Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early 964 rear shock adapters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:06 PM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought a set of these last week on EBay in the hope that I can use them with Koni FSD's which aren't available for the early 964's. I haven't tried them yet so can't give a definitive answer.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:45 AM
ALSPEAKE
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ffc
I bought a set of these last week on EBay in the hope that I can use them with Koni FSD's which aren't available for the early 964's. I haven't tried them yet so can't give a definitive answer.
Chris Franklin @ Center Gravity here in the UK adapted Rennline mono ball top mounts to fit Koni FSD to my 1989 964. Brilliant set up. They are so helpful and friendly, turned my car ,which was dangerous at any speed on a bumpy road, into sublime, compliant, safe fast car! All the of the above is of course fairly academic if you're in the states.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
ffc
Racer

Originally Posted by ALSPEAKE
Chris Franklin @ Center Gravity here in the UK adapted Rennline mono ball top mounts to fit Koni FSD to my 1989 964. Brilliant set up. They are so helpful and friendly, turned my car ,which was dangerous at any speed on a bumpy road, into sublime, compliant, safe fast car! All the of the above is of course fairly academic if you're in the states.
Good to know. I am wary of going the KW or Bilstein route as I don't want a crippling ride and FSD's seemed to be a good compromise.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Looks like my 4x4 days are numbered. Can't wait to feel the car drive like it was designed to drive.

Originally Posted by ffc
+1 Looks like I'll be just behind you. Also thanks for confirming it's a real product.

I've narrowed my suspension choice to either Bilstein B6 HDs with HR green/purple springs. Or something from Koni.

Is the FSD damper a better shock than the Koni Sports (better quality, better damping)? With the FSD shock, it looks like the damping is pre-set and built-in - maybe this is a better quality design. Are they softer than Koni sports dampers? Koni sports have an adjustment **** at the top of the shock, but I'm sure it a set it and forget it thing...

Koni categorizes FSD dampers as "performance" and Koni Sport dampers as "sport and tuning". Maybe I'm reading too much into that...

It looks like neither Koni has a threaded perch to adjust ride height? Is this true?
Bilstein HDs have threads, that alone may be reason enough for me to go with the Bilsteins...

Originally Posted by ffc
Good to know. I am wary of going the KW or Bilstein route as I don't want a crippling ride and FSD's seemed to be a good compromise.
I don't want anything harsh either, just better quality motion control.

In the end it seems like there is little real world difference between either Bilstein HD B6 (with HR green/purple springs) or Koni FSD with Eibach springs.

Would love to hear any feedback.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 AM
ffc
Racer

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Looks like my 4x4 days are numbered. Can't wait to feel the car drive like it was designed to drive.

+1 Looks like I'll be just behind you. Also thanks for confirming it's a real product.

I've narrowed my suspension choice to either Bilstein B6 HDs with HR green/purple springs. Or something from Koni.

Is the FSD damper a better shock than the Koni Sports (better quality, better damping)? With the FSD shock, it looks like the damping is pre-set and built-in - maybe this is a better quality design. Are they softer than Koni sports dampers? Koni sports have an adjustment **** at the top of the shock, but I'm sure it a set it and forget it thing...

Koni categorizes FSD dampers as "performance" and Koni Sport dampers as "sport and tuning". Maybe I'm reading too much into that...

It looks like neither Koni has a threaded perch to adjust ride height? Is this true?
Bilstein HDs have threads, that alone may be reason enough for me to go with the Bilsteins...

I don't want anything harsh either, just better quality motion control.

In the end it seems like there is little real world difference between either Bilstein HD B6 (with HR green/purple springs) or Koni FSD with Eibach springs.

Would love to hear any feedback.
From what I read the FSD's must be used with the OEM springs and not aftermarket lowering models. Obviously a drawback if you want a stance change.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 PM
ALSPEAKE
Advanced

Default ALSPEAKE

Originally Posted by ffc
From what I read the FSD's must be used with the OEM springs and not aftermarket lowering models. Obviously a drawback if you want a stance change.
I've used my FSD,s with Eibach Pro springs. Ride hight is RS + 5mm. Absolutely no problems.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:03 PM
ffc
Racer

Originally Posted by ALSPEAKE
I've used my FSD,s with Eibach Pro springs. Ride hight is RS + 5mm. Absolutely no problems.
Most of the ads I read say they must be used with standard springs which is a pain as finding new ones is hard. Good to know it's not true.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:09 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Koni FSD's can be used with lowering springs as long as they don't excessively lower the car such that it rides on the bump rubbers with frequency. The Eibach Pro Kit springs work perfectly with FSD and Koni actually packages them together for the 1145 kits.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...-1145-1045.htm

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 06-24-2016, 03:28 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
Koni FSD's can be used with lowering springs as long as they don't excessively lower the car such that it rides on the bump rubbers with frequency.[/url]
Unfortunately, measuring bump and rebound travel is something that not even "pro" shops will bother to check, let alone 99.9% of anyone going after the lowered "look".
Old 06-24-2016, 03:35 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by -nick
Unfortunately, measuring bump and rebound travel is something that not even "pro" shops will bother to check, let alone 99.9% of anyone going after the lowered "look".
Stick with the Eibach Pro Kit springs and you'll be fine.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 AM
ffc
Racer

Koni FSD's can be used with lowering springs as long as they don't excessively lower the car such that it rides on the bump rubbers with frequency. The Eibach Pro Kit springs work perfectly with FSD and Koni actually packages them together for the 1145 kits.

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pors...-1145-1045.htm
Are they Koni sport dampers rather than FSD? I am asking from a position of almost complete ignorance with this, I'm just trying to avoid making mistakes when I do this.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ffc
Are they Koni sport dampers rather than FSD? I am asking from a position of almost complete ignorance with this, I'm just trying to avoid making mistakes when I do this.
Yes sir, the 1145 kits do use the Koni Sport Yellow shocks but the springs included are the Eibach Pro Kit springs which work well with FSD as well.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:11 PM
ALSPEAKE
Advanced

Default ALSPEAKE

Yes sir, the 1145 kits do use the Koni Sport Yellow shocks but the springs included are the Eibach Pro Kit springs which work well with FSD as well.
I can confirm they work perfectly well with Eibach Pro springs.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep... just got a set on eBay..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232088326105
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Thanks for the heads up Doppelganger.

Given the limited availability of shocks for the earlier cars...

If I understand this correctly, this spacer would allow you to use any shock on an earlier car.

Can anyone confirm that?

I see these are available here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...tW2Lhb&vxp=mtr

Has anyone had issues with these types of adapters above? I've only found them on Ebay. They do not seem too complicated, but curious if folks have had success with them to use shocks designed for the later model 964s? Really opens up options for us with the earlier cars.

Quick Reply: early 964 rear shock adapters