Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013 | 12:06 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Default Cutting it fine...now even finer

I delivered the wheels to Paul today. Wish I hadn't gone really. The car is scarily devoid of all bits that make it move. Peppa's butt was up in the air ready to recieve the engine and gearbox. The wheels were off while the brake system was bled ready for fresh Motul RBF 600 and fresh Ferodo DS2500 pads. The seats are in manual mode only as the electrics are a bit shagged. The car will be running on stock springs as there is no time to fit the new ones, so I'll be riding a bit high and rolling a bit I guess, still at least I should be able to stop. The AC compressor is being left off for now as the system is leaking around the condensor. I should have heat which I think is going to be a bit more imporatnt this weekend. My rennline front struct brace and tow hook are lost somewhere at Parcelforce's International depot and have been there since March 3rd. ( Does anyone have a spare track spec tow hook I can borrow ?)

I have wet carpet after the car was outside for a bit and my new bumper irons might not get fitted in time....BUT if all goes well today I should be on the train. It's not exactly how I wanted to roll up and introduce Peppa and myself but at this point in time I will consider this a major achievement if I get that 10.20 train.

Just had phonecall from Paul the fluid pipes that serve the Diff Lock are cracked and leaking fluid. New pipes have been ordered but if they do not arrive tomorrow I will not make the train, but will do my best to catch a later one or even one on Saturday if it comes to that. This is what happens I guess....
Attached Images   
Old 03-20-2013 | 12:07 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

and the iphone photos are upside down.
Old 03-20-2013 | 12:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Normal Tow hook is fine for track Mike.
Old 03-20-2013 | 12:29 PM
Araf
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Frank, seeing as you are travelling later, PM me the numbers you have and I'll put them on a handout to give to peeps at the terminal. I have some others I can add to the list too.
Feel free to put my number on Boxsey - I'm sure you have it. I will probably be just across the border in Germany on the Friday, but if anyone has problems at that side of Belgium, then I can always come and find you. The only thing I wouldn't be able to help with is towing, as the VXR8s and Monaros don't have towing eyes.
Old 03-20-2013 | 12:31 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MusicMadMike
Just had phonecall from Paul the fluid pipes that serve the Diff Lock are cracked and leaking fluid. New pipes have been ordered but if they do not arrive tomorrow I will not make the train, but will do my best to catch a later one or even one on Saturday if it comes to that. This is what happens I guess....
Don't panic just yet, that picture can turn into a picture of a running car surprisingly quickly if you are a dab hand at it like Paul

If it's the rubber hoses that are the issue then the rear brake hoses are almost identical, the fittings are the same but the length is very slightly different. The diff lock hoses are twice the price and slower to get hold of, if I did mine again I'd be tempted to try to use the brake hose part number. Just a thought.

PS: I think we should instigate a new SOP - rennlisters in distress should post pictures upside down, like ships in distress with their flags.
Old 03-20-2013 | 01:54 PM
Zingari
Pro

Bad news chaps. Car collected from the paintshop and the bearing in the fan has developed a loud noise. A bearing is going to be couriered from OPC Reading to arrive tomorrow morning and will be fitted by my Indy.

The option was to pack the original bearing or fit the new one when/if it arrives. If it fails and strips off the belts it wont leave me in a good position.

I have had to cancel the track event as I dont want to thrash (well spirited driving) the car round the track when I have not had a real chance to iron out any foibles.

Just deliberating to travel as planned and to cheer on those that are tracking or bail out

The moral to this story is dont do any work on the car 3 months before a planned event

Gutted is not the word
Old 03-20-2013 | 01:55 PM
Masher
Instructor

I had always wondered how they got the engines out of these things. Just turn it upside down - and shake too?

Name:  empty engine bay.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  109.9 KB
Old 03-20-2013 | 01:58 PM
PeterS911
Advanced

Bad news Zingers. But if that means you won't be needing you clutch for a week or so then I can stick it in mine and come to the ball after all!
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:04 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zingari

Just deliberating to travel as planned and to cheer on those that are tracking or bail out
Do it. 3/4 of the fun is the atmosphere. What have you got to lose.
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:05 PM
Rephlex
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Do it. 3/4 of the fun is the atmosphere. What have you got to lose.
x 1000. Don't miss it, you will kick yourself for months!
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:13 PM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Come on down Zingers you will have a blast
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:33 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by clinchy993
+1 the trip is the main course the track action is just the desert.
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:35 PM
MusicMadMike
Racer

Oh no not another fallen Spartan!!! Zingers that's a nightmare. I am planning to get there somehow in my car even if I don't track it. It's now me (and Paul and Peppa) against adversity. Having never been on this trip I get the impression that the commaraderie makes this something special. If you can, go.
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:48 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Ok, now free from work till next Wednsday

Tomorrow got it booked in to re balance all 4 wheels and Nitogen fill (It'll make all the difference )

After that a decent clean and pack ready for Friday morning,

Cant wait...
Old 03-20-2013 | 02:52 PM
Zingari
Pro

Originally Posted by clinchy993
Cheers guys. I've just reviewed all the travel arrangements. Tunnel and hotels booked and paid for so looks like we are coming

I'll Make the decision tomorrow morning to risk the 964 or use the Audi. I'm sure that my remapped A2 will be able to keep up in the convoy

Quick Reply: London 964 Spa Francorchamps Weekend 2013 - The Sequel