964 oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 AM
barry oxley
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 964 oil pressure sender

Hi, greetings from New Zealand.
I am presently having problems with my oil pressure light staying on, basically since I done an oil change and used a 5w-40.
I will be changing it to Brad Penn at the weekend, but it is also a possibility that the oil pressure sender is faulty, I will probably know this when I change the oil, but I have been checking as much info as I can re replacing the sender.
After looking at the different pics of it etc, does any one know if you can just unscrew the sender from the base unit, leaving it attached to the engine?
It may seem a silly question,but, hey, you never know.
Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
NateSaJack
Instructor

Hi, Welcome,

I had mine out a little while ago to replace the O ring. I seem to remember a thread explaining that to replace the sender the whole assembly was removed, placed in a vice and taken apart.

It'll be a matter of access. I followed the thread in the DIY section and took the airbox and inlet manifold off.

My suggestion, and i'm no expert, would be to take off the entire assemble and give yourself space to work, the new O ring is very cheap and then you know its done right.

Before you start try and squeeze a hand in and check the wires are connected. Mine used to slip off the spades before nipped them up a bit.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:05 PM
barry oxley
5th Gear

Thanks for that.
I have seen the website you mention, but after seeing a pic of the sender & internal part seperated, I wondered if anybody had tried just unscrewing the sensor, which seems an easier way of changing it.
Cheers
Old 09-21-2012, 06:18 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Temperature sender really makes it hard

I just had mine out. It is difficult at best. you can unthread it, but it is difficult. I think it was 19mm? It uses a hard aluminum gasket much like the oil drain plug. You could remove 1/2 the manifold. ABout an hours work to make access easier. iknow, i just did it. See my recent post why you want to change the rubber o-ring as suggested by the previous post. They are notorius for getting hard and seeping.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:55 AM
barry oxley
5th Gear

Changed the oil to Brad Penn, and had a look at sensor wires, but all intact so it looks as though the sensor needs replacing.
Pelican has the VDO sensor, about US$127.00 and another one for about US$35.00, has anyone tried the cheaper one.
I forgot to mention that my car is a 1990, 964 c2. 66kms
Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, tried three cheaper ones and none worked properly. Buying an original solved the problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:26 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

+1 on removing right side intake for access. Faster and easier in the long run.

Sender is removed by unscrewing from base. Size of wrench is larger than 19mm as I recall. I'm not positive, but I remember using a Crescent wrench.Metal ring seal. While you're in there it would be smart to remove the housing and replace the rubber o-ring.

I have the cheap sender, working fine now 18 months on, however.....

When I initially replaced the sender, it pegged the gauge 5bar+. Supplier replaced unit for free, same result. Discovered the connectors were reversed. Apparently the sender fits multiple models and somewhere along the way Porsche switched the polarity. (At least that's the explanation the parts supplier gave me. I tend to think it was just a bad batch of units with spades installed wrong.) Easy fix to remove the small nuts and reverse the spades, but I got to do the job twice not knowing this bit of info, so.....check the spade connectors on your new sender to make sure they match the labels and the orientation of your original unit!
Old 09-22-2012, 03:37 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 116 Posts

Some photos to help you out in this thread. Its a 24mm wrench to remove the sender.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...eak-point.html
Old 09-22-2012, 04:27 PM
barry oxley
5th Gear

Excellent pics Ricardo, a great help. I did have some of the pics already but even though I keep looking at them, replacing the sender doesn't get any easier.
Would'nt it be great if you could just drop the engine out, life & Porsche ownership would be so much easier, and I, (my wife) could get the car back on the road quicker.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 AM
barry oxley
5th Gear

Thanks to everyone that replied to my oil pressure problem. It was a faulty sender and it has now been replaced, but I had the same problem as Altarchsa, put it all together only to having reading up to 5 bar.
Cheers to all who have gone before me for others to learn.

Quick Reply: 964 oil pressure sender