Who has a car lift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
Mike

I have no problem getting to anything on the front or back, since the lift doesn't extend there. The center area is generally open and accessible. I, and others, cut off the lift's rear crossmember, which didn't reduce the integrity of the lift.

One problem with the MaxJax is that the posts are on the side, so if your garage is not extra wide, you could have a mounting problem.
Lou, where did you get your 6MR? im not far from you...

the price looks almost the same as the MaxJack ~$1500, but i dont trust my 30 year old garage floor for MJ. i think im going to go your route. I like the idea you did by cutting the rear crossbar. that would be plenty for me and i dont have to worry about my garage floor imploding.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:23 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a MaxJax but haven't yet installed it. For you folks with Maxjax lifts, what distance between the columns did you use? (Measured from the inside edge of each base plate...right now I'm thinking 105"). I have a 964, a Honda Element and a 2010 GTI.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the Bend-Pak full rise scissor lift (SP-7X). My garage is too narrow for a two-post, but I wanted the benefits of a full-rise lift. I bought it through the local Bend-Pak dealer, who also handled the delivery and installation in my garage. It's absolutely brilliant, by far the best 'tool' I've ever purchased.

The Bend-Pak model was pretty much the only one on the market at the time, though I think Greg Smith/Atlas Eq. has added a very similar model.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
Lou, where did you get your 6MR? im not far from you...

the price looks almost the same as the MaxJack ~$1500, but i dont trust my 30 year old garage floor for MJ. i think im going to go your route. I like the idea you did by cutting the rear crossbar. that would be plenty for me and i dont have to worry about my garage floor imploding.
I bought it quite a few years ago from a vendor night at our local P-club Riesentoter.

Greg Smith company has a good mid-rise lift, and they are in Newark, Del. (no sales tax or delivery charges)!
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a maxjax. Greatest tool in the garage. Everything has become so much easier. Posts are spaced 97 inches from inside edge of one post to the inside edge of the other.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Oh, and yes, I dug 2 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot deep holes in the garage, filled with concrete, and rebarred into the neighboring existing concrete. My garage floor is ****ty and didn't trust it so a buddy and I did the extra hard work of pouring footing for it.

Ricardo
Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 AM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Here is mine

Maxjax and the owner is very happy with many envious friends

Last edited by Twood; 12-06-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by cwrm4
I have a MaxJax but haven't yet installed it. For you folks with Maxjax lifts, what distance between the columns did you use? (Measured from the inside edge of each base plate...right now I'm thinking 105"). I have a 964, a Honda Element and a 2010 GTI.
I went 107 inches-it was the maximum I could go as I had an expansion joint in the middle of the garage but if you can go wider i feel that is better both from access if you need to open a door and for larger vehicles. From memory you can go out tom 115 inches.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:46 PM
cobias1
Racer

if you arent sure about the width you could possibly set your posts up drive the car in between and extend the arms to what you feel is a comfortable working area for yourself. thats what I plan on doing when I re-anchor mine as of now it works but as the previous poster said, i cannot open the doors at current.

Quick Reply: Who has a car lift?