Sponsored by:

G64 trans into VW Split screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default G64 trans into VW Split screen

Hi, i am new to the forum and i am hoping someone out there may be able to help me with some technical advise. I am building a porsche 911 powered VW Splitty and for more fun i have decided to make it 4x4. I am using a g64 trans from the 964, torque tube, front diff and front suspension set up. My question is, i know the trans has various locks for the PDAS but i do not want to use these and i have heard that the trans can be run without them. Can anyone confirm this and if so can i just blank off the mounting apertures? Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. You might want to find the Porsche Allrad book and have a read through it for a complete description of the technical aspects of the PDAS locks etc. There's also a 4WD example of a very early Beetle that was used as an everyday driver by Porsche back in the day.

http://amzn.com/351701124X

I am not an expert, but I have driven the C4 quite aggressively for 6 years. It all depends on how you plan to use the final build... The question for me is if you run into more problems without the locks or not. You didn't mention if you were going to also use the high-pressure braking system, as that is required for the PDAS system to work at all... PDAS was of course engineered with the C4 dimensions (weight, length etc) and suspension geometry in mind... so it may all be irrelevant in your situation anyway...

If you haven't read the book, I'd recommend it as it plots Porsche AWD from 1900 to 1990... some pretty good information for what you are trying to do.

Are you going to use the engine too?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

+1 - The Allrad book is terrific. Sounds like an interesting project. Please share photos and details as you make progress. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Hi, will not be using the abs so I see the trans purely as a means to provide awd. I only ever intend to use the bus for fun and am putting in a 1966 2.0L 911 engine with the triple webers, more than enough power and they look beautiful! So if I can use the trans without the pdas then great. Will def buy the book you mention.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The best vanagon syncros have manual controls for the rear diff , center locker and front diff .
If I were doing all the work you are thinking of doing , I think I might look into doing the same sort of set up as the syncro .
http://syncro.org/?page_id=5
Old 07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Did think about syncro route but thought matting the trans to 911 engine would be tricky. Its also quite a chunky system where as the 964 kit is relatively compact. A consideration when trying to hide it all under a micro bus.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:46 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am guessing that if you want offroad control, you'd want the locks to work. Otherwise it is a stock 39/61 split (AFAIK). Will you have issues with wheel slip or otherwise if you get offroad? Perhaps you can do an electronic version that is all off or all on for at least when the going gets rough? I am not sure what kind of force you'd need to generate to affect/modulate the clutch stack friction... they do it with pretty high pressure hydraulics...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love to see pics if you go for it, & pics always welcome of progress & best of luck with a awsome project...
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

I think the worst the van q.z encounter is a muddy festival field in England. Its not so much because I drastically need awd more the fact of why not try building it. They do say if you are going to be a bear be a grizzly!
I like the idea of all on or all off. I wonder if I could generate the pressure required with an electric hyd power steering module????
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Default some photos

how hard can it be.....................

more photos are here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78596025@N06/

Last edited by duke of boots; 07-27-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
rocketdogbert
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ever so slightly mental :lol:
Old 08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Default 996 meets 964 meets sack cart

started laying out the chassis today'. will have to have bespoke drive shafts made as the 996 suspension units will have to be positioned closer to the 964 than the original drive shafts will allow.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by duke of boots
Did think about syncro route but thought matting the trans to 911 engine would be tricky. Its also quite a chunky system where as the 964 kit is relatively compact. A consideration when trying to hide it all under a micro bus.
I was not suggesting that you use syncro parts , I was suggesting that you control the 964 parts from the dash like they do in a syncro .
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
duke of boots
Intermediate

Indy, have not seen the syncro control set up on the dash but will have a look to see if it will provide a solution. Thanks for the steer.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by duke of boots
Indy, have not seen the syncro control set up on the dash but will have a look to see if it will provide a solution. Thanks for the steer.
I still am not making sense to you . We are talking about different things . I'm not suggesting you use syncro parts , not the drive line or the ***** on the dash . I am suggesting that you set up the controls on the dash like how they do in the syncro .
In the 964 the controls are done by the computer .
In the syncro the controls are done by hand via ***** on the dash .
In the syncro there can be no ***** , one **** , two ***** or three ***** .
no ***** = no locking diffs
one **** = the rear diff can be locked
two ***** = the front and rear diffs can be locked
three ***** = the front and rear diffs can be locked and a central connector can connect the front to the rear .

You were saying that you would have no controls , I was suggesting you could maybe have controls like in the syncro . Not done with syncro parts .

If you look at the paris dakar 959 car , it has a **** for the driver to use .
The Pinzgauer has three levers .
http://www.t2k.com/pinz/1792ce10.jpg

Quick Reply: G64 trans into VW Split screen