Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning light help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They aren't hard at all. Use a pair of pliers to compress the cross shaped spring on top of the calipers, pop it up and pull the pads out. Compress the pistons with a screwdriver or other leverage implement and slide the new pads right back in. Depending on your particular car, there may be wear sensors that you have to remove from the old pad and put in the new (if they haven't been worn, you may(?) need new sensors depending on how far gone the pads are).

The ironic thing is since you just filled up the brake fluid reservoir, you'll probably have to siphon some back out (I use a turkey baster) while pushing the pistons in as this displaces fluid in the lines back into the reservoir, and could cause the reservoir to overflow (brake fluid eats paint, so avoid this). Probably a good time to do a brake fluid flush while you're at it. Slippery slope and all
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by fogcity123
Topping it off with brake fluid did the trick! Amazing: I've been driving around for 4-5 months just ignoring the warning lights figuring it was just an "old car" thing. Nice to have them off again.
Now, do I attempt to replace my brake pads myself? Again, much harder then an '84 Porsche (or for that matter a 2001 BMW or '65 falcon - I've done all those brakes)?
You can do the brake pads. They are not that different. Chase outlined the procedure well. I would also note that your car may have vibration dampers (mushrooms) on the back's of the pads. If the pads resist sliding out, look in to see if you have them. If yes, you need to use a putty knife to slice (separate) the pads from them. The pads will then slide out and you can remove the mushrooms. Personally, I don't use the mushrooms so removal is just like standard brake calipers.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the guys above that brake pad change is easy.....unless you have bad 'spring plate lift'.....in which case the new brake pads won't fit.

Quick Reply: Warning light help