's that I disagree with is lack of development and rushing the 964 to market.

When compared with the pre-89 platform you can easily see where the 85% new statistic comes from. Most of the inner chassis/frame panels are modified / strengthened, e.g. central tunnel, sills, chassis rails, etc. Not to mention coil spring suspension.

Also, I though the 4WD system was a development of the Dakar-953 transmission? Fixed front-rear ratio using epicyclic gears but with the additional control layer of electro-hydraulic clutches. By reputation it's a very durable system, over-engineered in the best tradition of Porsche. Admittedly, it is a heavy system and probably more suited to harsh road conditions than track use.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

IF objective performance/evolution was all that mattered, we should all be driving around in 996s. They're cheaper and faster, and more evolved than the 993.
The operative word there is should (not would) nevertheless not me, sorry.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 02-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Originally Posted by fuch

[IMG]http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x347/fuch964/8f6cd0a4c5052cd350a21f43c0eaf1c3.jpg/IMG]
That 993 has only 993 parts visible, so no Mr. Potato Head. nice try though, keep it up!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM
sc
Racer

+1

Except for me price wise was not an issue. My brother has a 993 and I just much prefer the 964 over all. Gotta love the torpedos!

Originally Posted by f3nr15
Good grief.

Are you really going to sulk over this?

With all due respect...

This is a 964 forum. It is full of folk passionate about a classic car of their choosing. What makes us passionate about our 964s is that we can appreciate their performance and character, which allows us to forgive their limitations.

You have a preference for 993s over other 911s. Fair enough, many do. However, your approach is denigrating of the 964. You justify your denigration by providing the objective facts that the 993 upgraded and improved on the 964.

I would say - so what? The 993 improved on the 964 because it was the next evolution of the 911.

But that's ridiculous. It's ridiculous for the same reason that anyone would drive around in a 20 year old Porsche 911 over a new WRX - that being that other things than objective performance/evolution actually matter, like feel, aesthetics, nostalgia, value-for-money, build quality, reliability, after-market support etc

A couple of people in this thread got offended when you took it upon yourself to point out the shortcomings and limitations of our beloved 964 platform - do you blame them? The users in this 964 forum live with and wrench on the cars everyday, and are intimately aware of the negatives.

So how about a bit of solidarity instead - "The 964 is the Mr Potato Head of the Porsche world because it is a cheap and amazingly rewarding performance platform, that shares the amazing DNA that we all love. The 993 is more evolved still, but probably not at the price point of being attractive as a project car".

When you denigrate peoples' passions, you're playing with matches - no matter how you try to dress it up.

YMMV.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Forget the 64 or 93 argument - exists none does - all in the hand of the driver/eye of beholder
But who/what/why is this Mr. Potato guy??

Quick Reply: Is the 964 the Mr. Potato Head of the Porsche world