Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UK-based Engine Builder

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012 | 01:00 PM
BillyB
Racer

Default UK-based Engine Builder

If you had to have a full engine rebuild in the UK, who would you go to?
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:25 PM
Vic_S
Racer

There are a plenty of good ones around the country.

Have you seen Frank's thread?
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-rebuild.html

Where abouts in the country are you and what kind of rebuild are you after?
-track car/road car/standard build/increased power etc...?
Old 08-29-2012 | 02:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vic_S
+3.6
Old 08-29-2012 | 03:14 PM
BillyB
Racer

Originally Posted by Vic_S
There are a plenty of good ones around the country.

Have you seen Frank's thread?
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-rebuild.html

Thanks for the link. Some good reading there!

Subject to an inspection this weekend, I will be after standard build in order to stop oil leaks. The puddle of oil in my garage suggests a rebuild may be in order, but who knows...may be there will be a cheap fix

I'm north of London so not a million miles away from RedTEK as it happens.
Old 08-30-2012 | 04:35 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

I would use Jota engineering. He is local to me near Gatwick and is a 964, 944 and 928 owner himself and a proper car fan and bloody cheap compared to most. I would not trust anyone else.
Old 08-30-2012 | 06:34 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by BillyB
I'm north of London so not a million miles away from RedTEK as it happens.
Well I'm biased as my engine is at RedTek - he really knows his stuff and is great to deal with.

Otherwise, there's JAZ, GTOne, Tognola Engineering.

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 08-30-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 08-30-2012 | 07:19 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

If you had to have a full engine rebuild in the UK, who would you go to?
There is now a good choice of 964 engine rebuilders in the UK so you just need recommendations that are local to you. Mine was done at Unit 11 (Warrington) who rebuild at least one engine a month. They did a brilliant job on mine.
Old 08-30-2012 | 07:25 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

It might be useful to put a list of all the ones we know of out there.

Many of the indies could probably be trusted to do an OK job for sensible money when it comes to a stock build, here are the ones I'm aware have been used by UK rennlisters and 911uk'ers, and have been recommended to me at some point - very much buyer beware in this though.

The tricky bit is that the good builders move around between employers or set up on their own so somewhere that was good a few years ago may be not so good now.

Redtek - Croughton
Unit 11 - Warrington
9m / Ninemeister - Warrington
Projectnine - Kent
JAZ - Wembley
Tognola -Windsor/Datchet
GT-One - Chertsey
JOTA / Paul Sage - Horley
JZM Machtech - Kings Langley
Zentrum - Nottingham
Tony Greatorex - Bramhall

Others that I don't have info, on but others might:
Strasse - Leeds
Hartech - Bolton

Who else?
Anyone of these you'd take off? ( no horror stories necessary )
Old 08-30-2012 | 07:35 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911
You just need recommendations that are local to you. Mine .
+964

London Area:
JAZ - Stan on here just had a rebuild there. They have a long history of good work.
GTOne - Mel Spears on here had his Cup car's engine rebuilt by them.
RedTek - Me, undergoing rebuild.

Up North:
Unit 11 - Boxsey had his there.
9M - Cheekseyboy/ Grant had his there.

Originally Posted by alexjc4

The tricky bit is that the good builders move around between employers or set up on their own so somewhere that was good a few years ago may be not so good now.
I shadow this comment. Builders move around - so it's difficult to know who is actually building your engine. My choice was for RedTek because the owner is the builder...

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Anyone of these you'd take off?
Yes, I have views whilst I was researching - feel free to PM me Bill.
Old 08-30-2012 | 01:34 PM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

+1 on redtek, nick is a very clever chap.
Old 08-31-2012 | 07:51 AM
ALEX P
Racer

I'd fly the flag for Redtek, especially as he buttoned mine up & Nick is a great guy to deal with.

Other options could be RPM Teknik who have a good engine shop and B S Motorsport who has a great dyno to test the engine and run it in so you can have a rebuilt engine fully run in in the back of your car without having to do that careful 500 - 1000 miles.

http://www.bsmotorsport.co.uk/
Old 09-01-2012 | 06:37 PM
BillyB
Racer

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I asked the original question because my C2 is depositing a rather large amount of oil on my garage floor at the moment and I feared the worst in terms of needing a rebuild to rectify it. On the plus side the car doesn't smoke and seems to pull well.

