Sponsored by:

Please take a look at this engine shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
It would not give me confidence in a shop that would spec under/oversize without having inspected & measured the crank.

As for the delay to get parts, how much time is saved if the incorrect parts are ordered or if additional parts needed.

Not recommending upgraded rod bolts would also cause me to doubt the shop.

If all parts are 2X for import, how much to pull engine and ship to the States for a rebuild. The savings on parts could pay for shipping. And get a known quality builder.
+1 Your mechanic doesn't know 911's or 964's if he's so sure you will need to grind the crank and oversize the bearings, unless you have a really high mileage car, and I mean really high. Anyway, you do not want to grind a 911 crank as they are super-hardened. I was told the only place to get them re-hardened is a Nascar builder type operation.

Red flag here. Does your mechanic really know 911's. If not, RUN don't walk to one who does. My car had $11,300 work done by an exotic car mechanic just before I bought it. Apparently they didn't know how critical valve guides are in 911'sand didn't replace them. Four months later I dropped a valve, probably due to worn guides causing the valve stems to overheat, and tore up a cylinder. Get someone who KNOWS 911's.

Last edited by altarchsa; 07-01-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by altarchsa
+1 Your mechanic doesn't know 911's or 964's if he's so sure you will need to grind the crank and oversize the bearings, unless you have a really high mileage car, and I mean really high. Anyway, you do not want to grind a 911 crank as they are super-hardened. I was told the only place to get them re-hardened is a Nascar builder type operation.

Red flag here. Does your mechanic really know 911's. If not, RUN don't walk to one who does. My car had $11,300 work done by an exotic car mechanic just before I bought it. Apparently they didn't know how critical valve guides are in 911'sand didn't replace them. Four months later I dropped a valve, probably due to worn guides causing the valve stems to overheat, and tore up a cylinder. Get someone who KNOWS 911's.
Thanks Altarchsa for your help!!
The mechanic shop is owned and run by THE main experts on 911's in my country, it is a family business and The older guys have been servicing Porsches for more than 25 years, yesterday I spoke to a
friend who's 964 engine was rebuild in this shop and he is very happy
With The engine, he didn't buy oversize bearings but they did tell them The crankshaft needed work to be perfect and rebuild The engine, if they don't know what they are doing, me and my friend's are in deep trouble
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry964
Thanks Makmov!!!! would you please explain to me why you would choose std std for the crank, my mechanic seems so sure that I need oversize main bearing shells.
Regarding upper end stuff, yes it would be ordered later, the main issue living so far from EEUU is that takes 3 weeks to get parts here and I have to pay 100% more for everything than what you pay in the states
Sure, you always want to try and use a std std crank, you cut some hardness of the crank when you trun them down, also a thicker bearing has less heat transfer away from the journal.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Henry964
Thanks Altarchsa for your help!!
The mechanic shop is owned and run by THE main experts on 911's in my country, it is a family business and The older guys have been servicing Porsches for more than 25 years, yesterday I spoke to a
friend who's 964 engine was rebuild in this shop and he is very happy
With The engine, he didn't buy oversize bearings but they did tell them The crankshaft needed work to be perfect and rebuild The engine, if they don't know what they are doing, me and my friend's are in deep trouble
I suspect the "fix" was to weld the crank and resize it to standard. Also not ideal. Makes them brittle.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

There are some places that are not NASCAR shops to get a crank nitrated.

But I agree, this guy whoever he is, raises a bunch of doubt and questions to be asked.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
Makmov
Drifting

did the keepers fall out or did the end of the valve break off?

Quick Reply: Please take a look at this engine shopping list