Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is it driving the 964? Thinking of changing my BMW 850CSI for one.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:27 PM
jzc28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check out Top Gear's review of the 993 twin turbo on Youtube. Looks like you'd need a pilot's license to own one.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Fatandre my 2 cents or maybe less. I have been driving a 90 c2 for a few years now and jump at the chance to go for even a short spin. It gives me the grin factor. It does not launch it self like a turbo and maybe you would not like the around 250 hp. But driving a 964 is really a blast. I have a 911 e that is great to drive but I will keep the 964 and get rid of the other first. I have drivin turbos and the like they are fun and maybe I have one in the future but now really happy with the 964. Drive a few on the twisties.
Its the grin factor
Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driving a 964? It is so much fun that it could be considered illegal in some places, but it's not for everyone and completely different than a 850 BMW.

You, for some reason don't see a ton of BMW Porsche crossovers because they are different. BMW people tend to like BMWs for a reason and not Porsches and visversa.

Where the fun in the BMW ends the Porsche just starts. Porsche do drive different, feel different, sound different, and as stated drive one for more than five minutes before making the jump.

I also find working on Porsche 964 times easier than BMWs. BMW does some very odd things and their cars are not easy to work on.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Fatandre
Instructor

I have also been thinking about just keep the 8, save up and buy one in the following 3 years. I am still young. What do you guys think?
Will they be that hard to get in the following 5 years. I am 24 now.
The 8 is a great car and I have all ready made it fast. I do realize it is no Porsche. Maybe keeping both is the way to go. What do you think?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:57 PM
cobias1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking at a couple of 850's before I bought mine. 2 things that I saw in them is that they are very classy cars. They do have a good measure of power with the merged 6's in them to make them a 12 cylinder. with that said they can probably be a great car for touring and long hauls. the ones I rode in were very cush on the ride. However, the 964 I ended up with..which had 7 busted head studs, leaking oil like a seive when I got it home, and tons of this and that to fix mend and shore up, still pulled harder and with more heart than either of the bimmers did. 1.5 yrs later, 1 complete tear down and rebuild, 4 new struts, and like others have said some wrenching here and there, its like a polo pony when you hit the gas. From 3k on up you can feel the pull, when you hit 4k on the rpms, most passengers say explicit exhalts that cannot be repeated here, and finally, thus far, even with things such as a busted shaft on the generator, she hasnt left me totally stranded. Im starting to trust even my own wrenching and germanic engineering, as much as I trust my riding lawn mower..each time I get behind the wheel. with that said, do like nike, and just go for it!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

keep the 850, now thats a nice car.

if you're a power freak, the NA 964 will disappoint.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

i think both the 8 series and the 964 are destined to be sort after classics going forward. I would keep the 8 and get the 964 in a couple of years and hopefully prices havent gone too high.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM
Fatandre
Instructor

Originally Posted by cobias1
I was looking at a couple of 850's before I bought mine. 2 things that I saw in them is that they are very classy cars. They do have a good measure of power with the merged 6's in them to make them a 12 cylinder. with that said they can probably be a great car for touring and long hauls. the ones I rode in were very cush on the ride. However, the 964 I ended up with..which had 7 busted head studs, leaking oil like a seive when I got it home, and tons of this and that to fix mend and shore up, still pulled harder and with more heart than either of the bimmers did. 1.5 yrs later, 1 complete tear down and rebuild, 4 new struts, and like others have said some wrenching here and there, its like a polo pony when you hit the gas. From 3k on up you can feel the pull, when you hit 4k on the rpms, most passengers say explicit exhalts that cannot be repeated here, and finally, thus far, even with things such as a busted shaft on the generator, she hasnt left me totally stranded. Im starting to trust even my own wrenching and germanic engineering, as much as I trust my riding lawn mower..each time I get behind the wheel. with that said, do like nike, and just go for it!!!
Well my friend. I have a 6 speed manual gearbox and some 400 ponies in my e31 since its a CSI.
Only thing stopping me is the fact the e31 was my first car and I brought it back from scratch to life
Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
davidwilson11
Racer

Fatandre,

I use mine everyday, i have had a vast array of cars including a newer 911 (997) and would highly recommend going for the 964. Its a superb car, more old school than anything ive owned but i love day to day.

The smell and feel of the car was something that i was told about but when you actually own one you know what they all mean.

In general they are not an easy drive, heavy clutch, lumpy gear change but when you open up the taps it takes all that away. Well built cars that are sturdy beasts but you have to make sure you dont get a total wreck as im sure it would put you off. these cars aint cheap to fix both in parts or skilled labour. Make sure you spend the extra and get a good clean car.

The after market parts are huge, there is pretty much anything to suit your fancy. I woudl say the following will make a sorted car.

Suspension geo done
Decat and cup pipe
Airbox mod or filter fitted
keep it on 17's and decent tyres
Nice up to date stereo with bluetooth for your phone
Replace suspension bushes
Replace and worn engine mounts

any of the above will make it a nice car and something that you will love to drive on a daily basis.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Your car is gorgeous, always considered an 850 as one of the cars to have just like the MB 560SEC timeless beauties.

The 850 I drove reminded me a little of a sporty 2 door version of my ex 740I. So consider if you are willing to go from luxury and comfort to sports car performance and roughness. Don't get me wrong IMO the 964 is one of the best Porsche's ever made. The best of old school combined with modern features and performance well ahead of its time. But it is a very different drive than your BMW. I might be so bold as to say if you like the feel of the 850 but are looking for some added sportiness you may consider the 928.

