Sponsored by:

Fitting of new rear spoiler wall/curtain to 1990 C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Fitting of new rear spoiler wall/curtain to 1990 C4

I was told recently that my spoiler wall was either missing or split, so checked it and it was split. I ordered a new one from Porscheshop as they offered a 5% discount to PCGB members. On unpacking it I noticed that it was part number 993.512.121.00 and probably compatible with my car. I tried fitting it a couple of days later with the spoiler on the car but only 3/4 raised as recommended on the Rennlist forum. For the life of me I couldn't get the top to click in on to the spoiler and so I thought I might as well take the spoiler off, as it only had 4 allen headed fixings holding it on. I tried but couldn't again get it to click in as it should do.
At this point I decided to measure the slot on the new spoiler wall and found it to be around 3.2mm. I checked the thickness of the spoiler where the wall would fit on and found it to be around 2.6mm. So there was no way that this new wall would stay in place at all. Porscheshop said it was the correct part as the 964 part was superseded by the 993 part. I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and what they did to correct it? I have seen advertised a 964/993 rear spoiler 'seal' and was thinkong that this could be what I need? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 PM
RacinToday
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just know this: Mine won't click on either. Tried numerous times. Greased it. Left in out in sun to make it more flexible. Nothing. Got mine from Sunset.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi, first make sure you are trying to snap on the right side of the curtain in this picture. You can see the barb on the lower right of the curtain channel that grabs onto the spoiler. You can squeeze where my hand is, to some extent to get the channel to open and close a little which helps it form a good tight fit with the spoiler's inside ledge.
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks so far for the replies. However on a closer inspection of the old strip that I took off the spoiler as compared to the new wall - it's never going to click on because the new wall's barb isn't as pronounced as the old one and also the slot that fits on to the spoiler IS wider than what it fits on to! I am going to send it back and get my money back as without " bodging " things, it is NEVER going to click on. In the meantime I will try to patch up the old wall with tape etc. as I know I will be able to click the top in place. At least I'll be able to drive the car!! Brian. P.S. I'll make another post when I fix it for sure!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:44 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

it might to put a few pics up showing where you think you have the problem
Old 04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Too late, I have sent the part back for a full refund, but I did compare the end profile of both the old top strip and the new part. The barb on the new part wasn't as long as the old strip and the gap was wider anyway, so it would never stay on. I could get it on to the spoiler all the way along, but it kept dropping off. It was bowed anyway which didn't help matters at all. It was a genuine Porsche part but must have been a rogue item. I told the Porscheshop guy to try fitting it to a 964 when he gets it back and he'll see what I mean. I'm disappointed at the very least and will repair the old wall for now, at least I will be able to drive the car until I get one that sticks on. Adios for now. Brian
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
polar964
Racer

Bri, perhaps its worth checking/ordering at the main dealer.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:10 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

and you get a 10% discount for being a pcgb member from an OPC
Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Merle
Racer

I recently replaced this part and after cussing and sweating and cussing some more for an hour, I ended up pulling the spoiler off and had to actually get behind the part that snaps on to the spoiler with a blunt steel chisel and work it on. It snaps on very positively and there was no way in hell it would have ever snapped on with my hand pressure alone no matter how much lubricant,cussing sweating or stomping up and done I could have done.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
oldporsche
Intermediate

I got the part from my Porsche Dealer. They ordered it. Snapped on. 15 min job.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 AM
Merle
Racer

Originally Posted by oldporsche
I got the part from my Porsche Dealer. They ordered it. Snapped on. 15 min job.
Must be a few different manufacturers then.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Merle
I recently replaced this part and after cussing and sweating and cussing some more for an hour, I ended up pulling the spoiler off and had to actually get behind the part that snaps on to the spoiler with a blunt steel chisel and work it on. It snaps on very positively and there was no way in hell it would have ever snapped on with my hand pressure alone no matter how much lubricant,cussing sweating or stomping up and done I could have done.
My experience was similar. It took a LOT of force to get just the corner started, and it popped on with an audible SNAP that you could heat 20ft away!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

I hope the next one I get snaps on in the same way as yours. In the meantime I have repaired the old spoiler wall as there was a only a one inch strip missing, so I used some 4 inch wide black sticky tape to bridge the gap and put a piece the other side to reinforce it and put it back on and it looks fine. Not sure how long it might last, I might get another one that fits and keep using the repaired one just to see. Bye for now. Brian
Old 01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
I hope the next one I get snaps on in the same way as yours. In the meantime I have repaired the old spoiler wall as there was a only a one inch strip missing, so I used some 4 inch wide black sticky tape to bridge the gap and put a piece the other side to reinforce it and put it back on and it looks fine. Not sure how long it might last, I might get another one that fits and keep using the repaired one just to see. Bye for now. Brian
so did the tape job work/last Brian?? any other solutions - seems the curtain will take alot of strain considering the frequency of movement.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Have you had your refund yet?

Quick Reply: Fitting of new rear spoiler wall/curtain to 1990 C4