Originally Posted by H2O LOL
Gulf cage please.
Gulf cage it is then!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 AM
tomato
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back from the paint shop...looking very Gulfy

Hopefully ready for a quick trip via Reims to Le Mans in June...photos are taken inside so the Gulf Blue looks a little white....I'll take some snaps outside
Attached Images    
Old 04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One question were did you get the ducktail from?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM
RichiRich
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Looking good
Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Looks fabulous, as does the trick looking 914 next to you
Old 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sire
One question were did you get the ducktail from?
Pro9 Porsche in the Midlands supplied it, £180 from memory.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomato
Hopefully ready for a quick trip via Reims to Le Mans in June...photos are taken inside so the Gulf Blue looks a little white....I'll take some snaps outside
If you look at the mass of AC and oil coolers at the front and exhaust etc at the back ( below the line of the wings and f/r bonnets) you can see why teeny RS or R bumpers really dont even get close to fitting without expensive relocation. The 3.0 RS / IROC look saved much money.

The rear arches look fine, the 964 lines are impossible to make out, pleased with that part
Old 04-09-2013, 10:55 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

I'd like to do a project like this. What is the ideal donor car characteristics?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4forme
I'd like to do a project like this. What is the ideal donor car characteristics?
Judging by your garage you wont be wanting Carrera 4 as a donor car!

If you read the first post you can see the thinking behind this project, basically backdate a 964 ( power steering, ABS, aircon and reliablity) into a classic package
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM
tomato
Instructor

I like these wing mirrors, I need really to have two ( I'll be driving in Europe a bit and one mirror on a RHD isnt enough) and the tiny ones that tuck into the corner of the quarter glass are useless. I think these are Vitaloni
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
4forme
Burning Brakes

I read the whole thread beginning to end. Loved it! It has inspired me to do something similar. Is there a reason to select a 964 C4 over a C2? Guessing a non sunroof rust free car is preferred, does a low mileage donor car provide any benefits over a lower priced high mileage example?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
tomato
Instructor

Default One with a photo...

I like these wing mirrors, I need really to have two ( I'll be driving in Europe a bit and one mirror on a RHD isnt enough) and the tiny ones that tuck into the corner of the quarter glass are useless. I think these are Vitaloni
Heres the photo...
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
tomato
Instructor

I like this style of front Gulf stripe, it'll be have a more solid black outline and go all the way down the back.

We didnt paint the bumpers in Orange as this wouldnt have been done in the 1970's - they'll be vinyl
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
tomato
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4forme
I read the whole thread beginning to end. Loved it! It has inspired me to do something similar. Is there a reason to select a 964 C4 over a C2? Guessing a non sunroof rust free car is preferred, does a low mileage donor car provide any benefits over a lower priced high mileage example?
I've had a few 911's in the past and the sad fact is that I cant drive one properly, I've come close to serious injury in the 993 3.8 RS I had but with the 530 HP 993 Turbo I owned I never had a problem. I also had a Misubishi Evo VI - it didnt have ABS and we also came unstuck a few times. I like AWD, I like ABS. We drive to Denmark and Switzerland a bit and they're useful things to have. Hillclimbs and Sprints in the wet would also be more fun

IMHO whether the 964 has done 40,000 miles or 140,000 miles it is its condition today that matters the most. I also think they're greatvalue. Whatever you buy get a thorough check. I bought a delivery mileage Lancia Integrale once that had been on its roof. I now check everything.

Non sunroof looks superb from the inside ( nice clean metal) and welding in a new panel would have annoyed me looking at it. To save much money I also didnt remove the engine and most of the ancillaries etc as it wasnt being completely colour changed - Porsche kindly ' dust' the inside bits with the paint guns when they paint them. In the UK if you change the registration documents from one colour to another it flags it up every time anyone checks the car on the finance registers ' warning this vehicle has been colour changed' etc

Looking at your garage I'm guessing your budget might go a bit beyond mine, I'd like to have fitted big red brakes, Jenvey throttle bodies and taken another 150KG's out of the car. Maybe even bolt on a supercharger...
Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a lot of people modify Vitaloni Sebrings onto the standard flag or cup mirror base and I did this but couldn't really get on with them as I felt visibility was too compromised, same as the mirrors that mount onto the quarter glass (although they look great).

The mirrors you are looking at look quite similar to the Vitalini Californias. I've just done a quick trial on these by modifying a pair of flag bases to accept the mirrors as I didn't want to have to fill the holes in the door yet.

I like the look of them because they're not too big and modern like I feel the cups mirrors are on older/backdated cars but they're still functional and cheap as chips.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 964 C4 backdate to 1973 Gulf 3.0 RS