Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod Radio?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 AM
max3.2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the Blaupunkt would be a steal on ebay...

I have to take mine out these days and just check the connections. Worst case is that I have cut the wiring...but since I'm back in Germany I'm looking forward to 6 months of pretty damn cold and salty winter

Originally Posted by Laker
The beauty of the dedicated iPod cable is you can just leave the iPod in the glove box or behind the dash and control it via the head unit. Not sure if the head unit would control the iPod via USB?
seems like the blaupunkt supports that. still not too important, I'll use my phone most time because of navigation / music combo. and I won't leave it in the car..

Thanks for your help I'll keep you updated..
Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM
max3.2
Instructor

OK just pulled the stereo. Im not the first one changing stuff here.
I was expecting this since when I was using a high quality audio source, I was able to crank up the volume to 3/4 max without too much distortion and then had to stop for the sake of my ears...
So where to go next? I think replacing the head unit will be enough for me - just to get aAux support.. I got some pictures, sorry for the quality just had my phone.

This is the radio from behind.

The black round one goes to the amp under the passenger seat. I suppose the multi-pin is power yada yada...looks different than the Blaupunkt :-/ Whats the round "1pin" on the left? Antenna?

Well let's take a look at the passenger side. Lifting the carpet shows thats coming from the amp:

Looks like self-made. After-market speakers?

And now the really bad pictures: Amp under the seat: Is this stock? The round black from the radio is going in there and the big wire splitting up in those blue speaker-wires too.
Whats the silver thing next to it? Number 91161722700 (Porsche part? EDIT: cruise control unit). It looks like the amp (blue thing) is bolted down. The silver thing is more or less just lying there...ideas?

Again, thanks for your help and sorry for the bad pictures

Max
Old 09-29-2012, 11:49 AM
max3.2
Instructor

Just came back from german BestBuy - slowly digging up infos here...

The Multi-Connector is brand-specific, the one I already got is used by Alpine and Kenwood...The one on the Blaupunkt is german standard.
Usually, there are adapters to change radio brand. PO did it without on my car - so I either undo his work or go with one of the above brands. I think I will do the latter.
Antenna didn't change over the years
Amp connector did. New head units use only cinch. Can anyone tell me the actual name of the black thing so I can start searching adapters? I don't really want to pull new wires. Not that big of a deal but....easier without
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 AM
SPDADCT
Instructor

I am sure everyone already knows but you can get the new Kenwood KDC-x996 that has 24 colors to match the factory 911 dash colors, ipod hard wired connector, and can work with a ipod or any bluetooth smartphone with no wires through Bluetooth Stereo (Wireless music streaming).
Old 10-01-2012, 03:45 AM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

The round plug looks like a round DIN type plug similar to used on the original head units to connect to the under seat amp you still have.

My wiring had been cut and carved when I bought the car too. Some manufacturers have their own type of connector but I think the DIN type square plugs are the most common, as used by Blaupunkt, etc.

I bought a Porsche head unit which is made by Becker to get the factory look and an iPod adapter cable to go with it. I also made a little bracket to go on the centre console to hold my iPhone so I can plug my phone in for sat nav and music and keep it charged.

I had to send the face plate to Becker to have the LCD panel upgraded as it is a 996 head unit and you cannot see the screen properly at the angle you sit at in a 911/964/993. Bit of hassle but I think it was worth it for the factory look...

Old 10-11-2012, 06:33 AM
max3.2
Instructor

Allright so I got the adapter plugs and so on...
But it's a MESS back there.
Does someone have the car-side wiring scheme for the radio area? There are tons of wires hanging around...
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
philt68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Laker
Hi Max,
I installed an Alpine CDE-126BT. Bluetooth and iPod connector. Details >here< It costs about US$175 online.
same here, PLUS it has bluetooth for your phone...well worth it..
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by max3.2
Allright so I got the adapter plugs and so on...
But it's a MESS back there.
Does someone have the car-side wiring scheme for the radio area? There are tons of wires hanging around...
The 9th image in the link from my first post (and directly above) shows the relevant wires in the 964 (right side)

Last edited by Laker; 10-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Blaupunkt has wireless bluetooth.
And it isn't an Alpine.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM
max3.2
Instructor

Allright - just did the job today.
Chose the Alpine. But didn't matter since I had to redo almost everything behind the radio...
First I took out the passenger seat. Found a Hershey bar from '97, some shoe laces and an old and cracked iPod, nice
PO already pulled speaker wires, so the amp wasn't even in use, but still in place. Took it out and taped up the power and DIN wire.
Pulled the old head unit turns out Alpine did not change pins, but the connector has a different size. Cut all the wires, connected the new plug, put in the head unit and I'm good to go. Still took me 3 hours...PITA
Sound is a bit better than before, plus I got the Ipod connector.

Just 2 things..

1) My car is GP white, paint thickness seems to be original paint. Today I found black paint under the seat...is this just some kind of sealant?

2) Everyone talks about taking out the floorboards to put in new wires. My floorboards are out of some foamed plastic and glued in. The carpets are also glued to the floor boards. Is this how it is supposed to be or did someone put in new carpets and floorboards and just glued them
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM
peterpeter
Intermediate

Hi guys

Im just about to order a Blaupunkt toronto 420

do I need a special connector to make it fit my 86. 3.2 carrera

it currently has a sony cd player..

cheers
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had an Alpine ida-x305S installed in my '91 C2 cab - sounds great and fantastic ipod functionality. It cost about $175 on ebay.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ida-x305s
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

i went with the parrot link ... so can keep my stock Becker but have all the mod cons ...
bluetooth, ipod conn (in cubby) and remote/screen are stowable
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

I just got this which is satnav and does everything!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Doms964TurboII
Instructor

Max 3.2
No way should there be glue there!

Quick Reply: Ipod Radio?!?!