Sponsored by:

No spark Monday

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No spark Monday

well, I've narrowed it down to not getting any power to my coils. I put a meter on the coils and I get a big flat zero volts to both coils. I put 2 different DME relays in, and same thing. I did not try the jumper, but I'll try that tonight unless someone has a better idea.

I've tried to get what I believe is the immobilizer module out of the front fpassenger (LHD) fender with no luck. No one seems to be able to get their hand in there and pull the damn module off the posts. If I have the right thing, anyway. I see a black box sticking out horizontally off the fender wall, not the dash/bonnet fire wall.

I did however find a vacuum hose that connects to the air intake/resonance flap was off, so I put that back on. Still no spark

So, how was your weekend?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Sorry I'm not able to help on the immobilizer side.

Had a good weekend. Saturday, I took it easy. Sunday, went to the local PCA social event for cars and coffee. We had a good turn out. 2 964's, a 911 Carrera, 4 356's, a Pantera, a 240Z, a BMC CSL, an NSX, a Cayman and a GT3. The highlight for me was talking to someone who had a bolt-in roll bar in their 964. I've been planning to get one and it was good to discuss what was involved. Afterwards, had lunch with friends and checked out a local art show. When we got home, helped my GF in planting some new shrubs/plants. My duty was hole digging and carrying the plants. She's the one with the green thumb.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
hawk911
Race Car

We spent Saturday night out of town at a B&B in lovely Cedarburg, WI. The place was a hotel from the 1880s. Had a great dinner, watch a movie in an older theater, then back to the room Sunday was spent trying to mow the grass and get all the previous clippings from the previous cut off the grass. Had the mower in to get a tuneup and starting issue so it got real long. The borrowed mower didn't have a bagger. I got 90% done and the rain came down, so I had to stop.

Last edited by hawk911; 05-07-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear the p-car still isn't firing up, but at least your getting closer!

Friday night, we were without all 3 kids, who all had parties/sleepovers at friends houses, which I never remember happening before. The wife and I went to a concert (Arctic Monkeys/Black keys) at the Oracle Arena, then went dancing in San Francisco and ended up eating dinner at around 2am at the only chinese resturaunt still open. I think we were the oldest people at both venues. Felt very strange going out on a Friday without the kids, I must say, but it was nice to spend time with my lovely wife and relive our youth a little..

Saturday, I felt pretty groggy but had to be in San Jose for a kids party at the zoo. We only had 2 kids back, so drove the 996 down 280 which made the trip far more enjoyable.

Sunday was spend doing yard work and washing the bugs off the porsche. I meant to take the door panel off to fix the microswitch (after garrett provided a typically excellent custom fix) but it just got too late and I was ready for a beer and sat down to watch the Man. Utd game I had recorded earlier.

Looking forward to some nice weather in Northern California this week and lots of top-down driving!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM
9six4
Racer

I did a dyno day with a few other Rennlisters on Sunday. I was a decade older (the car too) and the only air cooled there. A fun day and good to see that after 22 years the car still has lots of power.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Felt like a looong weekend... and Monday in Portland is actually sunny and nice.. a rare event.

First: Hawk.. hang in there man... you're learning a lot about your car...

Thursday was a tiny concert (6 people) with a singer-songwriter, Pete Krebs
Friday was a very strange benefit concert but I discovered I want to be a fire-breather. I have signed up for lessons.
Saturday was a Burlesque event, with the local pros... (Portland is a huge Burlesque town... lots of respect for it here) - got to meet some of the 'competition'...
Sunday was dinner with the family... and I indulged in some retail therapy at the local winery. I scored a sequential vintage from 1994 -> 2000 in their Estate Pinots.... the first three bottles are no longer available at ALL..
So it was pretty cool. I plan a very large dinner party for that later.

The P-car's battery was dead, so it spent the weekend on 2V. I drove it in to work today. I need a battery tender.

So in all, a weekend full of #firstworldproblems. :-)
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Never judge a book by it's cover

I mentioned the local cars & coffee in the Friday post, but forgot to mention the most interesting grandmother I have ever met. This older woman mentioned she was in the area from California, to help her son with the grand kids this week. Assuming she was bored out of her mind at the C&C, I struck up a conversation to see if she had any interest in cars.

Turns out she knows a thing or two about classic cars and one of the cars she restored (late 50's MB, twice! once in the 70s and again in the 90s) is now "back home" and proudly featured at the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

TomB, $50 you can't go wrong.
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It was 93+ degrees here this weekend so the 964 stayed in the garage. Spent yesterday morning out riding around on my tractor doing some bush hogging. Grass hasnt grown much as it doesnt seem to rain in Floridaanymore but wheeling the old tractor around is still fun.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:03 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Does your fuel pump run? If you don't have both fuel & spark, you might want to check your flywheel speed sensor.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

hawk I am in Racine on wednesday and thursday mornings until approx 2 are you around at that time? I could stop by and help out.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
hawk911
Race Car

I am.... I work from home. Usually Thursday and Friday.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Any update on the car Geoff?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
hawk911
Race Car

nope- got stuck trying to get the seat out and have a good look at what's under the passenger seat. I can already see a bottle opener and bottle cap... who knows what else might be contaminating the field
Old 05-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I admire the persistence - this is the time I'd probably start to give-up and call my mech! Looking forward to hearing its been resolved. Cheers mate, --H
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 PM
hawk911
Race Car

i have another week to try stuff myself before it goes in. He's booked up until the 19th.

did I mention I'm a CHEAP bastard?

Last edited by hawk911; 05-10-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply: No spark Monday