Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy Friday - Dodged a bullet - Plans for the weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Happy Friday - Dodged a bullet - Plans for the weekend?

For the past few weeks, I've been driving my cabrio after a 2 year hiatus. Its been a real pleasure except the steering has felt a bit loose. Last weekend, I jacked up the car, expecting to need to install new tie rod ends. But upon inspection the tie rods looked fine and tight. But I could still feel slop in the steering wheel. It would move about 2 minutes if it was a clock. I then checked the rack to make sure it was tight. It was. Hmm... Next we pulled the floor board to inspect the steering column universals. Aha! The lower universal joint bolt had backed off. It was 1-2mm loose. I removed the bolt, cleaned the threads with a die and reinstalled it with red locktite and a torque wrench. The steering is as good as new. I'm glad it was a simple fix. Its a bit scary to think what would happen if the bolt fell out and the shaft separated while driving. Eek!

This weekend, I will be troubleshooting why my fog & backup lights don't work. The fuse blows as soon as I turn on the key to accessories. I suspect its a fault at the backup light switch. I also need to figure out why my GF's Honda has left two small puddles of coolant on the garage floor. I suspect the car may need new radiator hoses. I'm hoping its not a bad radiator.

My GF is taking me to California for 9 days for my 50th birthday. We will be starting in SF visiting Alcatraz and the trolleys. Then the redwoods and a winery. We will be staying with friends while in the Bay area. After a few days, we start driving down Pacific Coast Highway visiting Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Vandenberg AFB and Santa Barbara. I'm looking forward to it.

What are your plans for the weekend?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a new engine put in my airplane and am going to pick it up today. We'll then fly to my parents for Easter. Been without the plane for 8 weeks.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What on earth caused the 2 year hiatus?
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the way I'm going about fixing my car it might be 2 yrs.... ugh.

no Porsche plans for the weekend as my wife bought a new desk that needs to be assembled.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jody stowitts
What on earth caused the 2 year hiatus?
Why a 2 year delay? I had made an error replacing the alternator where I hooked up the wires backwards. It burned the wire harness. I was trying to decide if I was going to repair or sell. Meanwhile, I was driving my coupe. In the end, I decided to rebuild the engine but am doing a bit of shuffling. I took the engine from the coupe and installed it in the cabrio. I am in the process of rebuilding the engine with some mods to make a better track car including LWF, RS cams, a SW chip and j-pipe. I have purchased a used wire harness for the rebuilt motor.

While I'm at it, my GF suggested that I should get some track seats and a roll bar. I purchased some used GT3 seats. They arrived yesterday. I'm heading down the slippery slope on the coupe.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

^^^ Exactly my fear. Glad it didn't happen to me.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

"While I'm at it, my GF suggested that I should get some track seats and a roll bar. "

Does she have a sister?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
"While I'm at it, my GF suggested that I should get some track seats and a roll bar. "

Does she have a sister?
Sorry, she's an only child.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

steering wheel -> Ayrton Senna
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yard work. Car work. GF work. I thought work ended on Friday?

Rob, if you haven't been down the PCH before, it's a beautiful drive. All of the places you're going to hit on the way down south have gorgeous views! Hope you have a great birthday!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

I've been on PCH a few time but its been over 10 years. The GF has never been south of SF.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:34 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocket Rob: Speaking as an ex California surf rat, slippery slope are the ONLY way to go! Fret not though, the greatest # of slippery slopes of your type do ultimately end in success. Replacing that wire harness does NOT sound like fun. My condolences.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Started the search for a replacement TIP! A little history for those that have not read some of my recent posts: rebuilt the engine and mated it up to the TIP. When I installed it and fired it up, I had absolutely no power to the drivetrain. Last week I pulled everything out.....again!

Pulled the engine and I split the trans mission and torque converter to have a look/see.

Well in the shaft where the torque converter mates to the TIP, I found bits and pieces of what used to be the shaft key. The race is scored and I can't even tell if the fluid pump works.

So now, I won't even bother to attempt a repair because I can't be sure if any metal migrated into the the torque converter or even the TIP.

DC Auto & LA Dismanteler both have replacements so I will likely pull the trigger on Monday.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 AM
9six4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got the car on the road after a valve adjustment, plug change and brake overhaul. Bedded in track pads yesterday, love the bite and newly acquired stopping power!

Quick Reply: Happy Friday - Dodged a bullet - Plans for the weekend?