Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 backdate to 1973 Gulf 3.0 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the good insight. Looks like 964 C2 coupes are rare these days. Out of 2,600+ 911's on cars.cm in the US, 4 of them are 964 C2 coupes.

Originally Posted by tomato
I've had a few 911's in the past and the sad fact is that I cant drive one properly, I've come close to serious injury in the 993 3.8 RS I had but with the 530 HP 993 Turbo I owned I never had a problem. I also had a Misubishi Evo VI - it didnt have ABS and we also came unstuck a few times. I like AWD, I like ABS. We drive to Denmark and Switzerland a bit and they're useful things to have. Hillclimbs and Sprints in the wet would also be more fun

IMHO whether the 964 has done 40,000 miles or 140,000 miles it is its condition today that matters the most. I also think they're greatvalue. Whatever you buy get a thorough check. I bought a delivery mileage Lancia Integrale once that had been on its roof. I now check everything.

Non sunroof looks superb from the inside ( nice clean metal) and welding in a new panel would have annoyed me looking at it. To save much money I also didnt remove the engine and most of the ancillaries etc as it wasnt being completely colour changed - Porsche kindly ' dust' the inside bits with the paint guns when they paint them. In the UK if you change the registration documents from one colour to another it flags it up every time anyone checks the car on the finance registers ' warning this vehicle has been colour changed' etc

Looking at your garage I'm guessing your budget might go a bit beyond mine, I'd like to have fitted big red brakes, Jenvey throttle bodies and taken another 150KG's out of the car. Maybe even bolt on a supercharger...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by ALEX P
I know a lot of people modify Vitaloni Sebrings onto the standard flag or cup mirror base and I did this but couldn't really get on with them as I felt visibility was too compromised, same as the mirrors that mount onto the quarter glass (although they look great).

The mirrors you are looking at look quite similar to the Vitalini Californias. I've just done a quick trial on these by modifying a pair of flag bases to accept the mirrors as I didn't want to have to fill the holes in the door yet.

I like the look of them because they're not too big and modern like I feel the cups mirrors are on older/backdated cars but they're still functional and cheap as chips.
Thanks Alex, helpful advice.

My holes are already filled and I do fancy a couple of these black Italian ones. I'm just worried that they go floppy no matter how hard you tighten them.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Did a search and found this:

More here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mirrors-2.html
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
tomato
Instructor

Default Exhaust on

The Fabspeed exhaust is a thing of beauty. Small amount of jiggling to get it attached. Shame I'll be paiting it with acid to dull it...
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 11:23 AM
tomato
Instructor

Interior has come out much better than I thought...had to put a small sticker or two on...couldnt wait

They have welded in a metal gearbox tunnel surround from an old 944 so the rubber gaitor from a 74 fits. The rest looks very period anyway. seat mounts went straight into the old holes
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
tomato
Instructor

I thought if I put these on early they might get aged/ damaged during the final fit - saving me the trouble
Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2013, 11:42 AM
tomato
Instructor

Default Aircon + oil cooler

It is looking like a very snug fit for the AC radiator, we cant really tell until I buy the correct wheels ( Ive bought two sets that dont fit ) . One of their clients is looking at fitting two smaller rads either side, big money, he lives in Hong Kong so probably needs it and is probably wealthier than me. The second photo shows the space behind the bumper on the offisde. I'm thinking I get a new AC radiator made to sit behind the front grill as it looks a bit naked ( the oil cooler isnt there its round the side) . That front opening looks big and shlurpy, I'm thinking it is perfect for sucking small Dachshunds off pavements, giddy up...*

*For my USA friends this is "...suckin' weiner dogs off the sidewalk yeehah..."
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM
tomato
Instructor

Front and rear bonnet pins fitted complete with old period screws. He's left one rear shock for the engine cover, works perfectly. No struts for the front fibreglass bonnet, I'll invest in a stick of balsa wood

Wasn't sure about the black headlights but now they're on I like them as there is no other chrome anywhere. They've also been ' dulled' by dipping them in truck wash.

They changed the windscreen washers to new, black but 1974 looking ones. £2 each.

The white thing on the front bumper is the stick on front number plate, also made by my trusty new friend who sells caravan accessories, slightly smaller than standard size in a 1974 font with a 1974 style reflective background
Attached Images    
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM
tomato
Instructor

..aah now I see what post preview is for...I used to live in Australia...sorry my bad on the upside down photo
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM
tomato
Instructor

Oil cooler pipes have been blacked and had period clips and fasteners added
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 PM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by RichiRich
Did a search and found this:

More here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...mirrors-2.html
Thanks Richirich, ordered a pair of Vitaloni's today, £20 each from Europa
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 AM
tomato
Instructor

Default help - wheels needed!

Now been d****d about on the third set of wheels I've tried to buy

If anyone in Europe knows of or has a set of 16" Fuchs, 7's and 9's, at a sensible price, please get in touch, cosmetics not important at all but not damaged or damaged repaired

The car needs to come off the ramp!

I do of course have a lovely set of rocking horse pooh, very fat 9's and 11's very period copies to sell ( see previous posting) complete with lovely Cinturato's
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomato
Now been d****d about on the third set of wheels I've tried to buy

If anyone in Europe knows of or has a set of 16" Fuchs, 7's and 9's, at a sensible price, please get in touch, cosmetics not important at all but not damaged or damaged repaired

The car needs to come off the ramp!

I do of course have a lovely set of rocking horse pooh, very fat 9's and 11's very period copies to sell ( see previous posting) complete with lovely Cinturato's
I thought I'd found a cheap solution to getting the right wheels, I found a chap selling his period Compomotive 7's and 8's on a Porsche Club GB advert from 6 years ago. I emailed him and he still had them for sale! This would give me two sets of Compomotive split rims and I could swap the Fuchs style centres over giving me a set of 7's and 9's. Bingo! I called Compomotive and the guy there confirmed that it was possible...
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM
tomato
Instructor

Sadly it isnt possible as:
1. One set are 16's and the other are 15's
2. One set are three piece and the others are two piece

Bow locks. As pro9 want my car off their ramp we're using the 7's and 8's 16" cross spoke style wheels with spacers, they'll be sand blasted, the centres will be painted gloss black, the bolts will be stainless steel and the rims will be satin black. I'll get a set of Fuchs later. I thought of doing them in a period gold but with Gulf Blue I'm not so sure
Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
tomato
Instructor

I'll buy a set just like these later on in the year...RSR finish on 7's and 9's ...perfection
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 964 C4 backdate to 1973 Gulf 3.0 RS