Sponsored by:

Squeaky fan noise in cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM
aircooledbug
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Squeaky fan noise in cabin?

The fan for the heater/blower on the dash of my car is squeaking - not all the time but as time goes on more so. It seems to also react to the steering wheel being turned which I find a bit odd.

After doing a bit of searching I am confused as to whether this is coming from the actual control unit where there appears to be a fan:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-1989...y-ccu-fan.html

Or from the large fan under the front boot lid behind the firewall:
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=819335#819335

Has anyone else had this who can confirm which one to take apart and re lubricate?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The CCU fan in the dash will continue to run for up to 20 minutes after the car is switched off. Does the noise go away when the car is turned off?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a thread posting up pics of the fan'ectomy for the two fans up front. Older 911's had a single fan but the 964 and 993 both use two fans of hideously expensive variety. If yours JUST started squeaking - go do the fan'ectomy and hope you can lube them. No - they cannot be effectively lubed while installed, or even with the covers off or out of the way. You have to pull the fan assembly out of the housing to get to the rear bushing and press the fan-blade off the shaft to get to the front bushing. I hear tell that aerosol antisieze is THE way to go - and you'll have to order it.

Worth it? If your bushings aren't all wibbly-wobbly already then YES worth it! Because new fans will set you back $1k each. And my advice having done the used fan thing is don't. They seemed perfect and squeaked 3 days after install.

Doing the fan'ectomy isn't too bad at all - heck if you were in Houston and you had new parts I'd do the labor for you for a pretty reasonable fee.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a very common problem on these aging cars. the noise you hear is from the 2 fans in the dash, they need a little TLC. New fans will cost you around $1000.00 each, so the obvious choice is to lubricate the old ones.Do a search and you will find all kinds of info on DIY.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Originally Posted by Laker
The CCU fan in the dash will continue to run for up to 20 minutes after the car is switched off. Does the noise go away when the car is turned off?
I haven't noticed (or paid attention). It I turn the speed on the blower dial it can make it worse or stop it completely for a while. This always effects it in some way.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:07 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
I did a thread posting up pics of the fan'ectomy for the two fans up front. Older 911's had a single fan but the 964 and 993 both use two fans of hideously expensive variety. If yours JUST started squeaking - go do the fan'ectomy and hope you can lube them. No - they cannot be effectively lubed while installed, or even with the covers off or out of the way. You have to pull the fan assembly out of the housing to get to the rear bushing and press the fan-blade off the shaft to get to the front bushing. I hear tell that aerosol antisieze is THE way to go - and you'll have to order it.

Worth it? If your bushings aren't all wibbly-wobbly already then YES worth it! Because new fans will set you back $1k each. And my advice having done the used fan thing is don't. They seemed perfect and squeaked 3 days after install.

Doing the fan'ectomy isn't too bad at all - heck if you were in Houston and you had new parts I'd do the labor for you for a pretty reasonable fee.
It has just started. Sorry for being a little stupid on this but are the fans you are talking about accessed from under the front bonnet/hood under the fuse box and reserve petrol/gas expansion tank?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 PM
aircooledbug
Racer

Originally Posted by crg53
It's a very common problem on these aging cars. the noise you hear is from the 2 fans in the dash, they need a little TLC. New fans will cost you around $1000.00 each, so the obvious choice is to lubricate the old ones.Do a search and you will find all kinds of info on DIY.

Just about to search it and look for rallydog's thread...

Thanks all
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I had some success a couple years ago spraying Lithium grease onto the spline - don't use WD 40.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antgtv
It has just started. Sorry for being a little stupid on this but are the fans you are talking about accessed from under the front bonnet/hood under the fuse box and reserve petrol/gas expansion tank?
yes, and there are two a left and right that spin in opposite directions. If it just started you might get away with taking it out and giving it a shot of lithium. I have had some success doing that, while other times not: they are either too worn out or the squeek comes back.

Its a bit of job to get them out and you do need to make or get a special tool to extract them from the airbox.

The problem is they didn't use sealed bearings and eventually dirt gets in and the start making noise. They are pressed together in a way that makes it virtually impossible to get them apart to replace the offending bearings without distroying the case.

I have also tried used fans and had 1 in 4 that actually were good.

You can get new fans for about $900 ea.

If the old fan is wobbley at all its done, you will have to replace it. The nosie in relation to steering inputs is normal its the fan loading differently and sign that worn out beyond just a lube.

We have been looking into a practical way of rebuilding old ones. I have seen about 6 different cars with the same problem and repaired 5 and 1 decline. Everyone has been unique in what it took to fix it, but lube has never been a long term solution.

Agreed, dont use anything like WD40, it is an electric motor and WD40 is very flameable so its a good way to burn your car down to the ground. Plus it wont last long enough.

The little fan behind the CCU likely will never squeek, it just works or doesnt.

Last edited by Makmov; 01-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
.......The little fan behind the CCU likely will never squeek, it just works or doesnt.
My CCU fan did squeak...after the car was about 10 years old.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Rik63
7th Gear

Unhappy need a step by step instruction "pictures would do" on how to reach the two front fan

I have an irritating squeak coming from one of my front fans, does anyone have instructions or pictures on how to properly access these fans.....

Two thumb's Rik
Old 07-09-2019, 01:03 PM
Rik63
7th Gear

Do you have any additional pictures?
Old 07-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

go here

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...an-ectomy.html
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Rik63
7th Gear

Thanks that was spot on with what I was looking for!

Quick Reply: Squeaky fan noise in cabin?