Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Designtek exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill stay away from the designtek system then.

Just was planning on having cams fitted during the rebuild and thought that a proper exhaust system will help with gettin a few more hp.
Its either a big money set up or leave current exhaust on, ill have a look into the 993 option as well.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Dansk Dual on mine with a 100Cell Cat, comes in about 104db, but has a little rasp to it which I prefer.

Boxsey maybe able to say what it sounds like as he's heard it on track a few times, quality is ok, its been on for about 7-8k now with no issues.

Kevin
Old 09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
Vic_S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Also who flipped the flanges for you?
I know Paul Sage at Jota can do this. (He can probably replace the crumbling flange on 964's as well that has been mentioned recently).
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vic_S
I know Paul Sage at Jota can do this. (He can probably replace the crumbling flange on 964's as well that has been mentioned recently).
He would be ideal for Alex, just around the corner at Gatwick?

Be good if he can, mine needs doing as well!!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
He would be ideal for Alex, just around the corner at Gatwick?

Be good if he can, mine needs doing as well!!
Funny you should say that, I spoke to Paul this morning about just that! I'm taking my car to him to look at the h/e flange once the cars back together. Sounded like he'd prefer doing it off the car - but could be persuaded. I can't face more downtime involved in taking the h/e's off mine.

Also talked to him about the 993 option - good power but 993 h/e seem to be as hard to get as 964 and just as expensive. Paul has the "flange flipped" 993 system waiting to go on his 964 - also he noted that there are two types of 993 exhaust so make sure you get matching left and right halves or they won't bolt together.

BTW I mentioned he came highly recommended by Vic and Strega among others.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You want the Bischoff HE for your 964, I am not exactly sure why, but this is what Steve Weiner from Rennsport told me. The right hand side flanges will need to be turned 90 degrees.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Alex, it was Paul Sage who had my manifolds flipped and it was me who convinced him to go the 993 route, as you just cant beat factory quality and simplicity. For heat I am just going to run longer scat hose. I am going to use cat bypass pipes and fit inline silencers as I prefer the weight and neatness over gutting the bulky cats.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

,I've just looked at the 993 cat, I see what you mean, x pipes look much lighter, cheap too.

So when you say inline mufflers - do you mean the stock style 993 mufflers or something else?

Contrary to what i thought the 993 HE's aren't too expensive s/h, you could probably get a full setup for £1k then just a q of getting the flanges flipped.

Reading the 993 forums it looks like it be loud enough to restrict trackday options so I wonder how hard it would be to weld some silencers in the x pipes?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't have to cost the earth - I bought the same headers as the TRE ones and made a rear silencer using a Magnaflow rear box. Maybe speak to your welder mate if he's fairly handy?

Another option could be to give Rich Turbo Thomas a quick call and see what he can offer you? Normally does older stuff as far as I know but has made a lot of Porsche systems.

http://www.turbothomas.com/albums/porsche
Old 09-05-2012, 10:35 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

GT3 Centre exit like Kai's?

Love that look, but lots of work (and cash) I guess?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:20 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Alex, I was thinking of getting Hayward and Scott to make some removable inline silencers to go the cat bypass crossover pipes sort of like the old cherry bombs!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:56 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ALEX P
It doesn't have to cost the earth - I bought the same headers as the TRE ones and made a rear silencer using a Magnaflow rear box. Maybe speak to your welder mate if he's fairly handy?

Another option could be to give Rich Turbo Thomas a quick call and see what he can offer you? Normally does older stuff as far as I know but has made a lot of Porsche systems.

http://www.turbothomas.com/albums/porsche
Do your TRE style headers have heat?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Strega(UK)
Alex, I was thinking of getting Hayward and Scott to make some removable inline silencers to go the cat bypass crossover pipes sort of like the old cherry bombs!
Yeah that sounds like a good plan. I suppose if the crossover pipes are very close in the middle, where they cross, the clearance may mean you need four short silencers with straight pipe at the crossing point.Jetex and magnaflow probably do stainless boxes in the right size that are slip-on so you can just cut the crossover pipers and clamp in the silencers - no welding needed. That way you could keep some slip-on straight pipes for when you want to be noisy.

Quick Reply: Designtek exhaust?