Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Door Rattle Help...Pics Included

All,

I have developed a door rattle that is driving me nuts, so I pulled the door panel to see if I can figure out the cause. The symptoms are that the rattle is there when the window is closed, but louder with the window partly open.

The rattle is coming from one of the pins/rollers that is part of the window lifter...Series of pictures to help understand what I'm talking about.

The question is how to fix the rattle as there doesn't seem to be any way to tighten the pin/roller. I can think of some creative ways to insulate the pin from the metal track and/or roller, but there has got to be a more professional approach to addressing these kinds of issues.

Thanks everyone,

-Skip
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give all your creative ways a shot. If immediate or future failure throw in the towel & replace. That area has pivoted (functioned) under load God knows how many times in the last 20 years that it might just be the end of its "non-rattly" life. Big help, Eh?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dose of grease not to sticky to help it stop moving so much in its track and try to crimp the track where the roller sits so it makes up for the wear on the 20 year old plastic roller....

Give it a go first with the grease & try it up&down then if not try the crimp method but make sure there's no tight spots going all the way up& down

If still no luck I think new parts fella!!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
dryheat
Advanced

I wish I had taken a photo from when I fixed mine. There is an allen head bolt that allows for an obvious adjustment of a bracket in that area...I am sorry but without taking my door apart, I can't remember any more than that. Regardless, I think it was pretty obvious. I adjusted mine by about an 1/8 of an inch...problem resolved about 3 years ago.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

swftiii: let us know if the head of that "pin" has an Allen wrench recess in it, and tightening it up resolved the issue. THANX.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All,

Thanks for the comments - I'll give the grease and crimping a shot along with the adjustment 'dryheat' is talking about. The pin doesn't have an allen head, but there is an allen adjustment screw that is too small to notice in in the first 2 pictures, but I know what you are talking about 'dryheat'.

Fun stuff tonight.

-Skip
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The adjustment is really for making the glass square in the run channel.

I just had my door all apart (i mean stripped down bare) so I do know it intimately. Who'd ever thunk there would be 3 billion parts inside a 964 door. Its 78 steps in the manul to take it apart and 78 to put it back together and it has to be in just the right sequence.

At the end of the day, it's probably a "new regulator" cure.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I think a big part of the rattle I had was a disintegrated metal/felt scraper seal. You know, the $100 one.

I'm now running the sport/lightweight scraper seal delete.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, I know that one. I just replaced mine when I took the door apart. The old one just fell apart.

Quick Reply: Door Rattle Help...Pics Included