Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown engine dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW is the engine knocking at idle or just when in gear, driving? The reason I ask is that you mention stopping to tighten up the wheels. Perhaps there is a chance that the wheel vibration caused the drive shaft bolts to loosen and it's those that are knocking?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:32 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
.... If you were not happy with how he was driving, it is up to you to say so at the time.
Originally Posted by boxsey911
... On the presumption that he didn't make any mistakes (see other posts above) my guess is that the problem was already lurking beneath.
IMHO, this is your problem; not his.

First of all, you allowed him to drive your car and you allowed him to continue driving the car 'like he stole'. That's your responsibility.

Also, these cars are designed to be driven VERY, VERY hard. My guess is that you may not be aware of how hard these cars are designed to be driven if you are concerned with redline shifts. If the engine is damaged due to 'hard' driving, then it may not have been maintained properly (evidence: loose wheels; low oil); OR, it was inevitable that you would have experienced the damage sooner or later on your own.

Don't lose a friendship over this. Take the responsibility.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a tough one.

On one hand you let him drive the car. If you felt he was driving too aggressively why didn't you say anything?

On the other hand, what made him think he had the right to rag your car. I treat other peoples positions better than I would treat my own - in most cases better than they would. I would never drive someone else's car in anger.

If I was in his shoes I would have instinctively offered to pay for the repair and at this stage you should offer a contribution. If your both gentlemen about it - no love lost. Just my 2 pennies worth.

To the point: Was he a friend - what was his reaction to the knocking?

EDIT: Just read your second post, it's incredibly sad that he hasn't made any noises thus far to pay for any repairs. It's easy to be a friend when everything is alright - when something goes wrong that's when you realise who your friends really are. I'd personally be pretty damn disappointed if a friend didn't even make a noise to pay at least in part for the damage.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CBR786
he drove the car hard and I mean Hard like he was having a track day on the road. I have never drove my car as hard as he drove it. But he is a better driver then me he knows how to handle a car but it felt like we just did a bank job the way he drove !
Here's the thing--a lot of it is perception. The hardest I could ever imagine driving a car on the street is slower than a typical out lap on track. So even if you take the engine to redline, no big deal.

As far as hearing a "knock", you can't even entertain the concept of bottom end engine damage from hard acceleration. And even thought top end damage isn't going to manifest itself audibly in a "knock", how is that practically possible upshifting one of these cars?

Downshifting, sure. Do a 5-2, and lots of bad things will happen. You'll also likely lock up the rear wheels, and not really be going much further having probably lost all six cylinders worth of compression...............
Old 05-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

1) Find out what's wrong with the engine
2) Based on the findings, have a discussion with your friend, but don't lose a friendship over it because YOU let him drive it the way he did

BTW- Never share your wife or your car with anybody

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 05-14-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:25 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all settled .. nothing to do with your friend .. it is all your cost.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:40 AM
CBR786
Pro

update he has finally rang me and after a short discussion he has offered well agreed actually to pay 50% of all costs involved in getting original engine fixed or replacement engine if needed. The wheels were not loose at the stage of falling off. I just swapped some rims around a few days ago and some nuts were slightly loose on front assembly car is C2.

The oil was not low as dipstick was showing half. I think it is only 0.5 litre between half and full mark on dipstick or I might be wrong here. But I always carry oil with me and when we noticed it was half we topped up with 0.5 litre oil from the 1 litre tub I carry.

It was 2 am in the morning the road was ours no cars or people around we were driving in a industrial estate area of town all businesses was closed.
he might have missed a gear I am not sure all I recall was being thrown about in the passenger seat and being amazed at the cornering and handling of what is relatively a stock car. he did a lot of 0-60 and then some and hard braking etc. I did not wish to slow him down as he drives his own honda type R at silly speeds and does similar to what he was doing to my car. I did not want to come across as a moaner or start being like a old fuddy duddy lol. We are young (well in our late thirty something) and he has a lot of track time experience so I let him get on with it. I guess it was the right outcome or have I just robbed my mate lol. The short of it is he is happy to pay and I am happy that it is not only the money side of the issue but principal at the end of the day he has did the right thing. I would have felt he is taking a liberty if he just went silent on me.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:02 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really tricky one, it sounds like you have a good friend there!

If he'd crashed it I'd say he should bare the costs, but engine damage... as racer911 and others say, its hard to conceive of him actually doing the damage, more likely he hastened damage that was already "in the post".

If it was his Type R and you blew the engine up, 50% of a new s/h engine might be a few hundred quid. While you don't know yet what the damage really us, its not unlikely with the 964 50% could run to thousands even to fit a s/h engine, let alone a rebuild, he may not be aware of that.

As you say the main thing is that he's shown his willing to do the right thing, I'd maybe just ask him to pay for the diagnosis and leave it at that.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 PM
swaini
Instructor

objects come and go, friends(true ones) are a rare commodity, he did the right thing.
good luck with the diagnosis/repair/replacement.

when i let any of my friends drive my car ( very very very rarely, and thats a luxury offered only to those that have porsches) i expect the worst, and start to mentally calculate the what ifs... i wouldn't ask them to shell out if anything went wrong on a 20 yr old sports car that was driven the way it was designed for.. making sure it will perform is my responsibility as the owner.

Quick Reply: blown engine dilemma