Sponsored by:

From 17 to 18 in Wheels - changes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 423 Likes on 275 Posts

OZ Alleggerita HTL with Toyo R888 - Frt 235/40/18 and Rear 265/35/18

you have a pic? How did it end up iworking/looking on the car? What alignment did you end up with, etc...
Old 08-23-2012, 10:25 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goughary
OZ Alleggerita HTL with Toyo R888 - Frt 235/40/18 and Rear 265/35/18

you have a pic? How did it end up iworking/looking on the car? What alignment did you end up with, etc...
guess you saw these for that setup ....

rear .... https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...40-photos.html

front ... https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...nd-photos.html
Old 08-24-2012, 01:01 PM
PChar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gus, I have made the same switch a year ago. I have OZ 18 and (8F and 9R) on Yokohama Neova 8 (225F and 255R). I also replaced stock suspension with KW V3, and had the car realigned with -1.75 in the front and still experienced lots of fender rubing. My front is lower to 24.75" (from top of wheel arch). I solved the problem with rolling front fender with a baseball bat and a high output heat gun. Looking back I should have gone with more negative camber in the front, but was affraid of excessive tire wear. I have no isue with the rear at -1.5 degree camber, but then your rear tires are slightly wider than mine. How does it looks with 265 on the rear? Do they bulge a bit?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Here are some pic's of the car with the OZ 18 on - Frt is 8x18/et50 with 235/40R18 Proxes R888/Rear is 9x18/et43 with 265/35R18. I have pulled a 15mm spacer off the front because the outside tire lip rubbed on turning and now clears Ok. The rear still has an 18 mm spacer on it - but is going to come off as I am getting outer fender lip rub on bumps.
The size of the front tire so so much larger than the 17 I had on 25.5 for the R888 vs 23.8 for the 17 Hoosier. I have lowered the front spring as much as I can and the car is still high. I have another set of springs that I will try first, but believe that the adjustable camber plate that I purchased has a top shock position lower than it needs to be so the shock doesn't fit as high as it should.
In looking at it I believe it could be another inch an half higher. At the wheel arch on the frt I am at 26" which is unreal - have to figure out how to get the front down.
Here are some pics of the car as it sits now - am not going to get any further alignment work done until I solve the height issue.
Pic 1 is the front hub showing no spacer
Pic 2 is rear hub showing spacer
Pic 3 is rear wheel view
pic 4 is frt wheel view
pic 5 is side view of car
pic 6 is rear side looking forward
pic 7 is frt to back view
Attached Images        
Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Sorry about the side angle view -
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Gus

That's one cool 964, I have not seen that colour before? What is it?

And,

Could you tell me what type of front spoiler and splitter you have?

And finally....phew

Is your profile pic the engine in your 964?

If so what are the mods on the top?

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

The color is SLATE GRAY - see sales slip - The front spoiler is out of GB, acquired it through a friend that knew someone that made them over there. Not sure if he is still doing it, it is one piece of Fiberglass that goes across the front and bolts/screws to the front pan.
As far as engine mods all are external - new ECU, Varioram off of a 97 993, twin 6 plug coil packs driven by ECU, larger injectors, larger breather as the varioram has a 3 1/2 inch intake. BB headers, probably some other stuff in there somewhere - but have forgotten.
Here are a few more pics of the engine area- The gauge on the left is a vacuum line gauge so I can make sure that the system is holding pressure to operate the varioram system as it has three vacuum operated solenoids.

Is that your car in your avatar? What model Cup wheels are those / Looks clean and nice - what mods have you done?
Attached Images       
Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 PM
jotaking
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love the colour, It looked like it had a hint of green on my iPad. I was looking for a slate grey, but settled for my other favourite midnight blue.
Yes the avatar is mine, all stock items...cup 2s I think.

It's not bad, just paid 11750 GBP for it. Needs new roof and possible retrim inside.

Hoping to do some mods in future, however I am very limited on knowledge, experience and tools!

Hoping to learn as I go...

What does the vario ram do? (sorry I have no mechanical experience)

Did you fit all these mods yourself?

Cheers

Steve
Old 08-24-2012, 05:35 PM
paveltchour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks absolutely great! Good choice
Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Yes, i think it is an interesting color, color seems to change with different light.
Sounds like a good deal - for the roof and the retrim interior you are in the right country. Seems like there are a fair amount of trim shops that know what they are doing. Hard to find a good one around here. Think most of of the retrim jobs I have seen done on Rennlist in the US have been by owners over shops. I replace my roof several years ago - boy that was a learning experience.
Learn as you go, buy tools as you need them - step one you have taken, that is being on this forum- you can find all the information you want here with a little searching - and if you need help or advice the chaps here are more than willing to offer ideas and solutions, a very good group of fellows many with doctoral degrees (so to say) on the 964.
Yes, I try to do most of my mods myself - some cases it is learn as I go, but I have been twisting wrenches for a few years so am pretty comfortable.
The varioram is a variable intake system that is designed to increase low end torque and power. If you looked at a Dyno chart of a normal vs. a Varioram engine you would see that the Varioram has a marked increase in power around 2700 RPM in both torque and HP. But, all evens out as you get to higher RPM - 5800 - 6000 or so.
You can find info on Varioram on the forum just use the search tool.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PChar
Looking back I should have gone with more negative camber in the front, but was affraid of excessive tire wear.
with -2 at front, i had even tyre wear with 2 track days and 7000kms road kms. plenty of life left.

rear at -2 was gone.

Quick Reply: From 17 to 18 in Wheels - changes???