Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the LWFW setup something I should invest in for the 964?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LWFW setup something I should invest in for the 964?

I dont need this yet as the clutch seems fine. But my intentions are to drop the engine/trans within the next 6-months.

Therefore, I figured at that time I might as well convert over to a LWFW.

Is this the correct setup and is it worth doing?

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...ure-plate.html

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 AM
swesna
Burning Brakes

PS...I know I need to buy some additional parts...like the LWFW.

I am assuming I will need to buy all of the parts listed in the notes section of this link:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...=PEL-FWC-C2C4N

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 10-17-2012, 01:58 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I drove my car with the DMF, and a 94 C2 with LWF, back-to-back. There is a difference you will notice. Clutch-in, the engine spools up and down much faster. Clutch out, the engine pulls the full weigth of the car. You do not notice the LWF when the clutch is engaged. You will accelerate faster with less rotating mass, but not enough that you would notice.

The DMF is supposed to be better for smooth launches and less chattering in the drive line. I did not notice any difference between the two cars for driveline noise, and both launched off-the-line just fine. I will install the LWF mod if I ever need to drop the engine. Thankfully it runs great, and my budget is safe for a while.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^
Good comments, really helpful and clear info.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

thanks for the feedback. i will probably pull the trigger and if decide not to go forward with it...then just sell the parts.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I drove my car with the DMF, and a 94 C2 with LWF, back-to-back. There is a difference you will notice. Clutch-in, the engine spools up and down much faster. Clutch out, the engine pulls the full weigth of the car. You do not notice the LWF when the clutch is engaged. You will accelerate faster with less rotating mass, but not enough that you would notice.
Have to say that I felt that the car was far more urgent after the LWF was fitted. The biggest difference being the reduced lag when up-shifting whilst accelerating hard. With the DMF the revs would drop slower on the change but there would be a noticeable flat spot before they started to rise again under throttle. With the LWF, the revs drop faster but bang straight back in to the power band under throttle.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Track car - yes.
Street car - maybe.

YYMV with stalling problems, especially with AC on - not an issue in a track car.

I have one and would do it again but my car is 95% track.

Marc
Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Having had access to both recently, the DMF makes street driving much less tiresome. With the SMF, the motor is terrifically responsive, especially its ability to rip off quick heel and toe downshifts.
I agree with Marc- track car for sure, street car maybe, and depends what kind of driving you're planning on seeing. (Even with a SMF chip from Wong- the motor does sometimes still die with the A/C- especially when the motor is cold)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK i've got a question. I need a clutch in mine as the pedal is very stiff and the engagement point is at the top (Also is I dump the pedal it slips a little). Having a early 90, does the flywheel need to be replaced because if so It makes since for me just to get the lightweight flywheel. I think it would actually be cheaper.

Quick Reply: Is the LWFW setup something I should invest in for the 964?