Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastener kit? What makes a good selection?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but then you can point at the car and say "Nut and Bolt restoration!!"
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with others that for most things it's best to get Porsche original. Sometimes you will be surprised e.g. the plastic 10 mm nuts only cost pennies. Sometimes you will be astonished e.g. the captive nuts used on the cat heat shields are £6 each!

Saying that I've built up a set of self tappers, J clips, U clips etc which I find very useful to replace the rusty ones:

Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, what exactly is pictured above and where did you source them? From what everyone has posted it is really just the general self tapping screws/u-clips and trim bracket bolts etc. that can be replaced safely with non-OE items. I would be happy enough to just have those and be able to replace all the tatty/rusted pieces as I work my way through various maintenance jobs.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:12 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
Steve, what exactly is pictured above and where did you source them? From what everyone has posted it is really just the general self tapping screws/u-clips and trim bracket bolts etc. that can be replaced safely with non-OE items. I would be happy enough to just have those and be able to replace all the tatty/rusted pieces as I work my way through various maintenance jobs.
Bottom right and middle far right are 'wing bolts and clips'. These are very useful for replacing fasteners for bumper stays and heat shields. I got them from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-mil-Acm...item3a713988a0

Middle left to right are assorted spire clips to take various size self tappers. Similar ones are here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPIRE-CLIP...item5642ab3607

Bottom left are assorted black pan head self tappers. These are very useful with spire clips for the wheel arch liners. I got them here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assortment...item43ab2a3ee8

Top left are just M10 nuts and bolts (8.8) that are used for the cat flange.

Nb. While some of these screw/clip combinations can be used to replace existing ones, I don't use them where there is a 'special' Porsche type of fastener e.g. the screws for the fuel pump cover are specific types of screw/bolts.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve, very helpful. I will add a few bits and pieces to my toolbox.

Quick Reply: Fastener kit? What makes a good selection?