Sponsored by:

diagnostic tester & DME relation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM
ricks93-964
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default diagnostic tester & DME relation

I have a 1993 (manufacture date of 8/92) C4 that the check engine light has recently come on. This happened after a major tuneup by yours truly. I rechecked all of my connections (sparks, O2) and found one loose spark plug connection which I fixed, but no change in the check engine light. To read the code, I have tried using the "turn on the ignition and hold the gas pedal down" technique with no results and read that the micro-switch on the throttle body may be the culprit, but I can't locate it (help here). So I thought that I would go and purchase a diagnostic tester for the 964. Interesting experience: forget the Bosh Hammer and Durametric, they are ridiculously priced for my simple needs. Upon further reading, I found Tore's T-ODB diagnostic tool at Bergvill F/X that can be used in conjunction with the free scantool software developed by Ricardo over on Rennlist. Going to Bergvill F/X I see that they sell 1) T-OBD - Diagnostics For Porsche 968, 964 and 993 and 2) a OBD adapter Porsche 19-pin (my C4 is a 19-pin). So my second question is: in addition to the free scantool software, are these the only components that I need to purchase to read the codes on my 964 C4? Additionally, I managed to get myself even more confused by stumbling across a DME discussion - are there different stock DME's for my C4? (VIN:WP0AB2960PS420163) and how does the DME relate to engine codes?

many thanks in advance for helping to unconfuse me.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the things C4 owners have to deal with is cycling the differential locks while flushing the brake fluid. I believe the only other tool that does this besides Durametric and the Original Hammer is this self-contained and car powered PDT999 unit. http://home.kpn.nl/mirjam_paul/diagn...ls_pdt999.html I have one and love it.

If you post up your location you may find a fellow and local RL'er will scan your car for a 6-pack of beer.

Quick Reply: diagnostic tester & DME relation