Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange hood clicking noise , due to cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange hood clicking noise , due to cold weather?

Hi , I am living in UK, Nottingham.
Today I've received the Steve Wong chip which I was so excited to install it.
installation went fine. and then it started to snow in the afternoon so I switched the engine on and everything seems fine so I turned it off and leave it by then.

In the evening around 8ish, I assumed it is about -5 degree outside,
I drove the car to refill petrol. and I've found these problems.

All of these occurred when the engine is on.

1) On the dash board there is a hood warning light, It blinks sometimes and I could hear clicking noise from the passenger side , under the dash. So after I parked my car at home, put the ignition to 2 position, I tried to kind of open the hood, both hood catches does not really want to release the hood, it stuck after pressing the open hood button, so I have to keep pressing it to make it open , as soon as the catches released the hood bit, the mechanism goes perfectly fine, so I press the button to close position, it went down smoothly but the same problem happened to the catches and the hood bit again, I have to keep pressing the button to make the hood to close completely.

2)idling issue, I believe most of the users found the stalling problem sorted after installing a LFW with the chip, However, I have not installed any LFW yet, but it will stall when it's idling, or sometimes the rev is not stable.

I do not usually have these problem, but they come to me all together so I am worried that my chip has gone wrong.

I've tried to replace the original chip , and disconnect the DME connector to check the hood problem, but it does not change any difference.

So I suspect it is due to the cold / snowing weather?
and nothing to deal with the DME , or the chip that I've installed...

This is my first time having a 964 in cold winter,
hope everyone can understand what I am trying to say.

Thanks a lot !
Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 AM
m3vs911
Instructor

sorry for resubmitting , to make it short , I can hear clicking noise under the passenger dash when the engine is on. very similar to the clicking sound when I press the good button..
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Not sure about the hood noise but for the idle instability, I would suggest cleaning the idle stabilization valve (ISV). It can collect dirt and carbon over the years which prevents it from moving freely.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

In addition to Rocket Robs suggestion you probably want to do a system adaptation (need scan tool/bosch hammer or equivalent) since you have rechipped the ECU
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
m3vs911
Instructor

stall problem happened to me now why all these happened to me at the same time in snowing winter...

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...ng-breaks.html
Old 01-20-2013, 06:17 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your woes...

Firstly, I am no expert, however I have read on here that these chips can cause some issues....i.e. can be a lumpy idle and prone to stalling.

My car has been chipped and I have had minor Iissues (as listed above). My car also has a cat bypass and the O2 sensor has been disconnected (I think you have to do this so that it runs? Not sure if this is the case for the chip or cat bypass?

I read the following post, just to get some perspective and balance on the whole tuning subject and found it to be informative.

Hope you get it sorted!

Cheers

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html

Quick Reply: strange hood clicking noise , due to cold weather?