Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

playing with some 5 spoke 18s - colour suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow they look great Doc! What tyres are planned?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I was going to cheap out and go with falken 452s but I've just done a couple of hundred motorway miles in the Skyline (on brand new 452s) in semi monsoon conditions and it was pretty dicey, not sure any tyre made would have excelled in those conditions though tbh, I think I passed 5 crashes yoink! And I was basically reminded that we live in a temperate maritime climate and it WILL rain like a bastard for half the year.

So maybe leaning towards the good old continental sport contacts which are about as good as you get from a sporty tyre in the wet.... I don't know, lol , I'll definitely make my mind up at some point.....
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alexjc4
Well, I was going to cheap out and go with falken 452s but I've just done a couple of hundred motorway miles in the Skyline (on brand new 452s) in semi monsoon conditions and it was pretty dicey, not sure any tyre made would have excelled in those conditions though tbh, I think I passed 5 crashes yoink! And I was basically reminded that we live in a temperate maritime climate and it WILL rain like a bastard for half the year.

So maybe leaning towards the good old continental sport contacts which are about as good as you get from a sporty tyre in the wet.... I don't know, lol , I'll definitely make my mind up at some point.....
Alex, Ive got Falkens on

Turn to jelly after 4 laps of Spa , but no issues on the road at all

For the money, they are brilliant, IMO
Old 04-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alexjc4

+1 keep the cash for some trackish rubber for the Cup1's... roomer has it 17s are a better wheel for track and I just don't listen
Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM
B. Elliott
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No stray too off topic, but Car and Driver had a neat article a couple of years ago about the effect of wheel sizes. Sure, they can't account for all variations, but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex...just wondering...are you going to let someone else mount your tires on those beautiful wheels, or will you do it yourself?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Laguna Seca
Alex...just wondering...are you going to let someone else mount your tires on those beautiful wheels, or will you do it yourself?
Well, you see that's the next question, i don't have the gear to do that but I'm pretty sure if I give it to a random local tyre monkey they'll trash em. . .
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex...That was my main concern...Best of luck!

Quick Reply: playing with some 5 spoke 18s - colour suggestions?