Sponsored by:

Anyone have a respray done lately?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 06:51 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I must catch up ! When did you get the '81 Jaime??
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Do it once and do it right. Full bare metal.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jimq
I must catch up ! When did you get the '81 Jaime??
errr.. less than a week ago

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...r-project.html
Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 AM
911wings
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atgani,
if i had an extra 12k I would o a bare metal, but alas there are other projects that demand money now, like repainting the house, maybe i can get a combo done house/car for one price.
I really am trying to go for a good street paint job, not showcar. I drive my C2 too much for the paint to stay perfect.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I love guys like you! Always at least 10 things going on at one time.
Lots of fun to be around!
Old 09-13-2012, 02:12 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So...blonde walking down the neighborhood street looking for a bit of work.

Walks up to a fellow raking leaves, asks him if he has any odd jobs around she could do to earn a bit of money.

He says, "well, you know, I need to paint the porch. I've got two gallons of paint, brushes and rollers in the garage, and you can do that. How much would you charge?"

She says "fifty bucks" He says "great, let me know when you're done", and heads into the house.

His wife asks if she knew it was a wrap-around porch, he says "I don't know, but we'll see how she does"

45 minutes later she comes to the door, says she's all done, and then says "you know, there was lots of paint, so I did two coats..."

"...and by the way, thats not a Porch..."

.>
.>
.>
.>
.>
.>
.>

"...that's a Ferrari."
Old 09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Dirty secret about the car industry: manufacturers, even the high-end brands, spend more money on the paint than they do on the engine. Nobody recommends a low-budget engine overhaul, because when it comes apart, the cost for repair is far higher than the cost for doing it correctly in the first place.

Re-paint to the original standard costs almost as much as an engine overhaul. Do it on the cheap, and the consequences are similar: it will cost more to fix the damage than it costs to do the job right in the first place.

Unless your car is great in all other areas, you will do better to sell it to someone less interested in the appearance, and upgrading to a car with great original paint.

I believe in maintaining the original finish as long as possible. You might be surprised at how good the car will look if you remove any rust blisters down to bare metal, fill any deep blemishes with touch-up paint, and then do an overall polish. 964s came with thick paint. As long as your paint is not thinned or burned from past attempts to buff it out, there is some good paint between the oxidation layer and the primer coats.

If your paint is already thinned or burned from over-buffing, you are still better off avoiding a budget re-spray. Keep a fresh coat of wax, and live with it until the budget allows for a proper restoration. Money on cheap paint is wasted, and will lower the value of the car.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a respray done lately?