Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher Mount?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM
hamah
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Extinguisher Mount?

I want to mount a FE in my car. For a few reasons (cup holder and a VERY long amp) I'm thinking of mounting to the drivers side seat. I also thought this might be a little easier to reach when needed.

I see there are a few options including Rennline and Brey-Krause($$$ but looks great). The issue here is that these mount to the seat rails and I have my seat all the way back (might the FE be out there and in the way?).

I then saw this one at Stable Energies which mounts to the seat itself so always stays up close and out of the way (or so I think).

Any thoughts on these?

How about the FE itself? I was thinking about a Halotron 1 unit.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the" Brey" for power seats. It doesn't move,and my wife sometimes complains that the extinguisher touches her legs, if the seat is back. The "Stable" moves with the seat.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also been looking at the Stable Energies mount, as it seems to be the only one to move with the seat.

The downside is that it tends to bounce up-and-down with the extinguisher mounted, so that some have placed a pad or cushion below it to prevent that.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM
hamah
Pro

The more I read the more I'm wondering if even bothering with a FE in a car is a good idea. Seems some people think your likelihood of actually containing/eliminating a car fire using a small FE is pretty much nil and not worth the risk to limb or life.

Maybe I should just pass?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by newsboy
I have the" Brey" for power seats. It doesn't move,and my wife sometimes complains that the extinguisher touches her legs, if the seat is back. The "Stable" moves with the seat.
Also have the Brey, full forward movement of the seat is limited. My wife often unclips one of the FE strap from the mount when getting in or out. Otherwise I like it.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Hi Steve,

I went through a similar thought process and ended up putting one in an easily accessible spot in the front trunk.

In the end I figured if a fire happened it would most likely be in the engine compartment and since retrieving an extinguisher from an out-of-the-way mounting point in the cabin would probably take just as long as popping the hood and grabbing it from there, it was a much simpler solution.

Good luck!

Jim G.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hamah
The more I read the more I'm wondering if even bothering with a FE in a car is a good idea. Seems some people think your likelihood of actually containing/eliminating a car fire using a small FE is pretty much nil and not worth the risk to limb or life.

I had to use one once, to put out an engine bay fire.

Interestingly, the common 1L size of extinguisher only has 20 seconds of powder in it, only barely enough to put out a very, very small fire. In my case, it was just splash of spilled degreaser, which ignoted on the exhaust, and probably would have burned itself out in a short time anyway. I think any decent fuel or oil fire would probably require several extinguishers.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM
f3nr15
Racer

Originally Posted by hamah

Good point. If my car caught fire, I'd probably just run for my life

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
gr1275
Pro

I have a halon mounted on a Stable bracket on the driver's seat. I have had two cars catch fire, both electrical, and won't be without a FE again. I also have a quick disconnect on the battery for the same reason.
The FE may not save the car but, it might just slow the fire down enough to ensure everyone is out and away from the fire.

Gary
Old 02-01-2013, 10:09 AM
hamah
Pro

Originally Posted by gr1275
I have a halon mounted on a Stable bracket on the driver's seat. I have had two cars catch fire, both electrical, and won't be without a FE again. I also have a quick disconnect on the battery for the same reason.
The FE may not save the car but, it might just slow the fire down enough to ensure everyone is out and away from the fire.

Gary
So is the Stable mount , errr .... stable? Or does it bounce around?
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one mounted to the strut brace in the frunk, but will be picking up an incar mount as DE days require a hard mounted FE in the car

"Fire Extinguisher (Mandatory)
Minimum 2.5 lbs. Dry Chemical or Equivalent,
metal to metal installation (No plastic fasteners or brackets)"
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Rennline
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wanted to provide some clarification as we have had a couple people questioning this and referencing this thread... our Rennline Fire Extinguisher Mount does move with the seat.
http://www.rennline.com/Fire-Extinguisher-Mount-Power-Seats/productinfo/FE02/

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be going for this option here: http://www.firetrace.co.uk/applicati...le-protection/

No electrics or manual intervention required. I plan to mount the bottle on the floor behind the drivers seat and run the pressure line throught the grommet used by the loom to gain access to the engine bay.

Thats the plan anyway...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a Stable Energies in my 993. They are a great mount and allow the FE to be mounted close to the seat unlike the Brey Krause which IMHO mounts too far away from the seat and for a passenger can foul leg position.

This time I went for the 'cheaper' option using the FE mount screwed into the centre console metal. Last time I got lumbered with import taxes and admin charges when I bought the SE mount from the US and didn't want to go through that experience again.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:30 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robt964
I'll be going for this option here: http://www.firetrace.co.uk/applicati...le-protection/

No electrics or manual intervention required. I plan to mount the bottle on the floor behind the drivers seat and run the pressure line throught the grommet used by the loom to gain access to the engine bay.

Thats the plan anyway...
Rob,

Talk to me about this, we make the same system, it's called FIREFLEX, but is the same system basically.

The website is being redesigned at the moment, but if anyone wants some more info, I can email you. Just PM me.

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher Mount?