Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner advice for my 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 PM
jimholden
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that’s an accurate assessment. I’ll provide updates when I get mine back later this week with all the latest greatest money can buy or waste.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:42 AM
mootsvamootsrsl
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Same thing happened to me. My car is currently going through with the Griffiths Kuehl air evaporator replacement. Yes, its a ton of work but Im sure will be worth it.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Ubipa
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts

I wonder how far off an aftermarket electric heat pump solution could be. Tesla has one in the Model Y and I believe they still use 12v for accessories. How nice would that be for a 964 upgrade, low press AC and a heat solution!
Old 07-27-2020, 07:38 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 779 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 540964
A big job. I completely rebuilt the system last winter. New evaporator, expansion valve, receiver dryer, condenser, compressor. Removed and flushed/cleaned all lines. I replaced the rubber hoses in the engine bay a few years ago because of leakage so those are reused. All new o-rings at every connection. I have no idea how many hours i worked on it, was a long project. When the weather was hot enough I adjusted the R12 charge and the system worked great for an hour or so then began to blow warm air. That fault was traced to the evaporator sensor location. The original spot in center of evaporator seemed to be the warmest spot on the coil so the compressor would not cycle to keep the coil ice free. I found an old Rennlist post that outlined moving the sensor to a lower spot on the evaporator coil and that solved the issue, the compressor now cycles as it should and the coil does not freeze. On 90 degree day I'm getting approx 50 degree discharge temperature, not as cold as I had hoped for but much better than before. By the way the evaporator I used is the Griffin serpent, nice kit.
could you show the link regarding the sensor location. I have a full Griffith ac replacement going in at the moment. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:34 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

I bought a Mahle made in germany oem replacement for $250 or so a few months back. Not sure why same part is now more (summer maybe ha).

thankfully my conversion seems to be holding so far and I don’t think I am going to electively change the evaporator or expansion valve if I continue to see 50° Vent temperatures for the remainder of the summer

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...re-96457390100
Old 07-27-2020, 09:34 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasPorschelover
could you show the link regarding the sensor location. I have a full Griffith ac replacement going in at the moment. Thank you.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...cing-long.html
Old 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM
964.4L
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
Anyone with actual experience with the electric AC conversion?

https://www.classicretrofit.com/coll...r-conditioning

It seems like if you are going to spend 3-4K on a complete overhaul, this could potentially be a good option.

Mine needs an overhaul, but I have still been trying to figure out best route to go
I bought the classic retrofit kit for the 964 about 4 weeks ago. It should be arriving any day now. Fitting to my car as part of the broader build process. Will report back on a/c performance once the car is all up and running. I’ll post it on my build thread. Cheers
Old 07-28-2020, 08:53 PM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 964.4L
I bought the classic retrofit kit for the 964 about 4 weeks ago. It should be arriving any day now. Fitting to my car as part of the broader build process. Will report back on a/c performance once the car is all up and running. I’ll post it on my build thread. Cheers
thanks. I’ve been following your build for quite a while. It’s superb. I have a backdated 964 that I hope to do a 4.0 build sometime in the future. It would be nice to consider the electric cooler kit when I do it. I really look forward to hearing about your experience with it
Old 07-29-2020, 04:11 AM
964.4L
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jadski
thanks. I’ve been following your build for quite a while. It’s superb. I have a backdated 964 that I hope to do a 4.0 build sometime in the future. It would be nice to consider the electric cooler kit when I do it. I really look forward to hearing about your experience with it
Thanks for the kind words. I’m assured these electric systems work well. So fingers crossed. I do note that I live in the UK, so its never going to have to work too hard.

ps post some pics of your back date 👍

Old 12-27-2020, 01:31 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 215 Posts

This is probably not the time to worry about AC in Illinois but with the car stored for the winter now is a good time to address AC issues. I recharged my AC and it blew cold and worked great for about a week. Then I found a puddle of oil in the engine bay under the compressor and oil on the compressor body. I'm assuming that means a blown seal in the compressor. I see a new Denso replacement for under $200 and I'm thinking it's not much money and the easiest part of the AC to reach. Am I missing something? It seems too easy.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:43 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

Compressor rebuilds seem to occupy a similar space to Alternator rebuilds in that they are often cheap and bad. Not saying all are. I went thru this for my BMW and got a bad one from "Four Seasons". I then found a guy on the M6 forum who does this work on a sort of hobby basis and does an excellent job. I believe he'd work on the Denso, if memory serves the E30 had a Denso also. Jay Stratton is his name. If not him I'd look for a shop with a rep others stand behind rather then a rebuilt unit off the shelf.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:01 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

In the process of pulling out most of my A/C components except the evaporator but will do that when I get to it. For anyone that's removed the condenser, any tricks? Mine seems tight even after removing the lines, bracket and fan.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:07 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 351 Likes on 215 Posts

It's funny but the one I'm looking at doesn't indicate rebuilt but seems the price would be too low for new.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner advice for my 964 C2