Sponsored by:

New Here... Thoughts on a 964

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:02 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Which a proper PPI would point out regardless of year. Leaking is leaking, and I've seen a lot of post '91s that I would pass on.
PPI is king. Looking for engine numbers and passing on a car is just silly...
Nope, I did not say to pass on a car based on the engine numbers...

Look at my car... it is in that number range... still bought it...

PPI is king. I agree there with you. But even that is not fool proof. I think it was the first or second week of having the car... I am doing an oil change, valve adjustments, etc. I have the valve covers out. I stand up to get a drink and I hear this loud baablink! One broken headstud flying out the side of the car... ****, sometimes, just happens...
Old 09-13-2012 | 02:30 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Hello Dominic and welcome!

I sold my 1991 964 cab in april, theses are nice cars, solid and fun to drive. I looked at the ad and the price (27K$ CAN) is on the high side of the market. Here are my comments:

- Like most said, PPI on a 22 years old car is mandatory, I would personnally take it to an independent reputable shop. This is money well spent. I would personnally care abouth that oil smell and leaks.
Simple things, but condition of tires, brakes, plugs wires, etc are important. If you do a PPI and some of theses needs replacement, you will know exactly how much you need to put on the car to make it perfect.

- There is no cab cover on the pics. The top is down with no cover on it. Maybe it's missing? Also, on a 964, make sure the top is in GOOD condition. The canevas replacement only cost 2000$+ and there is 4 electric motors + microswitches that are very costy to replace (600$ per rear motor if I recall). Make sure all this works as it should and locks properly. Also check that you can unzip the rear window and see trough it, some top are rebuild without the zipper and bad quality mica.

- The left door don't have the door lock ****, check that you're not missing parts...

- This is the version with flag mirrors and it probably had standard wheels originally. The wheels seems replaced by 993 factory 17" wheels, and not 17" 964 cup wheels. This is only my taste but I don't like having cup wheels without the cup mirrors, either you do both or you don't. But hey, thoses flags mirrors can be replaced.

- I don't like the stereo replacement. The radio does not "fit" the car. The speakers were replaced by larger models, not close to original at all. To me, a C2 Cab is a classic and having a stereo that does not fit the car is not good.

Good luck!

Pierre
Old 09-13-2012 | 04:31 PM
dominic.m
Track Day

There is a cab cover for it and the top works and is in good condition and it locks properly. He mentioned the door lock **** to me and said a mechanic has it on his bench.

Thanks for the info about the mirrors and wheels I didn't know that.

And I agree about the stereo it definitely doesn't fit but that's the least of my concern with these cars.

At the price it's listed for I definitely want to make sure that everything is at its best and I'm going to ask to do a PPI at the place of my choice.
Old 09-13-2012 | 09:09 PM
carlskisWP
Instructor

Get the PPI done at an independent shop - you want the compression and leak down done. Read this article: http://www.autos.ca/auto-brands/feat...1-porsche-911/
all the way to the end - "Update: A few months later, $10,000 in engine work required"
Old 09-13-2012 | 09:23 PM
pmalenfa
Racer

Hi Dominic, if you want to have a look at the market in your area, there is six 964 for sale in GTA on Kijiji (toronto.kijiji.ca). Always good to see other cars and compare.

Pierre
Old 09-13-2012 | 11:35 PM
dominic.m
Track Day

I definitely don't want to rush into this...

I've messaged some private sellers and planning to look at a few others as well.

That was a good read carlskisWP

Quick Reply: New Here... Thoughts on a 964