964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Engine failure - need suggestions!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 964 Engine failure - need suggestions!

After 144k miles, my stock 3.6L let go while doing a DE last weekend. The motor is destroyed, including a cracked case. I don't have all of the details yet, but looks like a rod bolt may have let go.

Over the last couple of years, I have been slowly adding some track goodies (mostly safety equipment) and using the car primarily for DEs. I like to participate in about 10+ days / year of DE.

The car has a brand new RS clutch/flywheel (<100 miles on it), RS motor mounts, H&R Springs, seats, BK Harness Bar, and harnesses - all installed within the last few months. The car is very clean, straight, no accidents, etc...

So now I am faced with some decisions, and would like to solicit some recommendations. I am definitely going to continue to do DEs, so that is really the only requirement. Some options that have been presented to me are:

1. Buy a reman or used motor, slap it in, and go for it...
2. Build a motor from pieces, a little stronger, for track use.
3. Ditch the car as, is, without the motor and get something else (like a Cayman, or 996GT3)

I'm trying to keep an open mind, so any suggestions will be appreciated. What do you guys think???

Thanks,
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Kai just built what looks like a great motor... so option 2 if I had the $$
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1^... do yourself a favor and have a conversation with Steve at Rennsport 503 244 0990

He's got a lot of options that can get you a ton of enjoyment out of your motor... a rebuild can be a great occasion to really do it up right. Kai's motor build is a platform for a number of streetable options that you can choose from. You don't have to spend the same kind of money to really get some performance.

At least you'll have data to inform your decision.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear this. My C2 motor failed last year and I was gutted.

I looked at getting a used motor and swapping it out, but after weighing the costs and getting invaluable input from some great people on the board, I decided that the cost was still close to a rebuild and I would still have the risks of an unknown, high mileage engine AFTER I had paid the bill. I found a highly respected rebuilder locally who believed they could do the work quickly and far below the initial quotes I had gotten (apart from the ones by motormeister of course, but after the professional and first hand stories I received, I wouldnt allow them to change my oil).

I'd shop around on rebuilds or rebuilt motors and weigh the cost against the other options before making a final decision.

Good luck - I feel your pain.

All the best,

--Howard
Old 05-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 394 Likes on 261 Posts

Rebuild. You'll know exactly what you have and your cost will be same or less than buying another motor and certainly less than buying a cayman or a gt3. If you are going to track a car, you should already have in mind that costs for damage and maintenance will pile up. Just keep rebuilding and having fun.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

If you have done the case, crank and the rest of the bottom end, part out the top end of the motor and buy a used engine to replace it because it is going to work out cheaper than sourcing the new parts to repair what you have. Once you find a new engine, then make the decision to rebuild it or fit it, depending on available budget and perceived risk from the vendor.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You have a PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 489 Posts

#2 - because you'll know exactly what you have
#3 - not an option because financially you'll get hosed.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
If you have done the case, crank and the rest of the bottom end, part out the top end of the motor and buy a used engine to replace it because it is going to work out cheaper than sourcing the new parts to repair what you have. Once you find a new engine, then make the decision to rebuild it or fit it, depending on available budget and perceived risk from the vendor.
+1

These motor failure threads are depressing
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ja78911sc
These motor failure threads are depressing
Especially when your own is still fresh in the memory!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

And when our local DE season is about to start....
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks.

Opt. 2

Get a used motor and build to the purpose it's going to serve.

Stock rod bolts are a known weak link for DE and track use. There are alternate options over the stock bolts.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bite the bullet; call Steve right now and go over options. Do your best to remain on budget, but many cool options are out there now - some weren't aval a year ago.

If you see Club Racing in the future, be very careful about your build if you want to run in stock classes - otherwise you'll end up in GT (and can come play with us!!!)

Edit to add: The 964 is a wonderful platform, and if, like most of us, yer heart is in the car...this is the right choice for so very many reasons.

The new cars are just not as robust - and damn sure not as sexy.

Last edited by KaiB; 05-02-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 AM
LI Steve
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and responses. Especially Kai - thanks for the call yesterday - I really appreciate your time and perspective!

I know most people mentioned to 'stay on budget' - the issue is that this was not budgeted, so my budget is equal to the least amount of $ that will get me on the track "reliably"... Don't want to be in this same boat in another two years.

I was leaning towards #2, and it looks like it is pretty much unanimous. So I did call Steve W yesterday. Great guy and very helpful. Spent a lot of time with me going over a lot of what is involved with a build. He is going to get back to me with an option or two.

Looks like this might be a long road - guess I am going to have to put one of the 928s into DE duty, at least for The Glen this month...

Thanks again, and if anyone has any more input, I am all ears!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
James Achard
Pro

Steve, You might also want to call Dan Jacobs in Oxford, CT. He is local to you and has done some excellent work on these engines.

Cheers, James

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 Engine failure - need suggestions!