Before everyone goes bashing me they are not the horror stories you may hear they like any of these cars are just getting older and if well maintained are no less reliable than anything else of that era. I would highly recommend a 928GTS 5 speed if you can find a nice example. They only made 170 5 speeds and 411 GTS in total from '93 to '95 for the US but it is a fun drivers car IMO one of the best GT's ever made. Again much different than a 964, kind of a cross between your 850 and a 964. They were very expensive to build and far more detailed than the 964. Comfortable to drive but only move if you push them unlike a 964 which feels like it is always ready to jump out of the gate. Kind of a German answer to the corvette. None the less a very fun and great ride.

With that said if you are looking for a completely different experience either the 964 or the 964 Turbo will thrill the pants off you. Again very similar but different animals. After driving a 964 and climbing back into your 850 you will be amazed at how different everything felt the 964 and turbo are very quick and somewhat nervous to the inexperienced and most walk away saying the front end feels really light. However if you learn to drive a 911 properly there is no other experience that compares.

With all the BMW's and other cars I owned over the years I will always be an air cooled 911 guy there is something about them that just brings a smile to my face. The others all have their charms but if you enjoy the drive more than driving to get places the 964 is worth a look. The turbo is too but it is not for everyone and not for the faint of heart. It is way to easy to exceed triple digits all the time and should always be driven with respect. Although once you start looking you will find it is not easy to find a nice turbo lately. the 3.3's are not that much faster than the N/A cars off the line due to the laggy nature of the turbo the 3.6 is faster and will easily hit 80 by the time the 964 hits 60 and only gets faster but with only 350 3.6T's imported to the US and about 250 left in the US nice ones are few and far between and ridiculously expensive.

My .02 worth drive the 964 and if you can find one a 928GTS or GT you might find it closer to what you are accustomed to.

As you can see I love all three and it would be hard to give up any of them.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^^
Great post Anthony.
You said that way better than I could have. Good call on the 928 also.
Fantastic garage shot!
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep the 8 series as your daily driver and save up for a 964 as your fun car. Either way you would have a great car to drive
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatandre
Well my friend. I have a 6 speed manual gearbox and some 400 ponies in my e31 since its a CSI.
Only thing stopping me is the fact the e31 was my first car and I brought it back from scratch to life
This is what most people have no clue about. The Csi is a completely different animal than a standard 850ci. Not only does it have almost 100hp more but lots of more torque, a close ratio 6-speed gearbox (vs. the 4-speed slushboxes on the standard 850s) and much shorter final drive. The performance of the Csi is from another planet (compared to the 850ci)

That said, if the 850Csi is from another planet, the 964 is gotta be from another galaxy!

The 850Csi is luxurious, sporty Grand Tourer, the 964 is a light and agile sports car. Drive both back to back on a winding b-road and you'll realize the two couldn't be much more different. The 850Csi might be faster in straight line but the weight and wheelbase makes the difference when you throw in some curves and turns. Heck, he rear suspension bits already alone weigh as much as the drive line of a 964...

The 964 will not replace your Csi so I suggest you get the 964 but keep the 850Csi!

Nice wheels on your 850Csi BTW!!
I have too have a 850ci (with shorter gearing) and a 993:

Old 09-13-2012, 06:35 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

928 for the bimmer. That IS a good call.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Fatandre
Instructor

Those are some nice advices.
The CSI is not my daily. My daily is a Mini Cooper S which is a blast to drive. My e31 is far away from stock since customizing my cars is in my blood. I just have to make things better than they are.
I have come to an conclusion that I will keep the e31, keep the Mini, and save up for a 964. I have just always been in love with them. When I bought the CSI it was in bad shape. I did not have the money for a 964 and the story behind the CSI is the following:
When I was young (15) my and my mom were coming from Pizza Hut. Then all of a sudden I see this sports car on the lights, 3 guys in it and drunk as hell having fun (not the driver). I tell my mom: look at that car!! She was like: pff, look at those vandals
Some days later my mom get a phone call and it happens to be her old friend from primary school that she hadnt seen for years. She invites him and so on. Some days later I am working at our summerhouse and all of a sudden this dar car appears, passes me and stops ( the same e31). All windows tinted and since I was a little boy and had watchd to many movies only one thing came to my mind. Gangsters that will kill me. The car drives back and I see those 3 mean looking guys and I almost fainted . One of them asks if my mom lived here. I wasnt sure what to say, but finally I say yes. Then my mom comes and the party starts. The light the grille and start talking grown up stuff. I on the other hand cannt take my eyes of that car. Later that evening I finally go to the guy and say to him: If you plan on selling the car, call me first.
Years pass by and when I am 18, my mom tells me the phone rang and that her friend would like to sell his car. I was like. Give me all my savings(had been saving since 6 for a car) and I was gone. We were on a summer vacation 700 km from home so I jumped into a Bus and drove all the way back, gave what he was asking for it (didnt care about the condition) and drove it back. That might had been a mistake since everything needed to be fixed in it. Now it has been fixed and is in 100% condition. Thats why it is so hard for my to part with it.
I have always been a rough driver, so sport mode is nothing I am afraid of. I plan on taking some race track courses because when I see drivers like in the following video it just scares the **** of me that people can be so mindless and think they can handle any car the jump on to.

Quick Reply: How is it driving the 964? Thinking of changing my BMW 850CSI for one.