Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Adjuster Bolt broke off!

Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
mc_renn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C Adjuster Bolt broke off!

I was replacing all the belts and everything was going fine and I was putting together the ac compressor and the bolt that adjusts the tension just sheared off! Now is it ok to use the AC or do I need to take off the A/C belt? The tension seems fine but I don't want to take any chances.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mc - if the belt is tight enough you're ok. Mine was like that when I bought my car and it wasn't a problem. The only time you'll miss it is if you have to tighten it in the future.

Did you loosen the adjusting nut first?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Assuming you can get the broken bolt out of there, a trip to the Lowe's hardware aisle should solve your problems.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by touque
Mc - if the belt is tight enough you're ok. Mine was like that when I bought my car and it wasn't a problem. The only time you'll miss it is if you have to tighten it in the future.

Did you loosen the adjusting nut first?
thanks for the info. i wasn't able to tighten it before it broke off. I tried to manually pull the compressor to the left and then tighten the bolts. It seems to be tight enough but there is some slack.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 AM
mc_renn
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vandit
Assuming you can get the broken bolt out of there, a trip to the Lowe's hardware aisle should solve your problems.

actually the actual metal piece holding the bolt just ripped off. i wasn't even putting a lot of effort into it--it broke off like a piece of styrofoam!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:00 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolt serves no purpose after the 4 compressor bolts are tightened, so OK to run A/C without it. You can use a pry bar to move the compressor and tighten the belt further, but ONLY if the pry bar is placed against the groove of the pully.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Adjuster Bolt broke off!