Sponsored by:

Oil drip is back

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 PM
BigMikeATL
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil drip is back

I thought it was the drain plug and after cleaning it up, changing the oil, and going for a 20 minute drive, there wasn't any oil left over night. I drove the car to work Monday and this morning I saw some drops in the same place.

Thanks to digital photography, I believe I found the right hose/line. Further investigation tomorrow.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:26 PM
Merle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That line is probably leaking at the crimped connection where the hard line goes into the hose. It's behind the tank so you can't really see it. That line costs about $400 but a lot of people have had bad luck with the new replacement because of the hose that is used now. I pulled the line off my car and had it rebuilt using the old hard lines by Elephant Racing for about $100 and they use better hose than Porsche does.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I was a bit surprised when you said in your original thread that you fixed it w/ a new drain crush washer.

That's pretty much how my Line 16 looks. It's sweating a decent amount of oil. Yours looks like it may be leaking at the fitting too. The OEM replacement hose is expensive, so what lots of people do is reuse the ends on the old hose and have a local hydraulic shop rebuild the hose. I believe Elephant Racing also offers this service. This gives you a new hose for a fraction of the cost of OEM. Go look at the PelicanParts thread I linked in your original thread.

This Pelican thread

I'm not going to drop the tank and replace this line just yet. I'll live w/ my sweaty line and probably replace the return line from the engine to the oil filter console (required heat exchanger removal) and this line (required oil tank removal) together sometime in the future.

Additionally, on mine, I believe the short hose that's ahead of the hardline is also leaking a bit. I'm going to replace those two hoses soon since they're less than $20/each and easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Oil drip is back