This morning the leaks were investigated by RPM Technik and we concluded the leaks were originating from:
1) Crankcase supply pipe and hose
2) RH cylinder head oil return tube
3) Oil tank level sender unit
4) possibly the lower cam chain housing gasket (although it is hard to tell as there is so much oil all over the place!)

With the exception of number 4, all these are easy, cheap fixes so we are going to do these and then reassess whether the lower cam chain housing gaskets (on both sides) are leaking and if so, how badly, as there is no way to replace them without dropping and splitting the engine.

We also went back through the records for the car and reviewed the work done as part of a top end rebuild by JAZ in 2004, 20k miles ago. The work seems thorough, including head studs but of course, 2004 is a long time ago so who knows if any of this work may need doing again in the not too distant future.

So the current plan for the car is to fix the first 3 leaks above, fit KWv1's and set up the geometry, new front disks, pads and possibly caliper overhaul, powedercoat the arbs, replace some of the bushes (generally they are not that bad) and do a few other jobs while we are at it like replacing CV gaiters. Not a bad list. Oh, and replace the wheels because to fit the current Boxster wheels under the rear arches the previous owner dialled in a massive amount of camber.

I have resisted posting a photo of the car until the AWD-esque ride height is sorted and wheels replaced but I've been encouraged to do so by Frank (thanks for the advice btw, Frank) so here goes:

Old 09-01-2012 | 07:13 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Those leaks are a simple fix. Once sorted and the suspension is sorted out you can evaluate where you are. I put KWv1's and H&R roll bars on my C2 some months back, the result is very impressive. Would also recommend RS engine mounts. Enjoy the car, I think you have made an excellent buy.
Old 09-01-2012 | 07:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I asked the original question because my C2 is depositing a rather large amount of oil on my garage floor at the moment and I feared the worst in terms of needing a rebuild to rectify it. On the plus side the car doesn't smoke and seems to pull well.

This morning the leaks were investigated by RPM Technik and we concluded the leaks were originating from:
1) Crankcase supply pipe and hose
2) RH cylinder head oil return tube
3) Oil tank level sender unit
4) possibly the lower cam chain housing gasket (although it is hard to tell as there is so much oil all over the place!)

With the exception of number 4, all these are easy, cheap fixes so we are going to do these and then reassess whether the lower cam chain housing gaskets (on both sides) are leaking and if so, how badly, as there is no way to replace them without dropping and splitting the engine.

We also went back through the records for the car and reviewed the work done as part of a top end rebuild by JAZ in 2004, 20k miles ago. The work seems thorough, including head studs but of course, 2004 is a long time ago so who knows if any of this work may need doing again in the not too distant future.

So the current plan for the car is to fix the first 3 leaks above, fit KWv1's and set up the geometry, new front disks, pads and possibly caliper overhaul, powedercoat the arbs, replace some of the bushes (generally they are not that bad) and do a few other jobs while we are at it like replacing CV gaiters. Not a bad list. Oh, and replace the wheels because to fit the current Boxster wheels under the rear arches the previous owner dialled in a massive amount of camber.

I have resisted posting a photo of the car until the AWD-esque ride height is sorted and wheels replaced but I've been encouraged to do so by Frank (thanks for the advice btw, Frank) so here goes:
OMG!

That car used to belong to Tom (fellow rennlist member) - I found it for him! I know it very well - having driven the car I would say the engine pulls very well.

Here is the car in Wales...

What a small world...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 09-02-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2012 | 07:43 PM
VR6-er
Racer

If that car was re built by Jaz on 20k miles ago I doubts anything serious needs to be done for another 60k. I dont think its got anything to do with age, more how its been driven and servicing.

I'm confused about the camber setup on the 17" Boxster wheels being an issue. My car has CUP 2 wheels with 9 x 17 ET 55 a very common size on 964 and 993; almost the most common size now. Most people whack on a big spacer reducing the offset massively.

I think your rears will be 17x8.5" ET48 Wheel part number: POR 98636212606. These should fit just fine with little camber provided no spacer is fitted. If you went to 17" CUP 1's the choice is either: 8" ET52 or 9" ET 55. What are your plans reference wheels?

Quick Reply: UK-based Engine Builder