Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried & Failed to address Lower Valve Cover Leaks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 05:41 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deutschland-dobson
Thanks gents Bit disappointing that you have to drill the Hargett covers. Do the Rennline covers fit out of the box? I notice that the Rennline ones have a powder coat option. I take it there's no issue applying heat to cure a high temp paint finish then? Chris
I got black anodized, and the fit and finish is great other than the plug ends not being as snug.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:15 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
I have Hargett from a few years back. Cheaper than Tarrett and Rennline from memory, but they always leaked. Just had 1mm skimmed off each (50 quid a side), having previously changed gaskets and driven myself mad torquing in correct order over and over - and now they are dry. Finally.
The machine shop said the channels were exactly the depth of the gaskets. Fail! Should have bought the expensive ones...
Thanks Johnny, that's the info I need. Once I've double checked they are weeping ill order the Rennline ones.

Anyone have a discount code?

Chris
Old 05-30-2014, 06:29 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

It is not the cam covers. It is the o-rings between the cam towers and the cam chain houses. The oil goes downwards and enters at the lower cam covers. This is the number one leak sfter 20 years.

Thomas
Old 05-30-2014, 06:38 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ThomasC2
It is not the cam covers. It is the o-rings between the cam towers and the cam chain houses. The oil goes downwards and enters at the lower cam covers. This is the number one leak sfter 20 years.

Thomas
Do you have any more info you can share Thomas?

Chris
Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

It can be the covers but if they looks straight, fresch seals and tourqed correctly they should seal well since thr rubber seals are so thick so they even out the surface.

I couple of years ago I finally "had enough" of oil dripping on the the lower cam covers, it looked as it came from aorund cylinder 1 and 4, the two ones facing the rear of the car. It leaked more after hard track driving. But the covers wasn't the culprit.

Insted it is the big o-rings sealing the hole in the cam chain housings where the camshaft enters the housing. When it leaks the oil drips down in the space between the cam towers and the cam chain housings and ends up on the lower cam covers because they are the lowest point.

The o-rings gets hard, flat and shrinks after so many years. The heat and constant high oil preassure at track days makes the dripping worse. There's also a thin paper seal around each camshaft but the o-ring is the big thing.

In the picture you can see the new seals, green, and the old ones, red, mounted on the part that they sits on behind teh camdrive. You can actually see how thin and flat the red seals have become comaped to the new green one.

I replaced these with my engine in the car, so it is doable but of course easier with the engine out.

Thomas
Attached Images  

Last edited by ThomasC2; 06-01-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:14 PM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Many thanks for the info and photos

Chris
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I fitted the rennline ones for my build a few months back. Fitted good right out of the box. Comes with spark lead clips, drillings to take them and no leaks.

Quick Reply: Tried & Failed to address Lower Valve Cover Leaks...