Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day tyre

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I just put Bridgestone Potenza RE11 on 17 inch twists and tracked the car here in CA. I previously had Yokohama Advan Neovas and the Bridgestones are far superior:

On road feel is superb with little or no noise.

In the aberational rain we had here they were again superb and stuck in the wet like glue.

On the track the car handled beautifully, not the slick RA1 feel I have had in the past but excellent grip and feedback, the car was very controllable with the throttle and only squealing was under intentional lift to rotate the car.

Best of all? They didn't chunk or wear out a tread, look as good as new and the ride home was smooth and free of the vibration you sometimes get when rubber ***** form on the tire face. And they hung with a trick 3.2 on slicks.

Reasonable price and great sttreet/wet/track tire with above average expected tread wear if you don't want a new set every season.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hankook's Ventus R-S3 ?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedbagger
Hankook's Ventus R-S3 ?
+964

That and the Star Spec from Dunlop are uber-sticky
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 AM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the 17" Dunlop Starspec for a couple of years as a track tire and they work for me. I'll need to replace them for next year and may try the Hankooks. The Dunlops have a 200 wear rating as opposed to 140 on the Hankooks. I have a little over 1000 km on the Dunlops so I'll expect that the Hankooks will wear faster.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Masher, here's my 2p.

Getting a second set of wheels and putting full track (R compound) tyres on will always mean that they are compromised for road driving i.e. when travelling to and from the track. However, they are all fine in the wet as long as you drive to the conditions i.e. back off more than you would with road tyres. Especially if there is standing water. Choosing which R compound to go for comes down to price, availability and comparative on track performance. MPSCs are the best performers and most expensive but you can rule them out as you can no longer buy 17s in the UK. Toyo R888s are the cheapest (although still not cheap!), then Kumho V70s and then Dunlop DZ03s.

My own experience with the R888s is that they are surprisingly good on a wet track. So much so that I would never contemplate putting my road tyres on just because I know it's going to be a wet trackday.

If you go for an in between tyre like the Yoko AD08 or Toyo T1R you're getting something a bit stickier than other road tyres but when you push the car hard on track, they will give up a lot quicker than full R compound tyres i.e. you have to come in sooner to rest them. These tyres are good choices when you've only one set of wheels to use for both road and track but I would say that when you have a second set you're missing a trick by not choosing a full R compound.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:19 AM
mf_rsr
Pro

^^^^ yep yep yep.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Masher
Instructor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Masher, here's my 2p.

Getting a second set of wheels and putting full track (R compound) tyres on will always mean that they are compromised for road driving i.e. when travelling to and from the track. However, they are all fine in the wet as long as you drive to the conditions i.e. back off more than you would with road tyres. Especially if there is standing water. Choosing which R compound to go for comes down to price, availability and comparative on track performance. MPSCs are the best performers and most expensive but you can rule them out as you can no longer buy 17s in the UK. Toyo R888s are the cheapest (although still not cheap!), then Kumho V70s and then Dunlop DZ03s.

My own experience with the R888s is that they are surprisingly good on a wet track. So much so that I would never contemplate putting my road tyres on just because I know it's going to be a wet trackday.

If you go for an in between tyre like the Yoko AD08 or Toyo T1R you're getting something a bit stickier than other road tyres but when you push the car hard on track, they will give up a lot quicker than full R compound tyres i.e. you have to come in sooner to rest them. These tyres are good choices when you've only one set of wheels to use for both road and track but I would say that when you have a second set you're missing a trick by not choosing a full R compound.
Always a pleasure to hear your opinion Steve. The conservative side of me is drawn to the Yoko AD08 because 2 days at Spa next year will be low temp and a decent chance of rain. The fun side of me agrees with you entirely. Decisions, decisions... I must stop thinking - I drive myself barmy sometimes!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:25 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys,

Sorry this is in French,
http://toyoracing.fr/pages/19.html

I had the 888 , as everyday tyres , way to noisy....they do last long...
I had to go back to MPS for everyday, I wish they were not so noisy....

Anyways recut them is also recommended by Toyo ....
Old 09-12-2012, 06:14 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Masher
Always a pleasure to hear your opinion Steve. The conservative side of me is drawn to the Yoko AD08 because 2 days at Spa next year will be low temp and a decent chance of rain. The fun side of me agrees with you entirely. Decisions, decisions... I must stop thinking - I drive myself barmy sometimes!
No chance, Steve brings the sun with him
Old 09-12-2012, 06:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
No chance, Steve brings the sun with him
I'll do my best to again.

Quick Reply: Track day tyre