Sponsored by:

964 Backdate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metalracer
These are easy mods for a competent/experienced shop and the styling has RSR and ST ques. So, in order to get there, the flares are re-worked 930s and bumpers are re-worked RSR.
How about us starting a running TAB on the items he has on this bucket list.

ie
Front and rear arches
Moving oil thermostat and pipes
Depth of luggage well reduced
Engine lid replaced (he said he used a 3.2 lid) w/chrome grill
Wing mirror holes deleted
Roll the arches
Extend bonnet / add center filler hole
Rear Light clusters w/chrome detailing
Front horn grill
Paint
Old 02-07-2013, 08:48 PM
ernestj911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is cheaper than 100k.
http://rauhwelt-usa.com/pricing/964-narrow-street/

I did see somewhere an oil line kit to make the oil lines less noticeable. For a conversion like this.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Well....i got the details.

Please find detailed indicative pricing for 911 Sport Touring as follows:

- Donor 964: provided by yourself or sourced by ourselves at cost
- Widebody conversion - All Carbon Fibre £18000
- Widebody conversion - Steel Wings and Carbon bumpers £21000
Price includes all body conversion parts and labour including panel adjustments, relocation of oil pipes and apparatus, paint, chromeware, lights, grills and badges.
- interior retrim in vinyl & high grade carpet £2600
- replica period recaros in vinyl £2300
- dash backdate £500
- 17" Fuchs £2400, tyre choice at cost
- Suspension lowering with Bilstein shocks and Koni springs inc Setup £3000
- exhaust with decat pipe £1000

The only unknown that would need clarification would be any specific bumper impact requirements for the US market. The conversion involves the removal of the front and rear aluminium irons to accommodate the backdate bumpers.

With kind regards

Johnny
Www.911sporttouring.com
Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123

Please find detailed indicative pricing for 911 Sport Touring as follows:

- Donor 964: provided by yourself or sourced by ourselves at cost
- Widebody conversion - All Carbon Fibre £18000
- Widebody conversion - Steel Wings and Carbon bumpers £21000
Price includes all body conversion parts and labour including panel adjustments, relocation of oil pipes and apparatus, paint, chromeware, lights, grills and badges.
- interior retrim in vinyl & high grade carpet £2600
- replica period recaros in vinyl £2300
- dash backdate £500
- 17" Fuchs £2400, tyre choice at cost
- Suspension lowering with Bilstein shocks and Koni springs inc Setup £3000
- exhaust with decat pipe £1000

The only unknown that would need clarification would be any specific bumper impact requirements for the US market. The conversion involves the removal of the front and rear aluminium irons to accommodate the backdate bumpers.

With kind regards

Johnny
Www.911sporttouring.com
Interesting. Wonder where they source the bumpers? Obviously would be pretty silly to send a car over the pond. Will he sell fenders and bumpers a la cart?

Bumpers look like those from a 67 911R. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by GBX; 02-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:23 PM
metalracer
Instructor

There are sources for properly made (from scratch) steel flares that copy either the RSR or ST profiles & widths. Here in the US, TRE is probably your best source for stamped steel ST flares, dunno about the RSRs. Another approach that's been successful for me is using standard 930 flares then metalworked them to get similar results to the RSRs. Same can be done for the STs but are more work because their widths are not common to any production profile (between SC or 930). The bumpers can start out as fiberglass RSRs then reduce the ends so they have more taper and glass end caps back on that match the new profile.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Shannon

Have you seen the Paul Stephens 964 back dates?
http://www.paul-stephens.com
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-new-pics.html
Nicer imo.
Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

I think I have run across his stuff sometime in the recent past....Gorgeous for sure.

