Sponsored by:

Cab owners - how to mod the top to work with the engine running

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need to install the 993 top control unit then update the wiring for the control unit....its quite easy to do.....vinnie
Old 06-14-2012, 03:54 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL
I've seen this method but didn't know if it worked. I emailed a Porsche expert - Henry Riley - who has done the mod for his customers. He is sending me the info and I will post it up. It might just be the Green/White wire as you described.
I just got confirmation that this is in fact the proper way to do it. See the wiring diagram that is posted earlier in this thread. I'm going to do it this weekend.

Is the control unit under the dash or floorboard?
Old 06-14-2012, 04:10 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
you need to install the 993 top control unit then update the wiring for the control unit....its quite easy to do.....vinnie
The 993 unit was a replacement by the factory under TSB 9613 which has the instructions. The downside is that a 993 control unit is over $600. I'll tie a couple wires together instead.

So that could be the mystery as to why some 964"s work like 993's - the control unit was replaced.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,730 Posts

Update ?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Update ?
I keep putting it off because the control unit is a bitch to get to. The ignition switch wires and another module is in the way to get to the convertible top control module. It's still on the list of things to do.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,730 Posts

I thought you were just going to "jump" the original relay/wires ?

I usually keep the top down most of the summer, but as cooler weather approaches . . .

Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
I thought you were just going to "jump" the original relay/wires ?

I usually keep the top down most of the summer, but as cooler weather approaches . . .

Thanks for keeping us posted.
I am but I have to get to the green/white wires which is a bit challenging. I'll have another look this weekend.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Completed the mod yesterday.

I removed the driver's seat to get my big *** under there. I removed the VDO gauge module and then the convertible top controller. After I removed the top controller, I realized that I could have probably just pulled the end plug off that contains the Green/White wires.

The job would be the easiest if the lower dash was removed but that seemed excessive. I wish I had a buddy that is about 5'8 or smaller with very small hands. Probably would have taken 20 minutes. Instead it took me hours.

Love the mod though. The top light comes on each time the car is started like most said it would. The top button has to be hit in order for it to go out. I'll probably just remove the bulb from the clock.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeATL

Love the mod though. The top light comes on each time the car is started like most said it would. The top button has to be hit in order for it to go out. I'll probably just remove the bulb from the clock.
mine must be wired different because my light doesnt come on unless it is not locked down tight. I need to pull mine out and check the joints because sometimes it stops on the way up or down and I have to let off the button and push it again. When I get it open I will take a picture of the wiring.

Quick Reply: Cab owners - how to mod the top to work with the engine running