Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Crazy For Thinking ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:34 AM
bmohr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't want to get my hopes up, but did want to confirm i'm "in" for a 4-5k tpc supercharger group buy. Fingers crossed and all that, but I'm not sure they would drop a couple grand off their selling price. Plus, most of the reading I've done on these installs the owners have included engine mods to withstand the added pressures that a supercharger/turbo kit would put on old 3.6 engines. Stronger rods etc? Some have had issues with fuel management/ecu parameters? The idea is great, but maybe we could get a better picture of the true success of these kits on our 964's with a round of "its everything I ever dreamed of" or "can or worms" comments from our community.?

Great overview here i suppose:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=88321

Last edited by bmohr; 07-10-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added thread link
Old 07-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Well guys, I PMed them. I'll keep you guys up to day with that they say.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 PM
SpecialSpeedster
7th Gear

Does the supercharger fit under a stock hood? I really like the look of the regular lid and the curve it keeps with the car's shape. The turbo wing is good an all but I think it'd be stealthier to keep it stock.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM
Merle
Racer

Originally Posted by Paulie964
So your average turbo or supercharger kit ranges from about 2k to 5k on the very high end. So why is it that the supercharger kit for the 964 are retailing for $7,500.

(For $5,500, you can buy TWIN turbo kits WITH an intercooler)

Is it because there is only one company out there that makes a forced induction kit for the 964 and they can charge whatever they want? Or, are the kits extremely difficult to manufacture?

I hope I'm not alone here, but I feel like, if the kit was reasonably priced, the kits would fly off the shelves. I know I would buy one in a heart beat if they were, lets say, in the 4-5k range.

I'm really not trying to stir things up here, I'm just curious ...
It's the "P" tax. Why is that I can build a complete small block Chevy engine capable of space travel for the same cost of rebuilding just the top end with stock parts on a 964 engine?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, & not to go off topic here as thread is truly focused on a target for a group buy....but out of curiosity & its in the same vein of being large power-adder, i was wondering whether anyone has considered or completed a turbo nstall(single t-28 turbo).
generic kits, custom spec'd , with intercooler, wastegate etc. available for <$2,000.
i understand there is more cutting - fabricating to consider vs "bolt on" tpc kit.
but for low boost installation of a forced induction power adder seems far more economical, even with labor, pro tune.

i am also cloudy on the issue (nil to do with my location or inclination) as to why a short shot nos installation has not been considered for these cars. not inviting cynical comments as its actually more common in the U.S. than here & nil to do with "germanic purity" as its been favorably commented on as a power adder on bimmerforums of which i previously was on.
i had considered nos before i sold it for porsche purchase on my 04 sc'd (18lbs boost) cobra (pictured).
nos generally adds no more heat - stress on the engine than forced induction.

i am sure this will invite "attacks" but hopefully some well reasoned comments will also be directed.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

I know NOS injection is a very bad idea on air cooled motors because of the added heat produced ... more heat, more killer on the motor.

I too would be curious though if anyone has slapped together a turbo kit for a reasonable price. I actually prefer turbo. The reality (jumping back to my point) is that it seems easier and cheaper to just sell the 964 and buy a turbo-ed car after everything is said and done.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know NOS injection is a very bad idea on air cooled motors because of the added heat produced ... more heat, more killer on the motor.

I too would be curious though if anyone has slapped together a turbo kit for a reasonable price. I actually prefer turbo. The reality (jumping back to my point) is that it seems easier and cheaper to just sell the 964 and buy a turbo-ed car after everything is said and done.

agree heat is the killer for any engine....but all the research i did when i considered nos indicated it in fact produces less heat than forced induction power adders, & in fact has a cooling impact on intake.
no question conservative installation - short shot, perhaps wet system...may be best. controlling the extent of the explosion is crucial....perhaps a different perspective than just heat management with forced induction.

in the end...before i gave up on the chase (pursuit of increase boost via forced induction vs power added via nos i came to the conclusion:
-nos is very cheap installation, forced induction systems are not
-nos is not convenient....bottles need to be swapped in/out on a regular basis,
turbo/sc are convenient (exhaust gas, outside air is free & readily accessible)
-nos is truly a power adder for street (or strip), turbo is best for track....supercharger generally ok for both
-in all cases moderate usage of wot (wide open throttle for forced induction)
or a spray (nos) is advisable to extend engine life unless forged internals-race heads are in attendance
-nos installations carry a degree of "stigma" , forced induction do not but in all cases none of them recover the cost of the installation in the event of sale (adds to the argument always buy power on the hoof rather than diy or do nos).

if now faced with a decent engine that i wanted to run quicker on the street....i would likely do nos installation.

i always enjoy this very old 'top gear' clip. good luck with your group buy endeavor
Old 07-11-2012, 06:36 PM
PChar
Racer

Paulie. I'm with you on that as well. I have been looking for an SC for a couple of years now for my 964. I have contacted TPC several times, and the $7500 they ask is out of line if you ask me, and this does not include the intercooler, which is another $4000.
IMHO, if they would seel their kit for half price, to Rennlisters (group buy) they would make more money in short term than waiting for a potential customer to buy the kit at full price, which they may sell 1 or 2 over the next few years,...

I had an SC on my '86 Carrera, it was a joy,.. gobs of low end torque, I miss it and wish I had this again.
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Well, I have contacted them, just waiting to hear back ... would you be in on the group buy?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM
PChar
Racer

I would be in for $4,500, and if their intercooler is no greater than $1,500.

Elois Ruf sells his intercooler for much less than TPC,...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by PChar
I would be in for $4,500, and if their intercooler is no greater than $1,500.

Elois Ruf sells his intercooler for much less than TPC,...
Though it's true that the more people you get to commit to a group buy, the lower the price will be, don't expect you're ever gonna get a $7500 part for $4500. That's 40% off the normal price, and I've never seen any group buy where there's a 40% price cut for 5-10 people. Chances are very likely 40% is not gonna happen.

I would say with 5-10 people firmly committed to purchase immediately, a 10%-20% discount could be possible, maybe even more if you catch the company at the right time. Any more would either be perfect timing or a pipe dream.

That said, if you're able to secure a 40% discount or more, you will have no problem getting many people to commit, I'd bet. I'd seriously consider one for my 993 at that discounted rate.

Last edited by goofballdeluxe; 07-11-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:01 PM
PChar
Racer

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Though it's true that the more people you get to commit to a group buy, the lower the price will be, don't expect you're ever gonna get a $7500 part for $4500. That's 40% off the normal price, and I've never seen any group buy where there's a 40% price cut for 5-10 people. Chances are very likely 40% is not gonna happen.

Any more would either be perfect timing or a pipe dream.
Yeah, I see what your saying,... but a system that retails for $11,500 (including the intercoler),... is also more of a pipe dream from the TPC's end,...

Even with a mere 10% discount for an SC kit, it's just not enough. I could sell my 964, and with the money of the TPC kit with installation, I could purchase a decent 965 which would have a much greater resale value than any Supercharged 964 or 993.

My 0.02 cents
Old 07-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Amen ...

That's why I started this whole thread ... I thought i was alone in thinking that the price they set is outrageous ... It just boils down to the fact, that their kit is no where near worth the money ...
Old 07-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Paulie964
Rennlist Member

Heads up ... I got a reply from TPC ... Negotiations in the works
Old 07-20-2012, 06:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Heads up ... I got a reply from TPC ... Negotiations in the works
Any news?

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy For Thinking ...