Sponsored by:

Oil leak RH wheel arch

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak RH wheel arch

I have a leak on one of the pipes that I assume leads to the tank from the engine bay. I did search briefly for this topic but couldn't find any similar posts (I'm sure they're there, apologies).

Just checking if all I need to do is replace these to fix it, and do I presume this is best done during an oil change to minimise too much black stuff everywhere?

And would someone know the part numbers I need for the pipes please?

Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Henry, I went over this at a high level in a recent thread.
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/showthread.php?t=724399

You're going to want to degrease and pressure wash the whole area before you start to minimize the risk of debris getting into the oiling system.

You definitely want to have the oil drained from the car prior to starting, otherwise it will drain when you remove these lines.

I cut off the old hoses. The clearance available to install the new hoses is very limited, so you will need to loosen the oil tank mounts a bit to get them in there. Putting each hose in boiling water for a bit immediately before installation makes them go on so much easier.

This is probably a good time to replace the hoses to the thermostat at the bottom of the tank too.

The part # for the two hoses you pictured is 964.207.217.00 for the straight one and 964.207.130.04 for the one w/ a bump in it.

The part numbers for the two hoses at the bottom of the tank to the thermostat vary depending on the thermostat on the car. You need to remove the shark fin and see the part # on your thermostat housing in order to know which lines to order.

Look at my thread for the part # for some BMW hose clamps that are inexpensive and work perfect for this application.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

Great! My query answered comprehensively in no time at all. Cheers Vandit

Last edited by Havana Henry; 11-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:50 PM
nhdoc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd certainly first try tightening the clamp a little before making a big job out of it. It looks to me like it is leaking at the hose's end and it might need nothing more than a turn of the screw on the clamp to fix it. I don't think those hoses are under any pressure and it might last another 20 years if just snugged up. Just a thought.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM
sturm
Racer

Originally Posted by nhdoc
I'd certainly first try tightening the clamp a little before making a big job out of it. It looks to me like it is leaking at the hose's end and it might need nothing more than a turn of the screw on the clamp to fix it. I don't think those hoses are under any pressure and it might last another 20 years if just snugged up. Just a thought.
Mine let go while on the track coming into a hard left corner. I'm still not sure how I didn't immediately spin and go off. I would replace all hoses while in there.

'93rsa 3.8

Quick Reply: Oil leak RH wheel arch