Sponsored by:

Anyone know about these rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 02:26 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

EVERYTIME somebody on this forum has purchased a questionable new item from eBay, that on the surface was extremely cheap, they ended up with a total piece of ****.

More than likely somebody in California bought a cargo container of unknown brake rotors (through Alibaba) made in China from who knows what. And two years from now they will fail (or overheat the first time you try to do a few high-speed braking maneuvers) because in an effort to save $.15 per rotor they "forgot" to heat treat the discs...

Originally Posted by bignut
i bought a set from this seller last year for my 92. yes they have the best price and no problem so far. would buy again.
I hope you'll understand why there is some MAJOR skepticism surrounding a first-time poster vouching for a POS product sold-through eBay?
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Well... I haven't tried them and i wouldn't try them either.

I must admit that I recently bought some rear rotors from a manufacturer that makes rotors for GM amongst others. Simply because the rotors on my model 964 run up to about $400 each including shipping (a bit too much for what it is). So I tried a set of discs that supposedly were "identical".

After arriving they are not "identical". One of them is very close, the other is slightly off. As a result one had a black coating, one had none (that visual aspect annoyed me - but it was fixed with some matte black paint)... the retainer screws on one of the rotors could not be used since the holes didn't line up... and when I measure thickness one was .2mm off the spec. Worst part: they were advertised as USA made and the stamp on them said made in China.

Since I had them I put them on and after break in and proper bedding in with new Textar pads the are doing fine (probably 1200 miles or so since). Can't say much else, but I'm think of going with original or OEM drilled next time.

All this to say: be careful, WYSIWYG is not always true on fleabay - even with great ratings.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the sense you didn't get the response you were hoping for ...

The reason you only got ONE person vouching for these and many people steering you away, is that people generally don't put crap products on their Porsche's, especially in regards to items involving safety.

I think, if anything, you should be grateful that strangers are trying to give you honest sound advice in hopes that you go with a product that may save you from a collision.

But, if its not what you want to hear, you can go with the advice you got from someone that uses them on his SUV. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

I do use factory pads but they feel better to me no fade under extremes and less brake dust. They have been on the car for 5years and still appear new without any warping
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts

The frozen power slot rotors that is...
Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulie964
I get the sense you didn't get the response you were hoping for ...

The reason you only got ONE person vouching for these and many people steering you away, is that people generally don't put crap products on their Porsche's, especially in regards to items involving safety.

I think, if anything, you should be grateful that strangers are trying to give you honest sound advice in hopes that you go with a product that may save you from a collision.

But, if its not what you want to hear, you can go with the advice you got from someone that uses them on his SUV. Good luck.
Well stated.

altarchsa - If you decide to give them a try, let us know how it works out for you. Would I buy them? No. I don't take chances with suspect quality parts. I did when I was younger on my VW Bugs and was stranded several times. I learned my lesson. Buy the best and only cry once.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 08-27-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone know about these rotors?