Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diff and ABS warning lights coming on.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:16 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff and ABS warning lights coming on.

Hi,

In the last 5 times I have taken my car out, 3 times both the ABS and diff warning lights have come on. When i have stopped at a junction and turned the car off and re-started it they have not come back on.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this? I'm guessing its not a big issue as i'm assuming they would stay on if it was.

Cheers
Simon
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frequently connected to low brake fuid, my car is incredibly sensitive and has to be absolutely full to avoid triggering warning lights

A possibility at least
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by freedman
Frequently connected to low brake fuid, my car is incredibly sensitive and has to be absolutely full to avoid triggering warning lights

A possibility at least
Thanks for suggestion, i'll take a look.

cheers
Simon
Old 07-12-2012, 06:28 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Has anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Usually when a warning light illuminates it's indicating a malfunction with the system involved. Does the ABS / Diff lock function?

I'm guessing its not a big issue as i'm assuming they would stay on if it was.
You know what happens when one assumes!
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fluid levels
Voltage/earthing issues (worse because of the rain)
Worn out bomb
Defective pressure switch
Weak pressure pump

Are all possible candidates.

I get someting similar from time to time and have done on and off for the last three years, like you say turning the engine off and on sorts it when it doesnt clear itself, usually just clears when you pull away. You could get someone to hook it up to a hammer but i'd guess it wont show any errors. The more serious failure, which wont give any warning lights, is dodgy ABS which can find unusual and scary ways to fail.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Probably not a worn out bomb - I had this replaced when I owned the car. Although come to think of it, it was when I had ABS problems when I first bought the car, so I suppose that was about 9 or 10 years ago. But, if it was the accumulator, I don't think it would clear with ignition off / on.

As I said to you today - my guess is electrical, because I did have those lights come on sometimes if I used the horn and I never did find the cause. I suspect that whatever it was has now got slightly worse.

Either that, or the previous owner sold you a dud.

ETA : By the way - I have Durametric, which I've already used with that car. It gives a LOT less info than it does for my turbo, but if you want to check for codes etc. let me know.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexjc4
The more serious failure, which wont give any warning lights, is dodgy ABS which can find unusual and scary ways to fail.
That would be interesting........

Originally Posted by DaveK
Either that, or the previous owner sold you a dud.
I'll be having a word with him :-D

Cheers
Simon
Old 07-15-2012, 11:49 AM
cobias1
Racer

just corrected mine on a 91 C-2 by reconnecting wires that had been cut long before i bought the car. until i can get hold of the new connector i just electric taped the cut together and thats been over a week ago. have driven in rain and back and forth to the plant several times and no issues so far. found it while i was changing out the steering rack...lucky find.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is this bomb you all are mentioning? do you mean pump?

i get abs warning light on and off. cleaned all the ground cables and the fluid is high. what are the likely culprit? when the abs light goes off, the voltage jumps.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

It's the round bomb looking thing, which is the accumulator.

The abs systems needs a good clear power signal if you have a weak alt it can make the light come on. Sounds like a short, bad connection, alternator issue.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:36 PM
sail2fast
Track Day

I recently got that symptom + no speedometer because a fuse was knocked loose in the fuse box.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
nvrlft
Instructor

ok....so this is one of those topics that has been beaten to death. There are simply too many reasons this could happen. It has happened to me twice with completely different faults. One was a defective airbag sensor. The second was a fault in the accelerometers. Both were readily addressed.
The only way I was able to get this fixed was to take the car to the wrench and get the fault codes read and cleared.
Save yourself the stress....go get it diagnosed.

just my $.02
jt
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM
DaveK
Race Car

The good news is, we can rule out airbags - it doesn't have them.

Accelerometer is possible but unlikely - I had that problem when I bought the car - in fact, I think I was one of the first 964 owners to discover that the accelerometers can have a very unpleasant effect on braking (I got no warning lights, but the system would simply enable ABS too early and then decide you were skidding and simply release the brakes. I genuinely went through a red light once as a result). I therefore cleaned the accelerometer out every couple of years just in case - and I know for sure it wasn't the cause when I had these lights come on due to using the horn.

I think the good power signal / good earth is the place to start investigation. Note that it shouldn't be an alternator problem - it had a new alternator a couple of months before you bought the car.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaveK
I think the good power signal / good earth is the place to start investigation. Note that it shouldn't be an alternator problem - it had a new alternator a couple of months before you bought the car.
I'm going to start looking at the earths etc soon. Having said that, it hasn't done it again for a while. I'll have a chat with you off thread soon as i need to pick up those tyres.

Simon
Old 07-18-2012, 03:22 PM
djantlive
Drifting

my ABS light issue was fixed. there is another thread here on abs light. i unplugged the harness from the abs computer, using a multimeter, there were easy instructions on how to test certain pins on the harness to pin point if there is a bad speed sensor on wiring. it turned out that my harness and abs computer had a poor connection. after spraying some electrical connection cleaner, the abs no longer pops up intermittently.

if anyone has abs light issue, i would recommend looking at the other thread on this forum.

Quick Reply: Diff and ABS warning lights coming on.