Please take a look at this engine shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please take a look at this engine shopping list

With the assistance of my mechanic I developed this shopping list for the renewal of my 964 engine, I didnīt yet include the cylinders and piston set, the clutch and some other parts that we will wait till the engine is open to decide if they need to be ordered, can you please take a look and tell if something is missing? (between brackets the part name in english)

(Parts for Engine rebuild) 30/06/12

1) Cojinetes cigüeņal (Main Bearing Set shell oversize 0,25 mm)
930 101 131 71 (2)
930 101 132 71 (12)
964 101 138 66 (1)
2) Cojinetes de biela (Rod Bearing shell set undersize 0,25 mm)
930 103 147 50 (12)
3) Tornillos de biela ( connecting rod bolt)
964 103 176 00 (12)
4) Juntas del carter (Crankcase Gasket set)
930 100 901 04 (1)
5) Juntas de motor (Engine Head Gasket set)
964 100 902 00 (1)
6) Aros (Piston rings)
964 103 925 00 (6) One per piston
7)Bujías (spark plugs Bosch FR 5 DTC)
999 170 183 90 (12)
8)Cojinetes arbol intermedio (Intermediate Shaft Inner Bearings)
996 101 435 70 (2)
996 101 137 80 (2)
9) Tuercas de tornillo de biela (Connecting Rod Nut)
993 103 174 02 (12)

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know if there is any point in starting a shopping list until the engine is apart.
As far as rod bolts, I would go for aftermarket such as ARP or Raceware, much better than oem.
Just my 2 cents......
Good luck with the rebuild, will be a nice feeling when you get it back.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is your shop not doing this? Pointless stating oversize shells etc etc until the engine is apart and things measured and evaluated correctly. You may / may not need valves or springs, camshafts, cylinders and pistons, crankshaft ..... but until you inspect it is impossible to know.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be looking for a std std crank if it comes down to it. Yeah, I am surpirsed there is no upper end stuff.

Agreed you just don't know until you know and the only way to know is pull it apart and check everything.

Sould like a goober shop
Old 06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

cam chains , chain guides

2nd oil filter set up

Power steering pump rebuild kit

Clutch parts

And to everyone else , he is just making a list . He is not ordering parts . When it comes time to order parts he will have done some of the leg work , he will have looked around for prices etc etc etc .
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 AM
ALEX P
Racer

I would certainly be changing the head studs & would either go for 993TT (fully threaded jobbies) or Supertec etc etc.

You really don't want to rebuild & then have one let go 6 months down the line!!
Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Makmov
I'd be looking for a std std crank if it comes down to it. Yeah, I am surpirsed there is no upper end stuff.

Agreed you just don't know until you know and the only way to know is pull it apart and check everything.

Sould like a goober shop
Thanks Makmov!!!! would you please explain to me why you would choose std std for the crank, my mechanic seems so sure that I need oversize main bearing shells.
Regarding upper end stuff, yes it would be ordered later, the main issue living so far from EEUU is that takes 3 weeks to get parts here and I have to pay 100% more for everything than what you pay in the states
Old 07-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

Henry if you have to pay so much more, then why not order from the states? Is it an import duty problem?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
cam chains , chain guides

2nd oil filter set up

Power steering pump rebuild kit

Clutch parts

And to everyone else , he is just making a list . He is not ordering parts . When it comes time to order parts he will have done some of the leg work , he will have looked around for prices etc etc etc .
Thanks Indy!!! good advice as usual I will make them check those items

Actually buying parts from EEUU has gotten rather difficult here, as an example I canīt legally buy U$S dollars no more, even as a senior manager in a big multinational company who pays a lot of taxes I am not allowed to buy foreign currency.( like it happens in Venezuela)
I will have to buy parts with my credit card in small shipments so they donīt realize that I am buying lotīs of stuff in another country
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ALEX P
I would certainly be changing the head studs & would either go for 993TT (fully threaded jobbies) or Supertec etc etc.

You really don't want to rebuild & then have one let go 6 months down the line!!
Thanks ALEX P can you please elaborate on this head studs issue? and where to buy good ones
Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It would not give me confidence in a shop that would spec under/oversize without having inspected & measured the crank.

As for the delay to get parts, how much time is saved if the incorrect parts are ordered or if additional parts needed.

Not recommending upgraded rod bolts would also cause me to doubt the shop.

If all parts are 2X for import, how much to pull engine and ship to the States for a rebuild. The savings on parts could pay for shipping. And get a known quality builder.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gougha
ry;9652840
Henry if you have to pay so much more, then why not order from the states? Is it an import duty problem?
Yes my friend I have to pay 50% tax on the price of every part plus 50% tax on the shipping cost.
Also take in consideration that the customs guys will want to be bribed and if not they will make your life difficult by making all kind of excuses why you should not be allowed to get those parts inside the country

Mine is a country where corruption is everywhere especially in the government
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobaines
It would not give me confidence in a shop that would spec under/oversize without having inspected & measured the crank.

As for the delay to get parts, how much time is saved if the incorrect parts are ordered or if additional parts needed.

If all parts are 2X for import, how much to pull engine and ship to the States for a rebuild. The savings on parts could pay for shipping. And get a known quality builder.
Your advice is correct and very sound. but you cannot apply EEUU logic here, the shop I work with is the best one available in the country for these engines, the 2 other options (including the official dealer) are worser by far
If I tried to send my engine overseas for a rebuild, the most probably thing that will happen is it will be stealed somehow in the long bureaucratic process .
And if they donīt steal my engine I will have to bribe a lot of people with good money just to get my engine to the states and back.
Living in the third world is not easy
Old 07-01-2012, 02:45 PM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It might be easier and cheaper to ship your car to the US and back for some event and get a rebuild while here.

But I admit to not comprehending what could be involved with the export/re-import. Maybe the same risks and bribes.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines

Sterling advice here! There is a lot at stake and you want this critical job done properly. You would never believe what I've seen over the past 35+ years in this regard. Ultimately, you will live with the result so its worth all the efforts.

I do understand shipping and customs issues (I ship worldwide) and its always a challenge in many countries, however its worth spending some time at this.

Quick Reply: Please take a look at this engine shopping list