Sponsored by:

C4 Shifting problem all of a sudden...no reverse/5th

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Shifting problem all of a sudden...no reverse/5th

After reading a lot of posts, I havent found exactly what my problem is. I did start working on the car and took a few pictures whichI can post. Here is the situation. Driving home the other night, I was down shifting to a stop light. going from 2nd to 1st it seemed tough to shift then I heard a "spinning" noise and it stayed on while I started out in 1st then I shifted fine up through 4th. However, I noticed then I have to 5th gear or reverse. (which are both on opposite sides of course) but 1st-4th shifts as normal. as ideas why I cant physically engage the gear? the shifter literally wont allow me to push into the gear as if it had something blocking me out. I went ahead and took off the skid pates/tunnel. I took the boot down from the linkage area. the linkage looks intact from what I can see. As I move to the rear of the shaft there is another boot that is leaking clear fluid (gear oil) tranny fluid? and its also seeping out of the bolts. I'm trying to figure out why I cant engage reverse nor 5th but 1-4 feels great. hoping its not an internal gear issue. any other thoughts on what else to check while Im evaluating. thank you. car specs - very well maintained. 964 C4. fluids always fresh yearly. never tracked. 100,000 miles mostly highway cruising in the last 15,000.
-Frank
Old 01-14-2013, 03:21 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If you turn the engine off, can you put the transmission into either 5th or reverse? If yes, then I would suspect you have a clutch related issue. If not, then I would want to drain the transmission oil to check for anything. A leak in the tranny could cause a oil spot on the floor but shouldn't cause this symptom.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

The answer is no, when the car is off you cannot put it into reverse nor 5th. Im sure the clutch is fine. must be something in the transmission or linkage got out of wack. I contacted some local mechanics. they all are confused sine reverse AND 5th is out. the two seem to be different things but happend all at once while shifting. Ive pulled the boots apart things look normal except for that minor leak. I will try to change fluid and then go round two. not usre where to begin though with the transmission, if that even is the issue.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:02 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

also...tying to upload pictures of my car. I believe he quality is too high. working on that also... thanks
Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC, there is a common "link" between R and 5th.

When I had an issue, my guy (from 2K miles away) had me try R and 5th to eliminate this...for the life of me, I cannot remember what it is though...and I ain't pulling trays off to go look, sorry.

The answer will appear here though....

Edit: Wait, it's in the tranny (IIRC, hope I'm wrong...but)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

thank you gentlemen much appreciated!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

I wish I knew "what" I was looking for... the shops want to pull the transmission but as of a few months ago it was in pristine order. you never know though. I have it in my garage hoping to diagnose it my self with some help from you all. thanks again. I ll try to upload some pictures if that will be of any help.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:54 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I use to occasionally have a like problem in my 77 911. It was the connector in the back floor would get loose. Dont know if a 964 has the same setup.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Reverse and 5th gear are to the extreme left & right of the shift pattern. This is a shot in the dark, but maybe your shift coupler bushings are worn out.
You are looking at item #12 which is the shift rod, right end where item #13 & #14 is, is where the shift coupler lives, it has 2 bushings that can wear out. Give it a check.
Added picture of shift coupler.

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

Thanks a lot for the images. I was just looking at those parts underneath. What is the rod that the arrow is pointing to? ( is it same as above rod #12) I will go take another look.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

also how does that piece com apart to be able to see the bushing?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ducaporsche-c4
Thanks a lot for the images. I was just looking at those parts underneath. What is the rod that the arrow is pointing to? ( is it same as above rod #12) I will go take another look.
Yes it's the #12 rod, and you will find tha universal joint under a rubber boot, and very close to where the rod disappears into the transmission. (this is a C2 tho)

Name:  911379.jpg
Views: 1570
Size:  53.2 KB

Originally Posted by ducaporsche-c4
also how does that piece com apart to be able to see the bushing?
The bushings are pressed into the joint, but you can hold one end and wiggle the other to see if there is tons of play.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

ok awesome! thank you. I just went through the whole service manual and didnt see anything for that part (as far as working on it) but I found a nice picture that shows what you just showed me. Ill check it out and write back.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you find that the shift coupler is the problem, you may want to exchange it for one of THESE No affiliation............
It will give you a lot more direct feel shifting gears.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 PM
ducaporsche-c4
Track Day

Thanks I appreciate it. I cant imagine any shifting better than my 964. it has been my favorite car I have ever owned by far. This systems are complex ( generally speaking) but worth the effort as we love to drive our cars and they respond as if it was part of the driver. my 2 cents on porsche Im praying this "bump in the road" ive experienced is not a major service. cant spare any money these days. lets hope its nothing more than the bushing. many shops ive talked to say its internal and the drivetrain needs pulled out and gears in tranny rebuilt/syncros ect. Im hoping to prove them wrong. thank for all the advice much appreciated!!

Quick Reply: C4 Shifting problem all of a sudden...no reverse/5th