Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scantool Software and interface device highly recommended!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:56 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Scantool Software and interface device highly recommended!

I recently ordered a T-OBD Scantool interface device from Rennlist member ToreB. From what I understand the circuit and the free Scantool Software were developed by Rennlist members. The software and interface are great! Thanks guys!

By coincidence the airbag warning lamp illuminated the same day that my interface arrived. Four years ago my son had to take the car to the dealership to have the code reset and the warning lamp turned off. This time I cleared the code with a mouse click and the warning lamp is no longer illuminated. The interface paid for itself!

I bought mine from ToreB. RicardoD also sells an interface. I recommend this to every 964 owner.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 PM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
I recently ordered a T-OBD Scantool interface device from Rennlist member ToreB. From what I understand the circuit and the free Scantool Software were developed by Rennlist members. The software and interface are great! Thanks guys!

By coincidence the airbag warning lamp illuminated the same day that my interface arrived. Four years ago my son had to take the car to the dealership to have the code reset and the warning lamp turned off. This time I cleared the code with a mouse click and the warning lamp is no longer illuminated. The interface paid for itself!

I bought mine from ToreB. RicardoD also sells an interface. I recommend this to every 964 owner.
Using T-obd interface too. Works great in DME. Connected to CCU successful occasionally. Never success connected to ABS system. With adaption function is great after disconnect battery.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too! Bought Tore's system and very happy with it. He help me resolve some initial set up problems efficiently (read "user error") and it's working perfectly.

I would highly recommend it too.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that Ricardo and I are done building/selling ours, we recommend Tore's system as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Using T-obd interface too. Works great in DME. Connected to CCU successful occasionally. Never success connected to ABS system. With adaption function is great after disconnect battery.
I have the exact same experience using Tom & Ricardo's interface so this tells me the issue most likely lies with our cars. I wonder why the CCU connection is sporadically successful and the ABS connection is never successful?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
mb911
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah still working on getting mine to hook up crazy how that is
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kylejohnston1
.................... ABS connection is never successful?
I seem to remember it never was set up to read the ABS as there is nothing to connect to on the 964.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

How do we buy one?

RK
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM
f3nr15
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC, Adrian (Streather) talks about a completely separate Bosch device used to check the ABS faults - I can't quite recall if its the same port for the interface, or something separate. Will have to have a read when I get home...
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
How do we buy one?

RK
You can buy them through Tore's Website (and also download the Scantool software) here
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f3nr15
IIRC, Adrian (Streather) talks about a completely separate Bosch device used to check the ABS faults - I can't quite recall if its the same port for the interface, or something separate. Will have to have a read when I get home...
Please, thank you.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looking at Adrian's book, he says that the Hammer can only read the fault memory of the ABS control unit - ie it'll just say that there is a problem with the ABS system, but not what's causing the problem.

He says that to troubleshoot the ABS system you need a Bosch ABS 2-LED tester with the correct 35 pin adapter cable (part number KDAS 0001) for all 964 except the C4. For the C4 you need a 55 pin adapter cable (part number KDAS 0003).

Both of these either connect to the ABS or PDAS control units and not the usual plug that the Hammer connects to.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Smesh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm going to order one but I guess I have to use PC? I have a Mac but it's almost worth buying a netbook or something just to use the tool and no longer be at the mercy of the dealers/garages. I have a Landrover Discovery II (2nd one) and having a scantool was the best investment I ever made. I think owning a Porsche will be the same experience.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:04 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 240 Posts

The Scantool software is made for Windows operating system only. A couple of my customers successfully are running Windows virtual machines in a Mac using WMWare. I would guess that would require some expreience.
Cheers,
Tore

Quick Reply: Scantool Software and interface device highly recommended!