You car is awesome as well......Love your comments on Black Betty...Molested !
Old 02-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

There are sources for properly made (from scratch) steel flares that copy either the RSR or ST profiles & widths. Here in the US, TRE is probably your best source for stamped steel ST flares, dunno about the RSRs. Another approach that's been successful for me is using standard 930 flares then metalworked them to get similar results to the RSRs. Same can be done for the STs but are more work because their widths are not common to any production profile (between SC or 930). The bumpers can start out as fiberglass RSRs then reduce the ends so they have more taper and glass end caps back on that match the new profile.
Metalracer....is this the kind of stuff you do as well ?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
metalracer
Instructor

Yes, I'm amidst one ST build and another right behind it. I'll get some pics up later today (hopefully). Both of these cars are built on longhood chassis, however. I backdated an '85 to 73RSR last year. Looking for a 964 candidate next!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'm amidst one ST build and another right behind it. I'll get some pics up later today (hopefully). Both of these cars are built on longhood chassis, however. I backdated an '85 to 73RSR last year. Looking for a 964 candidate next!
forgive the noob question, but what's the difference between rsr and st fenders? Shape, width, both?

Also, can anyone confirm that that front bumper is from a 911R? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The backdated look is fantastic.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 PM
metalracer
Instructor

A little history:

All of the flares from the 930 spawned from the RSR, longhood '73 being the first. The STs came before the RSRs, factory started that program in '69 or '70. STs are particularly hard to say there's a "standard" as many of them were customer ordered to be built for different race classifications. Some STs had no front flares, just standard fenders for the time. All ST and RSR fenders of the time were hand-fab'd by factory staff then many race teams went on to further modify them - or they got wrecked and the repairman of the time did whatever he did to get back into the basic shape.

RSR fenders are typically 2" wider in the rear than ST but about the same in the front. And, STs are about 1" wider than RS/SC rears. ST flares typically tapered inward to the body quite a bit as they came down to the bottom of the car. Both ST and RSR flares have a very soft shoulder along the top of the arch vs the 930 which is rather squared off. The front wheel opening profile on the RSRs and STs is squared off a bit at the, say, 10:30 and 1:30 positions. The 930s are more of constant radius wheel opening.

The bumper in question appears to be a flared R bumper.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

A little history:

All of the flares from the 930 spawned from the RSR, longhood '73 being the first. The STs came before the RSRs, factory started that program in '69 or '70. STs are particularly hard to say there's a "standard" as many of them were customer ordered to be built for different race classifications. Some STs had no front flares, just standard fenders for the time. All ST and RSR fenders of the time were hand-fab'd by factory staff then many race teams went on to further modify them - or they got wrecked and the repairman of the time did whatever he did to get back into the basic shape.

RSR fenders are typically 2" wider in the rear than ST but about the same in the front. And, STs are about 1" wider than RS/SC rears. ST flares typically tapered inward to the body quite a bit as they came down to the bottom of the car. Both ST and RSR flares have a very soft shoulder along the top of the arch vs the 930 which is rather squared off. The front wheel opening profile on the RSRs and STs is squared off a bit at the, say, 10:30 and 1:30 positions. The 930s are more of constant radius wheel opening.

The bumper in question appears to be a flared R bumper.
Great info!! Thanks a lot for that. Where are you located? Said you are looking for a 964 to backdate....
Old 02-09-2013, 08:19 PM
metalracer
Instructor

I'm in Monterey, CA. Yes, I think the 964 platform offers more versatility for someone to make it into something his/her own, practical and use-able as a street car/hot rod. This is probably why Singer has chosen the same platform for their cars without going to the expense of a 993 as the donor. I'm not looking for a donor car/chassis, rather, I meant, looking for a client to do the project with!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

I'm in Monterey, CA. Yes, I think the 964 platform offers more versatility for someone to make it into something his/her own, practical and use-able as a street car/hot rod. This is probably why Singer has chosen the same platform for their cars without going to the expense of a 993 as the donor. I'm not looking for a donor car/chassis, rather, I meant, looking for a client to do the project with!
I assume your client has a budget in mind.....would you mind sharing some numbers that you would expect to do such a project ?

I think the 911 Touring Porsche (link referenced in OP) is trying to by a very very special breed (ie Singer, RUF) since they are suggesting a 'production/serial number' for their cars. Heck....I'm just kinda wanting to get a 'driver with the look' and go from there.

Quick Reply: 964 Backdate