Sponsored by:

I like Mobil Delvac Gear Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:36 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I like Mobil Delvac Gear Oil

I've had my car for a little over 2 years and one of the first DIY jobs I did was changing the gear oil. I was new to Porsche and had zero experience with the 964 so I didn't really know how the transmission and shifter was supposed to feel. I have no idea what oil was in the gearbox originally but when I drained it was black and opaque. After reading this board I decided to try the Redline 75w-90ns because I have a limited slip. The shifts felt less notchy and the shifter engaged the gears in a more fluid way. I put probably 5-6k miles on the car using Redline

Well 2 weekends ago I swapped out the Redline for Mobil Delvac that I got from the fine people at Lufteknic. I think I like the Delvac better and I even mentioned it to my wife when we were driving to dinner in the car last night (she could care less but it made enough of an impression that I had to tell someone!)

What do I like about the Delvac? Well it IS slightly more notchy than before but the shifts feel better. I feel more connected to the gearbox than before and I drive the car more smoothly. Each shift feels very positive and I can tell exactly when I am in gear after each push/pull of the shifter. Clutch pickup is more smooth and I feel like I am driving the car better. Spirited driving and high rev shifting also feels a lot better. I did some highway on ramp runs and 2-3 and 3-4 at high revs felt super smooth. With the Redline each hard shift made the car buck and the clutch engagement would cause the revs to bounce around before climbing upward.

Maybe in 2 more years I will try the Amsoil severe gear but for now I am very happy.

my $.02
Old 08-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mike9186
....I put probably 5-6k miles on the car using Redline

...I even mentioned it to my wife when we were driving to dinner in the car last night (she could care less but it made enough of an impression that I had to tell someone!)
What do I like about the Delvac? Well it IS slightly more notchy than before ...
Did the wife pretend to look interested or did she just roll her eyes?
How did the Redline look after 5-6K miles, color-wise?
I had mentioned on here before that the only notchiness I get with the Delvac are on the first 1-2-3 shifts on a stone cold engine, that's it.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife is a good sport and knows how crazy I am about the car so she pretended to care. My bubble was burst a little bit when I sat down for dinner and told our friends "I drove the Porsche here!". They smiled and said oh yes you parked behind us. They were driving a brand new Maserati Gran Turismo convertible that they had shipped up from Florida for the month. Apparently they also brought up a Ferarri but that was at their house so I never saw it. Ahh the Hamptons.

The old Redline looked fine. Slightly darker than new but perfectly translucent and clean.

Quick Reply: I like Mobil Delvac Gear Oil