Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can one remove the oil filter w/o draining the oil????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
...you guys are such sticklers for wording....I should have said "screw plug", as Porsche calls it.
Well actually they call it a verschlussschraube
Old 09-25-2012, 11:42 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
It is not an actual "Drain Plug" it is an air vent that, when opened, allows the oil to flow. You can accomplice the same effect, as said earlier, by punching a hole in top of the oil filter. Do it at the beginning of your oil change, and the filter will be empty by the time the rest of the oil has drained.

Does it drain simply by venting the filter then?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never spill a drop. Punch hole in oil filter with an awl. Use air nozzle with very low air pressure to blow the oil out of the filter. I barely crack the nozzle to ensure it's just enough pressure to get the oil out. Unscrew the filter and there will be no oil.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c didy
Does it drain simply by venting the filter then?
Yep
Old 09-27-2012, 03:03 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
Yep
No compressed air, just puncture, wait ten-15 minutes and remove?
I've been poking holes in the filter my last few oil changes and it has helped tremendously (boy was it a surprise when I didn't put a hole it in the first time) but there is still some seepage when I unscrew it. As suggested by others I have considered jacking the opposite side of the car to facilitate drainage but maybe it's just a matter of letting it drain. How long do you wait? I don't have a compressor handy.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:40 PM
kta
Advanced

Bringing this thread back to up.

I did my first oil change after researching the posts and DIY on the forum. In the beginning - all good. Warmed up car to operating temp, drained the oil tank, the the engine, then I punched a hole in the filter, but I think I may have done the hole punch out of sequence? I punched it after draining oil tank and engine. I let the car drain overnight, expecting it to be almost dry.

Then this morning I went back to remove the filter expecting a successfully dry filter with just a drip to wipe up - I got a HUGE amount of oil pouring out of the filter and then also oil pushing back up through the tube that the filter connects to the car. Pretty sure I got near a quart in the engine bay and on the ground. Did I simply just do it out of sequence, where I should punch the hole - first before draining the tank and engine?
Old 05-10-2022, 07:45 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts

I always punch a hole into the filter before I drain the tank and engine. My thinking is that the oil draining out of the tank creates a slight suction and pulls oil from the filter when it drains. You obviously need the hole so air can get into the filter and you don't create a vacuum in the filter.

It works for me.
Old 05-10-2022, 08:29 PM
gccch
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

This is all great info. for me as I have yet to do an oil change. Planning on one next month.

What about the oil cooler? Do you guys blow out the lines to the cooler?
Old 05-10-2022, 10:12 PM
kta
Advanced

Ah nuts! I definitely went out of sequence then. I guess this is a rite of passage for DIY oil changes LOL
Old 05-12-2022, 05:14 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kta
Ah nuts! I definitely went out of sequence then. I guess this is a rite of passage for DIY oil changes LOL
I drain the oil first but don't put a hole in the filter. I do however as suggested above unscrew the filter while it is inside a plastic bag so any oil left gets caught by the bag.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:18 PM
kta
Advanced

Thanks ffc - I will do that the next time around as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on oil level readings being offset by the rake of the car? When measuring the front jack point to the ground vs. the rear jack point to the ground, the front is about 1.75 inches lower. I found some wood to drive up which raise it about 1.5 inches up - but did not notice a big difference on the gauge or dipstick. Just was curious if this is consistent for anyone else?

Quick Reply: Can one remove the oil filter w/o draining the oil????