Sponsored by:

plug and play H4 wiring w relay - WTB

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts
Default plug and play H4 wiring w relay - WTB

I just received an H4 headlight set from another rennlist member - ty very much, they arrived in tact and happy -

Now - I have posted before and asked questions about relays etc. I'm kind of a wiring dumdum...SO - the question is - Do we have an expert in the house that would like to take a shot at pre-making a wiring setup with relay as a plug and play setup for our cars? I'll happily become the guinea pig...Happy to pay a pre-agreed price - I just can't see myself doing anything other than melting my car again if I touch the wiring...
Old 05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Use the 55/60 bulbs and avoid the wiring/relay issue altogether. Yes they are not quite as bright, but, they spread plenty of light.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I've installed relays in both of my cars. Its not too hard, if you take your time. Its not a plug and play situation. You have to cut a few wires. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, what about talking to your favorite mechanic? Or if you want to take a road trip and bring your car up to me, I can help you install it if you gather the necessary wires/parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Though I love my mechanics - they do a great job...but...they are expensive...so maybe it's penny-wise and pound foolish, but I can only assume that either someone here is good at this stuff and wants to do it - or that someone here has been thinking about putting together a package and needs a little jiuce to start the ball rolling...

If not, then yeah, I'll give it a go at some point soon...I'm sure there is enough DIY info here for even me to figure it out...lol....
Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could probably make you up a relay set.... though I won't be able to for a couple of weeks... Business travel has me moving around a lot right now.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Tom - that would be awesome - let me know what you need from me and how much etc...Time isnt a worry - I need to have the trim rings painted before installing anyway- which won't be right away...
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've installed relays in both of my cars. Its not too hard, if you take your time. Its not a plug and play situation. You have to cut a few wires. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, what about talking to your favorite mechanic? Or if you want to take a road trip and bring your car up to me, I can help you install it if you gather the necessary wires/parts.
Could you tell me where you made the splice x 2?
thx.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked with Daniel Stern Lighting? He used to supply kits. I'd be making it from 4 standard relays with all the spaghetti worked out. You'd need to supply the mainline wiring from the battery etc within your car. I need to find some relays and then the cost would be whatever it takes to source the relays and a little bit of shipping... I'll try to figure it out.

Are you comfy following directions to do the basic connections?

Anyone else want a kit? If I'm going to do it, I might as well do more than one...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Have you checked with Daniel Stern Lighting? He used to supply kits. I'd be making it from 4 standard relays with all the spaghetti worked out. You'd need to supply the mainline wiring from the battery etc within your car. I need to find some relays and then the cost would be whatever it takes to source the relays and a little bit of shipping... I'll try to figure it out.

Are you comfy following directions to do the basic connections?

Anyone else want a kit? If I'm going to do it, I might as well do more than one...
Tom - I bought my parts from Daniel Stern. He provided the relays, relay sockets, spade connectors and H4 sockets. I purchased my wire locally from a local electronics hobbyist shop. His parts are very high quality.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by creaturecat
Could you tell me where you made the splice x 2?
thx.
Daniel Stern has a great diagram showing the revised schematic. You have to tap into the original harness to get the high and low beam power. The rest is connecting to the battery and ground. I also ran higher gauge wires from the relays to the headlight buckets. It took me a few hours to do once I had all of the parts on-hand.

No affiliations
Old 05-21-2012, 05:18 PM
Goughary
Race Car

yes - I am confortable following directions...Just set it up how you think best, and then tell me what to do and I'll get the rest done on my side re connections etc...Just get ready for some stupid questions once i get the stuff from you...lol...
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Daniel Stern has a great diagram showing the revised schematic. You have to tap into the original harness to get the high and low beam power. The rest is connecting to the battery and ground. I also ran higher gauge wires from the relays to the headlight buckets. It took me a few hours to do once I had all of the parts on-hand.

No affiliations
Thx Rob
I was curious about the actual physical location that you chose to splice the relays into the wiring harness. I can handle it easily from there.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:48 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just out of curiostiy, what is the reason to go to H4 headlamps?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:13 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Way better illumination than the H5's, even with the lower wattage bulbs.. Higher wattage bulbs certainly give out even more light if you choose, but this step requires a set of relays be installed to avoid overheating the existing wires (ergo this thread). The lower wattage bulbs work without the need for relays, but do limit your choice to 55/60. The H4's also look better IMO.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:46 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

i would love a kit so i am in. I often thought about the sucros kit for the other 911's and adapting it as they were only $25 or so but I am not sure I want to do the conversion without some better instructions for the 964 as is

Quick Reply: plug and play H4 wiring w relay - WTB