D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on stainless engine tin
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not sure that stainless is the best option for cost of materials and labor as it it takes allot more time to properly bend and shape stainless but I can look at it once I know how much the sheet metal is and can better gauge what pieces really are the issue. I thought that powder coating would be a nice alternative? What pieces is everyone experiencing the rust through on? just the sides by the valve covers or the back above the muffler? both?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mb911
I am not sure that stainless is the best option for cost of materials and labor as it it takes allot more time to properly bend and shape stainless but I can look at it once I know how much the sheet metal is and can better gauge what pieces really are the issue. I thought that powder coating would be a nice alternative? What pieces is everyone experiencing the rust through on? just the sides by the valve covers or the back above the muffler? both?
Mine tin rusted through near the crank position sensor (front left of engine). I replaced that piece and had everything powder coated. Its holding up well so far (2 years ago).
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
mb911
Pro

ok just looked it up it looks like the 2 sides by the valve covers are $270 each and the rear most piece above the muffler is $704.

The 2 sides I could see as fairly straight forward and could be done and I can see them being made and powder coated for $125 each easy enough but just a guess it may be cheaper depending on time invested the back I could see for about $350 again just a guess as this would need to be hand fabricated as these are formed pieces with expensive dies but I would not invest that much in tooling so it would have to be hand fabricated = time but still can do better on pricing I need samples without disabling my car so anyone want to send me sample and we can make one set for trial?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

+1 on stainless engine tins.

Also Stainless exhaust hardward since what porsche supplies is expensive and their nuts spin in the holders...Steel speednuts are easy to find, but something simple in stainless put together as a kit would be great.

Also - there is a bronze bushing kit for the 930 pedal box, but no bronze bushing upgrade kit for the 964 pedal box. I'd like to see that as well.

Valve Covers - in the lower end price range, Hargett Covers are great. But, they arent well finished, which is why they have a lower cost than say, eagle day or OEM. but valve covers, well finished at a lower cost would be good.

Plug wire kits. Full sett of plug wires, there has to be a way to do it cheeper.

Accelerometers - Crazy expensive, and there has to be a way to use the original housing and upgrade the insides.

Here's one - the Crank Damper - noone would make a penny making a new damper - thats for sure - but the thing is REDICULOUSLY expensive for what it is....

Oem copies of the RS Splitter for the front, in a simple to mount form, in plastic rather than fiberglass.

+1 on the spoiler wall

Bebuild kit for the spoiler drive (basically glue and a bearing with instructions)

Concave alluminum wheel center caps for cup 1 wheels that dont have a porsche logo (flat isn't ideal, and how many times do you need to see the badge or porsche name on the same car - the shape is already patented...)

New Door cards made out of a waterproof material, pre cut to size and drilled/ready for upholstery and install. Sierra madre sells a cardboard set for the 930, which can be used, but long term, they are cardboard, not even remotely water resistent, and flimsy. also need to be cut/modified for use in the 964

H4 Headlight kit, with a plug and play wiring upgrade so you dont need to be an electrician to install higher wattage bulbs

There is a new stainless higher flow cat around - Babalouie installed one - but as you saw, he had issues cuz it didn't fit per stock...uhmmmm - someone should make one that bolts in...duhhhh

I could go on all day...I like the concept - I agree it's always tough to make niche market parts, etc, but I am all for the enterprise and I am in for most things if they are made well, solve a problem I have, or resovle a future issue...Stainless engine tins? +1000. I dont like rust anywhere....

Oh - here's one - if you look into the brakes in our car - the ABS system can be upgraded too, examples are few on the list, but most recent was the 9m build thread...no need to go "that" far, but a plug a play kit to upgrade the brake system could be great. (so potenially using the 996 abs, new master cylinder, and then have new bias valve, (opitional for stock callipers and for bigger calipers) pedal box bushing kit etc all in one package, maybe even with upgraded accelerometers...I'd be first in line - I think alot of people would like to upgrade the braking system, but wouldn't do it unless they had a package and instructions. Kind of a daunting task for most, outside of just sticking new calipers on)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
mb911
Pro

Ok so let me ask it is $2k for all new sheet metal from the factory what would stainless set be worth to the folks if I could produce it in stainless in a fabricated form not stamped Would be worth lets say 1k? or is everyone thinking $500? I could see doing mild steel maybe for $750 for all the pieces but again I dont have a spare set to play with. I would like to make up 1 sample for people to see and do a time study and go from there how does that sound?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

no reason to do them in steel - I dont think- cuz you can buy used and have them powder coated (which is what I recently did) for less than what you can make yours for -

I would be interested in stainless set, but you'd have to show the prototype and it would have to be fitted and tested and shown to work and no rattle around etc...Not an easy task I know, but would be a good product if it were done right...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM
mb911
Pro

Again just guessing on price I dont think I would have more then $65 in steel and probably Twice that in Stainless it would be all labor so depending on how long it would take would be the key is the time study and then figure out if made sense I think it would take once all the parts were cut and bent about 1 hour to do any welding and and blending if need be and probably 3 hours of fab so total of 4 hours and a cost of the stainless it could be $500 but again all guesses with out doing a sample set. any one in to share some extra sheet metal for a sample set?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
The power window switches could use some improvement. I have replaced several on both of my cars. The replacement parts are inexpensive but don't last like they should.
YES!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I am SO sick of these things falling apart in my and my passenger's hands. My wife loves the car but is under the mistaken mipression it is 'fragile' because the switch fell apart in her hand one day, and left the window stuck up on a beautiful day...
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 PM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on all above, although the front blowers get my pulse going every time i hear that squeal then swallow and breathe in when i remember the ca. $800 price tag for EACH side. boot and hood hinges don't last long in my opinion either. my 2 cents
Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Mr.Spacely
Instructor

Hall sensor. Not a fab part, more of a molded part though.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Bit more difficult to fabricate but rear lights even the new ones (if you can get them) are a bit pink and let in water.

DME relay.

+1 on the tinware as a good place to start.

Maybe I should start mass production of my rear bumper support.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 427 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Power window switches

I bought a (2)off eBay that is not identifiable as non OEM for $12. Ea and they work perfectly...

QUOTE=ChaseN;9478451]YES!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I am SO sick of these things falling apart in my and my passenger's hands. My wife loves the car but is under the mistaken mipression it is 'fragile' because the switch fell apart in her hand one day, and left the window stuck up on a beautiful day...[/QUOTE]
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
John Rygg
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 and the dumb little brass gear in the latching motor that breaks its teeth

Originally Posted by Laker
The Cabs have an ultra expensive roof support bows that snap when strained. (over $1500 new each side) 911-561-927-00-70B (Left) and 911-561-928-00-70B (Right)

The other parts that come to mind are the heating servos and C4 Differential locks, but these have electrical components inside as well.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
I bought a (2)off eBay that is not identifiable as non OEM for $12. Ea and they work perfectly...

QUOTE=ChaseN;9478451]YES!!!! PLEASE!!!!

I am SO sick of these things falling apart in my and my passenger's hands. My wife loves the car but is under the mistaken mipression it is 'fragile' because the switch fell apart in her hand one day, and left the window stuck up on a beautiful day...
[/QUOTE]

Those are the ones I replaced my broken ones with last time, and they are falling apart even quicker than OEM

Quick Reply: 964 and 993 hard to find parts ideas