Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble between seat rails and mounts

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012 | 12:30 PM
BillyB
Racer

Default Wobble between seat rails and mounts

I have a very noticeable movement between the seat mount and the rails on my drivers OEM "comfort" seat. There is some movement on both sides, put particularly at the front of the right-hand rail.

The mounts seem to run on ball bearings, which sit on the rails. I guess a rather heavy previous owner has worn groves in the rails and/or mounts or worn the bearings down! I can't think of any other way the movement has occurred.

Has anyone had this before and fixed it?

(and also is there any way to buy trim screws? One of my door pockets is missing a screw and hanging off at one end)
Old 11-16-2012 | 04:34 AM
BillyB
Racer

FWIW, in case any one finds this, I mis-described the wobble - it was actually between the two halves of the rails ie between the half bolted to the floor and the half bolted to the seat. I simply bent the upper rail a little to grip the lower rail tighter. Slightly worrying that the rails can be bent with mole grips!
Old 11-16-2012 | 08:43 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

You can get the trim screws from porsche - they aren't too expensive.

One trusts that the seat rails are designed to be strong in the areas that matter! Obviously you are bolted to the car frame in two places and the seat in one place, so most of the seat belt load is placed on the body of the car not the seat frame. I guess the forces involed when the belt is restraining you are mostly pulling the seat forward on the rail rather than up, so maybe little wear related wobble isn't too much of a worry.

Quick Reply: Wobble between seat rails and mounts