Sponsored by:

how bad is this damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swesna
I think the OP knew from the start what was up...come on. Carfax says it all...the cars asking price is obviously too high for a salvage. Wait maybe that is the reason it has been sitting at this dealership for many months.

If you want the car make an offer to the seller that you are willing to pay...pretty easy.

Also, please dont tell me you only got a carfax when someone suggested it in the thread...that would be what ... very weak.

I got the carfax from the dealer after I looked at the car and saw the damage. Current CA title is clear, perhaps it was "laundered" on its trip to Guam and back. Thread was started as stated in the first post, because I am not a 964 expert and was curious about the goop in the trunk.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it says it was exported, but I dont think it ever left California... I doubt it. May have been an attempt at washing the title... but humm what are the chances it left Cali to Guam and came back to Cali ... in a years time, and then sold shortly after that. It probably stayed in Cali where it was repaired for that year.

Do you know how long and whats involved in shipping a car overseas, and then back? It takes a while. It takes several weeks just to get one to Hawaii.

Point 2, to have a $60K or more car slavaged in 9 years with 75K on it, wasnt no minor fender bender.

The goop is probably hiding some damage or a bad repair. You need to start with an wheel alignment and then a setup and measure on a frame rack.

Point 3

My guess is the car has in excess of a 120K on it. Probably wasn't rolled back but its ceritanly easy to swap out a speedo head from another car. Sometimes, mistakes are made on Carfoxes, but there is no indication that one was made in this instance due to the time frame and apparent condition of the car around the time of the salvage title.

Great, if you wanna track car, and its striaght, which I would be surprised of and it gets checked out by a Porsche professional with a clean bill of health. Going in with no expectations of reselling for anything reasonable, then ok maybe considered it.

However, its just not a 22k car, it might be a 12k car, maybe. Might be a 6k car if there is signicant damage that shows up when its inspected and scrutinized thoroughly.

Usually the dealer is stupid and doesn't figure these things out til its too late, and dealers being dealers figure there is someone stupider than they are and unload the car to some one some where some how.

They usually know nothing about the cars other than its a Porsche.

Good luck with that bunch of nonsense... see how many hoops you can get the dealer to jump through to make a deal. The more hoops the more desperate they are.

And I don't know what Cali law is like but some places a dealer couldn't legally sell that car anyway.

Last edited by Makmov; 01-24-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I just recently bought my 964, but this car did come up in my search, glad I only looked at pictures online!

That carfax is terrible! Considering the money they are asking, this dealer is out of their mind!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I know it says it was exported, but I dont think it ever left California... I doubt it. May have been an attempt at washing the title... but humm what are the chances it left Cali to Guam and came back to Cali ... in a years time, and then sold shortly after that. It probably stayed in Cali where it was repaired for that year.

Do you know how long and whats involved in shipping a car overseas, and then back? It takes a while. It takes several weeks just to get one to Hawaii.

Point 2, to have a $60K or more car slavaged in 9 years with 75K on it, wasnt no minor fender bender.

The goop is probably hiding some damage or a bad repair. You need to start with an wheel alignment and then a setup and measure on a frame rack.

Point 3

My guess is the car has in excess of a 120K on it. Probably wasn't rolled back but its ceritanly easy to swap out a speedo head from another car. Sometimes, mistakes are made on Carfoxes, but there is no indication that one was made in this instance due to the time frame and apparent condition of the car around the time of the salvage title.

Great, if you wanna track car, and its striaght, which I would be surprised of and it gets checked out by a Porsche professional with a clean bill of health. Going in with no expectations of reselling for anything reasonable, then ok maybe considered it.

However, its just not a 22k car, it might be a 12k car, maybe. Might be a 6k car if there is signicant damage that shows up when its inspected and scrutinized thoroughly.

Usually the dealer is stupid and doesn't figure these things out til its too late, and dealers being dealers figure there is someone stupider than they are and unload the car to some one some where some how.

They usually know nothing about the cars other than its a Porsche.

Good luck with that bunch of nonsense... see how many hoops you can get the dealer to jump through to make a deal. The more hoops the more desperate they are.

And I don't know what Cali law is like but some places a dealer couldn't legally sell that car anyway.
THIS!

If you want a 964, buy a good example or you will forever be dumping money into it. Pay now or pay later. Run from this car and never look back.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:01 PM
letsrenn
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is back on the market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172488530121...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

No less scary than it was when discussed here 4 years ago. Anyone have personal knowledge of the condition of the car? The seller's pictures and description are a bit scant.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Majority of these cars have issues with odometer rollback? Umm what? Not that I remember.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Love how the seller downplays all the major issues with the car.. tries to reassure the new owners with bs. Run!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Majority of these cars have issues with odometer rollback? Umm what? Not that I remember.
Many more than most realize. It is a huge problem with these cars and many have had some odo tampering or disconnected for long periods. I wouldn't touch this one.

Quick Reply: how bad is this damage?